Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis's RB25 S14a - The never ending project..

Rides

Lewis's RB25 S14a - The never ending project..

So after selling my adored Toyota Glanza which was running E-Manage blue @ 236bhp.. weighing 800kg.. for a price i think many would find hard to resist. I bought a £100 Ford Fiesta. One owner from new, 93,000miles. Sounds wonderful, but it stank of cat piss and had old 1960's retirment home carpet. (Yes.. it had geniune house carpet cut to fit the original..)

I attended BHP @ Lydden Hill early in 2014 and i had watched a few of the drift sessions. There were a fair few 200's out on track, a S14 and a S14a and a PS13 if i remember. I couldnt help having another look in the pits.
    After having a real look into what type of car i wanted i had finally settled on a Nissan 200sx/S14a whatever you want to call it.

So after counting my pennies, doing some (not enough) homework and abusing the Fiesta for a week and deciding im incapable of living without boost. I decided to take the plunge on one local to me knowing it needed some serious TLC to get her back to glory.

Pictures;

..Apparantly the wing was caused by a "ding" in a car park.... Now im not suspicious or nothing.. but even i knew this was a skid ding!

The only pictures i have currently, i'll get some tomorrow once i service it and clean it up as best i can!

This is a major work in progress. So if any of you boys are RWD lovers, your see threw its misery!

I've already got a dumpvalve to fit tonight, and bought a decat, and a downpipe which will arrive Monday!
    Modifcations so far;

• Lowered on KYB shocks and eibach springs @ 40mm Do-Luck air filter - Original supplied.
    • G-Reddy racing clutch Stage 1
    • Mongoose cat back exhaust
    • Navan rear spoiler unfitted white
    • Urated speakers all round (sorry no silly subwoofer)
    • Wolfrace 18in alloys 9.5j rear / 8.5j front 255/45/18 shoes all round no rubbing

So yeah. The Glanza was a little monster, but this is so fresh and new. And it scares the poo out of me!

I do have some bigs plans to get the sills/floor completely cut/removed. But more importantly a full colour change respray and HOPEFULLY. A full RB25DET conversion if i can find the time, money and more money...money...money...will to live... and money.
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 07-11-2018 at 00:23. Reason: Life

Rides
    Well you can sack off the dump valve immediately, they're ****ing useless pieces of shit on a standard engine like that.

Rides
    It's very tired that car, I remember the ad. Spend your money looking at the bushes and joints before you go mad.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Well you can sack off the dump valve immediately, they're ****ing useless pieces of shit on a standard engine like that.
    I fitted a baileys innitially. It didn't like it, later found out the dump valve had failed, and was not holding shut. I have a HKS SSQV, which is going on this evening with abit of luck. Or, i'm going to pidgeon mod it. But, i have no idea what to use to blank the holes for a DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It's very tired that car, I remember the ad. Spend your money looking at the bushes and joints before you go mad.
    It's not been cared for much i admit. I do love a good old project. I bought my Glanza from Japan, imported it BOG standard. Then modified.

The bushes are all nice, no knocks or bangs. The first concern is a passenger wheel bearing is needed as you can hear it moan sligthly. Anywhere recommened to buy that?

Rides
    A litltle update;

So after i bought..

3" Downpipe
    3" Decat
    3" Exhaust

I was basically time to fit...

During...

Wasn't too bad. I still have a blow coming from my manifold to turbo. But, if i get ahold of the horsham developments one im looking at i'll swap the gaskets etc over when that gets changed!

After endlessly looking for an S14a wing to replace my fubbered one, i failed. So after umming & awrring over what to do. In the end i decided on some vented front wings. I understand they'll need slight prep and modification to fit. But, since the car will be in the bodyshop Monday for the next 2-3 weeks i thought why not... So these have been ordered...

Then a few snaps my friend got whilst i was filling it up...

That's all.. for now...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    Or, i'm going to pidgeon mod it. But, i have no idea what to use to blank the holes for a DIY.
    The end of a broom handle usually works quite well, or a C or D cell battery.

Whatever you've got lying around really.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The end of a broom handle usually works quite well, or a C or D cell battery.

Whatever you've got lying around really.
    Silly question.. If i blank it with somthing.. wont i risk it being sucked in?

