Thread: No power to ignition

Rides

No power to ignition

Basically the circuit direct from the battery which powers the ignition, alternator and HICAS module is only showing 2volts when the battery and the rest of the system is at a good 12volts. I’ve had jump leads on the car and so far i’ve replaced the starter motor, engine and battery ground cables and the power cable to the starter motor as the issue started with a slow crank which has been getting worse and now the ignition does not switch on at all.

If i unplug the 70amp fuse for the alternator the ignitions voltage climbs back up to 12volts but it still won’t attempt to crank. I’ve tried completely disconnecting the alternator incase there was an internal short but it made no difference. I’ve also tried disconnecting the ECU incase that has fried too. I’ve tested the ignition switch with my multimeter and it seems to be working okay.

Does anyone know where the HICAS module is so i can disconnect it and see if theres a short inside? My car has been converted to a manual rack but i’m not sure if the module is still in the car somewhere?

This is the wiring diagram i found which i’ve had a look in too but properly scratching my head now if its not HICAS related

https://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?...iring-diagrams

Hopefully someone has came across this issue before lol

Rides
    taking the hICAS fuse out in the drivers side engine bay fusebox would elimnate the HICAS.
    does the starter turn ok if you stick 12V on the exciter terminal?
    have you tried putting a jump lead from engine to chassis? to eliminate bad earth.

the starter system is nothing to do with the ECU/engine running stuff. all the wining goes from the battery/ignition switch, through the SMJ to the starter.
    clean all the terminals.

Rides
    I don’t have any HICAS fuses or relays in the engine bay fusebox but the car has defiantly had the HICAS deleted as i saw an old add for the car before i brought it. If i put 12volts to the cranking wire on the ignition switch the starter turns over so it’s not the starting circuit.

Rides
    I’ve read about the arch fender loom causing electrical issues. Anyone had similar symptoms?

Rides
    So i managed to get the car running after cleaning up the connector which goes to the alternator. I also had to run an overlay wire from the 12volt feed to the ignition switch to the permanent power feed for the radio as there seemed to be a short on it somewhere and it was getting no power.

My starter motor then started playing up and after several cranks i saw a spark come from the bonnet (may have just been the jump leads) but now the problem is back. I have accessory power but if i turn on the ignition or headlights the car dies. Which sounds like either a drain or grounding issue.

I’ve disconnected the wires from the starter motor (no difference) and i’ve also redone all the grounds under the bonnet.

Any ideas?