Thread: ABS Sensor

Rides

ABS Sensor

Starting to overhaul my front suspension and need to remove the ABS senor from the knuckles, as you can imagine they are well in there. Its highly likely i will break one, if not both getting them out and looking online replacements are £2-300 though are quite rare. I know they're shared across S and R platforms of the same era but doesnt seem to help much.

So my questions are:
    -Tips and tricks for extraction without breaking
    -can you splice another ABS sensor of the same type (passive) to the current loom
    -who makes the sensors eg bosch etc
    -how will the brakes be affected driving with no ABS sensors on the front (module and valve block all still in place)

I know the other alternative is to just do an ABS delete and not worry about it but i think thats a last resort

nissan part numbers i have are 47911-0V860 for LH (47910 for RH) and on the back of the sesnor is 1296 8Z26 which I'm guessing is a manufacturers number but a morning of googling hasnt revelaed any more info.

Any help is hugley appreciated.

Rides
    Yep, they are out of production for both sides and all superseded parts. It's a real annoying situation for the 200SX, Nissan support so many parts that no one cares about.

Best you can do is trace that number back if you need a new one, the manufacturer number. It could be a Bosch number or similar.

Lots and lots of Plusgas or similar over a long period of time would be a first step, but if they're anything like the diff sensors they're likely already powder.

If you have no sensors in the front the system but leave it in the diff, I've no idea how it would respond. It depends if the modulator is built to work both axles together.

If you unplug them, it might show the light which will stuff you for an MoT.
    Last edited by piman2k; 20-08-2021 at 09:51.

Rides
    I'm sure someone on here came up with some aftermarket ones that worked, think they were off a Citroen.

Rides
    To answer your last question, the abs cu will see the difference in speed and show the light on the dash - you could always remove the bulb if you end up in a pinch, and removing the abs is fine as long as you tell your insurers.

Rides
    your speedo will stop working if you take the abs sensors off.
    honestly just wire wheel off any rust and paint those uprights in chassis black paint. don't even think about removing the sensors.

Rides
    https://sxce.info/lexicon/index.php?...n-alternative/

Google Translate is your friend
    There was also a thread on that forum that a few other people use this sensor successfully, i.e. ABS working and the abs light off. That's for S13, though...
    I know S15 has a different ABS unit, not sure if it's more 'clever' than the one of s13. AFAIK all S-chassis take speedo signal from the gearbox...

Rides
    The S15 has no speedo on the gearbox. Instead the ABS computer takes the speed (I presume from the rear sensor) and feeds it to the dashboard.
    Is that link above working? I should look into this as I'm using ABS sensors for my speed. I've always assumed they're just typical variable reluctance sensors that pulse when the toothed wheel passes them, so fairly basic, it'll just be ensuring it's a compatible resistance/amplitude for the ABS ECU to not get upset.

Rides
    Pug 206 Rear ABS sensors was suggested for front hubs, they work. Flipped one of them for a better low speed signal, couldn't find original Nissan connectors so chopped connectors off both ends and crimped my own on.
    Also had to slightly shave the outer plastic to push them home, plus side is a super snug fit.

Last edited by immy21; 24-11-2021 at 00:51.