Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's S14a Full Restoration - S14 OOH

Rides

Luke's S14a Full Restoration - S14 OOH

Decided I'd do a project thread! Back dating this a fair way! (So bare with me a few nights whilst I catch the thread up to where it currently is)

Brought this car not knowing much about it - barely had a spec list - would't start (More on that later..) Travelled across the country to pick it up! Pushed it from the trailer it was on onto our trailer (With less than 1/4" between the wheels and side of trailer!) and set off back home.

Few pictures

When we got it back, off the trailer, put the battery on charge and tried to start it (again, brought it with a "cam rattle or bearing spun" but was well aware it was more than likely going to a new engine job)

Engine would turn over, but wouldn't fire at all. We had spark, fuel, checked the timing and was good. Then got the compression tester out..

Ouch!
    We decided to take the head off in place (Looking back I'm not sure why we bothered - it was a pain)

Bores all looked good, pistons looked good. Turned the head over...

Well, that explains that.
    Decided to pull the block out as hadn't found the culprit of the "rattle" yet.
    Got it out and stripped down - found a random bolt in the sump (we never did find anywhere with a missing bolt..) but it was pretty bent and smashed up.
    Girdle was badly cracked all over (only got a few pics), oil sprayer was missing, few chips here and there, oh - and the bearing that didn't want to be a bearing

Did find it had an ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch.. (that was destroyed anyway)

Another trip down to Essex to pick up another SR20DET.

Not sure why, but it was such a PITA getting it to mate up with the gearbox?
    I saw and helped the guy split his manual box from the engine, yet my box would not mate up.
    This was after putting the engine back on the mounts, so pulled the engine back out and tried to bolt engine and box up on the floor. Still wasn't having it. Took the clutch off and realigned it a few times, but the shaft was going in past the clutch. Figured it out that the pilot bearing was stopping the input shaft of the box going all the way in? Bodge fix, took a dremel to the pilot bearing to give it a bigger internal diameter so that the shaft would go in.

Finally got it all back in and hooked up - only to find the thread in the head for one of the exhaust manifold studs was stripped. was driving round like that for a bit, until the clicking of the manifold gasket got too annoying.

Changed the plugs to BKR7EIX after it refusing to rev above 4k. Went for a drive to see what it was like, and boost gauge was reading 22psi.. quickly wound that back down, there's the reason for the cracked head and spun bearing?!

Then finally got round to fixing the manifold stud, just needed re-tapping - got away without having to helicoil it.
    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 18:03. Reason: Ditched photobucket..

Rides
    Went to santapod a few times - show and shine and then the SXOC club stand

And a private plate for christmas!

I'm not going to go into too much previous detail about what has been done to the car as I am now starting fresh - and by starting fresh, I mean as fresh as it can get - a bare shell restoration. Oh the joys of rusty Nissans..
    Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 18:08.

Rides
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this! I have always liked this car since you 1st come to japshow.

Rides
    There's going to be a lot of images in this thread.

I knew I had a problem with rust - but I didn't know just how bad. I took a trip down to see Steve Richardson and we had a look at the car and got it booked in for some repair work doing - the plan being repairing the mid section of the car and coming up with a solution for the rest.
    (by repairs I don't mean "patch" works. The shell has had this done previously - and what a mess they had made of it)

I started stripping some of the car down - and it turned out it'd need a lot more work than first expected.

So after getting some space organised in a unit me and a mate began stripping the car down to a bare shell

Unfortunately, we did find some accident damage

And, as you can see, we started uncovering more and more rust.

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 18:15.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this! I have always liked this car since you 1st come to japshow.
    Cheers! Going to be a long process as want to get it done right. Would be a shame scrapping another so it's going to be saved!

Rides
    We got it completely stripped, bar the glass as we didn't want to risk breaking it cutting it out.

The shell was the picked up and taken to where it's having the work done!

Previous bodged repairs

It was put on a rotisserie

And then next was shot blasting, which revealed just how bad the rust was - and also more accident damage! Both rear quarters were full of filler, The rear drivers quarter being the worst

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 18:02.

Rides
    Many Many images to follow.

So I'll start with the passenger side sill repair.

Also - If you are interested in buying the outer sills as seen below for yourself - the company doing the resto for me are making (a limited batch for now) some - ebay link is :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Sil...-/112271006734

See below for images of how these look and fit - Their work is amazing, it speaks for itself.

I'll let the pictures do the talking!!

Rides
    (Continue sill repairs. Reached image limit in last post.)

Rides
    (Continued sill repairs - reached image limit again)

Rides
    Again - the company doing this restoration for me are selling (a limited run) of outer sills for S14. (S13 coming by the end of this week and s15 in progress as is slightly different to s14)

Each side comes in two parts, as seen in the images above.

Ebay listing:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Sil...-/112271006734
    Last edited by LukeShepp; 17-01-2017 at 11:34.

Rides
    wow no messing around with this one. The colour scheme was a bit choice, not sure if i liked it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    wow no messing around with this one. The colour scheme was a bit choice, not sure if i liked it.
    A couple of months into the restoration at the minute so got a bit more to add later after work

Yeah, we decided if I'm doing it then it's going to be done properly!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Good on ya mate, will be lovely when its done!

Rides

Passenger Footwell

Passenger footwell repairs:

Rides
    Drivers footwell / front drivers sill lip

Last edited by LukeShepp; 16-04-2018 at 18:01.

Rides
    There is some seriously impressive effort going into this!

Do you have a plan for what you want it to be like when it's done? Colour, bodykit, engine mods etc?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    There is some seriously impressive effort going into this!

Do you have a plan for what you want it to be like when it's done? Colour, bodykit, engine mods etc?

I want to aim for 500hp - I've been discussing which way to go. Sr will do it, but from what I can see I can go RB and run that more comfortably for around the same cost. Open to suggestions though!

Colour - undecided but It's due for paint in spring so need to decide! I quite like the dark purples (not as dark as LP2) or candy red?

Bodykit.. SRB wings and fenders (Steve and the bodyshop he uses are amazing with fiberglass and it comes out with a glass finish - no waves etc you cant even tell its fiberglass) and looking at the aerokit spec d1... and a Kouki spoiler if I can find one of the damn things..
    This won't be a drifter - so nothing too "drifty" if that even makes sense

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides

Tubs!

Inner arch repairs, and tubs.

With the tubs I didn't want anything too big. This car is not going to be a drifter so doesn't need a lot of clearance for lock. I could have left it as factory - but it was all rusty and was coming out anyway.

I wanted something different, tidy and not too big. And the finished thing is amazing

Rides
    Passenger side inner arch repairs and tub

And then a shot of both of them completed!

Rides
    The quality of work is excellent! I love those front tubs.

Will be keeping my eye on this one