Thread: Diff recommendations please

Rides

Diff recommendations please

In the not so distant future I'd like to change/upgrade my diff. Current one has massive backlash and rattles like hell!

I currently have an s14 lsd in my s13, dont think I want to go down the welded route so what diffs would you recommend? Or just refurbish a s14 lsd?

Car is mostly street and only really used for meets, shows etc with maybe 3 or 4 trackdays a year

Rides
    What do you use the car for?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    What do you use the car for?
    Mostly street and trackdays, not drift as I cant drift

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    S15 helical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    S15 helical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can only imagine the price of these now, used to be the go to diff and were normally pretty cheap.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    S15 helical is the way to go if they don't cost a million pounds these days.

Rides
    Helical was an option but can't find any, what about a 1.5 or 2way

Rides
    You can get a helical from Quaife but you need shafts from an open S13 diff to fit it as they only offer it for 29 spline shafts. This is partly my fault as I gave them my early s14 diff to fit the helical for me, but I'm pretty sure the unit was designed for 30 spline shafts. Instead if telling me the shafts wouldn't work, they shortened the original shafts and made a new bit where the splines fit for 29 spline. The awkward thing was I had 30 spline s15 helical shafts to put in it. Think they only charged me £100+ vat too.
    The actual diff is cracking though. With a nismo s tune alignment and ultra high performance tires, I've got all the dry grip I could ask for and a lovely helical whine due to it being solid mounted

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    You can get a helical from Quaife but you need shafts from an open S13 diff to fit it as they only offer it for 29 spline shafts. This is partly my fault as I gave them my early s14 diff to fit the helical for me, but I'm pretty sure the unit was designed for 30 spline shafts. Instead if telling me the shafts wouldn't work, they shortened the original shafts and made a new bit where the splines fit for 29 spline. The awkward thing was I had 30 spline s15 helical shafts to put in it. Think they only charged me £100+ vat too.
    The actual diff is cracking though. With a nismo s tune alignment and ultra high performance tires, I've got all the dry grip I could ask for and a lovely helical whine due to it being solid mounted

I have the original shafts in my 13 from when it was auto and I now run a 14 diff.

How much did it cost in total if you don't mind me asking

Rides
    It was about £1k all in but that was about 5ish years ago

Rides
    I went for the Nismo 1.5 GT Pro. I haven't driven on it yet but I'm told they're good

If you want anything close to refinement in your day to day driving, a 2 way isn't for you. But when you go on a track day it will change your life.

I personally would opt for a 1.5 way diff, something like mine or the Kaaz Super Quiet 1.5 way. All the goodness for fast road but with a little bit of sensible under deceleration to not send you off.

Rides
    I bought a Nismo 1.5 Gt Pro for the garage ornament as I wanted a little more than a helical.

A 2 way is just too much for me at least in a daily. I drove a KAAS 2 way for a bit and its just too much, fun but it sounded like i had a toolbox rolling round in the boot.

Rides
    ^^ I'll second that. Very clattery but very capable.