EDIT: Scrap that.. it'll be cold venting side. So it'll force it out if anything.

Rides
    Don't use a broom handle wood is not the most airtight of materials

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by thenextdk View Post
    Don't use a broom handle wood is not the most airtight of materials
    I'm going to have a look to see what i can rustle up from the man cave!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    Silly question.. If i blank it with somthing.. wont i risk it being sucked in?

EDIT: Scrap that.. it'll be cold venting side. So it'll force it out if anything.

I used a Battery, and it won't be sucked in. It may just fly out at a hell of a speed, so check the clips are tight!

Rides
    I ended up using some silicone on the inlet side with a giant bolt wedged in! Then an actual blank for the intake side i got off a friend with an S14.

... Little update below...

So, the car is in the bodyshop. They've got the Matt black off. It's back to the original midnight purple which is a gorgeous colour. Only problem is when they've sprayed it they keyed the paint with a wire brush or somtging and it's not restorable! Otherwise I would definately have it purple still!

Here's a few cheeky snaps. Awaiting colour now!

The vented wings are the worst quality ever. The alignment is so off otherwise trimming wouldn't be an issue so the standard wing will be fixed! 10mm gap between the door and wings when the door is shut. Even trimming etc cant do it. So i'll be chasing a refund on that.

I wish they never ruined the original paint! As i wouldve kept it purple!!
    Opinions?!

Rides
    Chargespeed wing are an awesome fit, bit more expensive but its cheaper than getting poor quality to fit nice! A lot of the knightracer stuff i've seen has been awful, such as a R33 front bumper that was 4 inches wider than the car and side skirt that looked like bananas. Apparently they point blank refused to admit that their products didn't fit.
    Also it looks like damson purple, which is a standard s14a colour, not midnight purple which is a lot darker.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    Chargespeed wing are an awesome fit, bit more expensive but its cheaper than getting poor quality to fit nice! A lot of the knightracer stuff i've seen has been awful, such as a R33 front bumper that was 4 inches wider than the car and side skirt that looked like bananas. Apparently they point blank refused to admit that their products didn't fit.
    Also it looks like damson purple, which is a standard s14a colour, not midnight purple which is a lot darker.
    It's a shame about the fitment. But, i'll go down a refund route as see how it goes. I might try the chargespeed ones at a later date.

Damson, ah thats the name! I was guessing at midnight purple to be honest as i know its a Nissan colour i think!.

Rides
    Are Knightracer the ones that supplied a huge RX-7 kit, (Veilside replica or something) that was so far off you could strap it to a Supra and get a better fit???

Rides
    My srb wings were fine with very little prep work before painting

Rides
    Will definately be getting other wings. I'll get it sprayed, and one of the sills looking at. Then i'll look at some other wing choices to be honest!

Main priority now is a manifold! Just bought a 3" turbo elbow.

Out of curiosity with a Manifold, OEM turbo, 3" elbow, 3" downpipe, 3" decat, 3" unsilenced catback. Am i going to be overboosting/hitting fuel cut etc? Also got a induction kit. So i need to look into a h-dev map etc.

Rides
    So i dropped by the paint shop last week to see what progress was like on the slut.
    Starting to be prepared for paint ! Apparantly, i had a massive dent in the roof! This was news to me.. its amazing what they pickup without you ever realising there was a mark there!!

I'll swing by after work to see if its in primer yet hopefully it will be!

I also went to a local meet where they had stands etc.. Corbeau bucket seats hosted it. Ended up spening a fair whack in one of the stands.... whoops!

and lastly, this is due to be fitted once the slut returns home! 3" Turbo elbow. So i'll be 3" from turbo back. Moaar Noizzeeee!

Opinions please!

Rides
    Awesome work mate! looking forward to keep checking up on this! Wish I had the spare £££ to blow on a steering wheel, sick of the standard one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stefans14a View Post
    Awesome work mate! looking forward to keep checking up on this! Wish I had the spare £££ to blow on a steering wheel, sick of the standard one
    Thanks bud! I will have a real project thread going at some point. Need to become a paid member!

Rides
    Ex ep82 & 91 owner here to
    Welcome to high tax and fuel supping lol