Thread: Pleased to have a working 200SX again

Rides

Pleased to have a working 200SX again

I got an MoT advisory last August (that's 2020) about the state of my front suspension and with all the lockdowns, plus disagreement with my other half about which way to go to fix the problem (he wanted coilovers, I wanted to stay original) she sat on the driveway for months and went nowhere. (Well, apart from the evening I took her to Urgent Care because the gearshift linkage on the P-reg Golf had disintegrated.) Anyway, with Boris making noises about allowing us to get out and about, it was time to do something about my car. We had 2nd hand front springs/shocks that came from eBay (plus some rear coilovers that I didn't need or want) and the 2nd hand parts were better than what was in the car apart from the gaiters between the springs and shocks, so those got salvaged from mine and one good set of spare parts got assembled and fitted.

I also discovered when I drove her prior to taking her for the suspension work that I could smell brakes. This was a problem that my garage was supposed to have sorted out last year. It turned out to be a seized calliper. The kit comes with pairs and I only needed the nearside one, so there may be a single front brake calliper on eBay one day soon.

While working on the brakes, it was found that the front disks didn't match and they have been swapped out.

There were a few other jobs as well and between waiting for spare parts and people having to isolate due to Covid, the car was away for over 2 months. She spent much of that time in their yard rather than being actively worked on, but the itemised invoice was quite considerable. I might be 66, but I suspect that I won't be retiring any time soon so long as my job remains open.

Anyway, now I have her back, I will enjoy driving her and will consider whether to start exhibiting at shows. I've kept her in original condition, which many haven't been. (e.g. The one I saw at the Edenbridge Motor Show at the weekend, which was so low it looked like a hovercraft. I didn't manage to coincide with the owner, so I don't know whether it rises when you start her up. It looks like it needs to or I'm not sure how he managed to get it across the bumpy field where the Motor Show was held.)

I will probably take the P-reg Golf to the supermarket though: easier to park, doors don't take up as much room; and not quite such a disaster if a runaway trolley gets too close.
    Last edited by helenedith; 13-09-2021 at 20:28. Reason: typo
    HelenEdith
    1999 manual 200SX S14 unmodified
    1997 1300cc Golf

Rides
    Good to see an oem car being kept that way, very rare nowadays!
    Hopefully see it at a show at some point! Jdm combe is next month
    JDM Combe 9 October 2021, click link to join us
    https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....MCombe-9-10-21

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Good to see an oem car being kept that way, very rare nowadays!
    Someone a few weeks ago made a remark that included the words "hen's teeth"! I fought long and hard with my other half over the recent suspension repairs, but ultimately she is my car so I won. My boss's boss is a firm advocate of staying OEM. His Porsche had been slightly lowered and came to grief on a speed bump. He has another car in his garage which he is considering restoring to OEM. He was strongly in favour of me not going down the coilovers route.

Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Hopefully see it at a show at some point! Jdm combe is next month
    Not sure I can get as far as Wiltshire! I'm South East based and we have cats to feed, although our remaining ones all eat dry food, so should be good for a night without us.

The other problem with October is that I'm also an amateur musician and I've committed myself to two music events during October, although it turns out that neither actually clashes with the 9th.

However if I can entice you a bit closer to the South East, maybe you will get to see mine at some point. I may exhibit at Edenbridge next year and I hope that Wrotham will be on as I'd like to exhibit there. Edenbridge isn't too far from the Godstone and Sevenoaks exits from the M25. Wrotham is a short trip down the M20 from the Swanley M25 exit. I think that there should be some other shows local to me, such as one at Crystal Palace and the Bromley Motoring Pageant, but with Covid, a lot just haven't happened in the past 18 months.

Helen
    HelenEdith
    1997 1300cc Golf

Rides
    Wow, a standard SX is as rare as hens teeth! Nice! To be honest I have never been in an SX with coilovers that I liked. Sure they looked low and cool, but awful ride quality. Even the "comfy" ones. So that ruled out coilovers from my plans and so I went with Nismo S-Tunes shocks and springs. Still officially "Nissan". They are a good compromise between comfort and firm. But even compared to the original shocks and springs, the ride comfort is pretty compromised.
    Last edited by markcro; 14-09-2021 at 21:48.

Rides
    Glad to hear that there is approval for my decision to stay standard. After over 20 years of being standard, it seemed wrong to modify her at this late date.

I really must look into where the local shows are and get her entered - there probably won't be many more this year, but there should be time to look around for some shows for next year.

I'm probably primarily interested in London, Kent, Surrey, East/West Sussex and Essex, but I will be in Bury St Edmunds for a weekend in October, so if there's anyone in that area, I could probably have a quick drink of something non-alcoholic on Sunday afternoon/evening before heading back home.
    HelenEdith
    1997 1300cc Golf