Thread: E85 on CA18DET

Rides

E85 on CA18DET

Hi,

I wanted to ask on others experience and in case recommendations regarding E85, seeing as prices of E5 and E10 went up i was concidering trying to pump E85, from what i read the decompose of ethanol wouldnt be a real issue since i daily it and during winter im gonna pump regular gas again, i have valbro and FPR also engine was overhauled 12K kms back, its still stock engine with air filer, exhaust, pump and high flow T25 im also looking to installing stage 2 chip by Horsham or with my intentions maybe install nistune ? i just dont know if its worth to go full out on nistune its more flexible but i have no xp with tuning ecus so i would also need someone to make me tune, and counted it all up i dont know if its worth, but still the main question for me is if i can just pump E85 on stock CA18DET and not worry if i tweak the timing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cream_ View Post
    Hi,

I wanted to ask on others experience and in case recommendations regarding E85, seeing as prices of E5 and E10 went up i was concidering trying to pump E85, from what i read the decompose of ethanol wouldnt be a real issue since i daily it and during winter im gonna pump regular gas again, i have valbro and FPR also engine was overhauled 12K kms back, its still stock engine with air filer, exhaust, pump and high flow T25 im also looking to installing stage 2 chip by Horsham or with my intentions maybe install nistune ? i just dont know if its worth to go full out on nistune its more flexible but i have no xp with tuning ecus so i would also need someone to make me tune, and counted it all up i dont know if its worth, but still the main question for me is if i can just pump E85 on stock CA18DET and not worry if i tweak the timing
    I personally wouldn't run e85 without having the car tuned for it, ideally you'd need switchable maps if planning to run e85 and pump fuel.

You would also need to replace your existing fuel lines and get a pump thats compatible with e85 as well as injectors.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Was typing but literally Pointz said everything I had to say.

Why wouldn't you just stick to E5 97/99 RON?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Was typing but literally Pointz said everything I had to say.

Why wouldn't you just stick to E5 97/99 RON?
    As i mentioned in first few words in my post prices went up, to 1,6€ per liter and ethanol is atm 1€ , also was hoping to get better turn and more pops and bangs

Rides
    Does it work financially for your mileage? You'll need a system that can handle it, plus a tune. And I don't think it'll react well with rubberised seals in the engine like injector O-rings.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cream_ View Post
    As i mentioned in first few words in my post prices went up, to 1,6€ per liter and ethanol is atm 1€ , also was hoping to get better turn and more pops and bangs
    Your not going to get decent pops an bangs on an oem ecu safely, you are going to at the very least invest in a decent standalone or plugin which accommodates switchable maps.

Rides
    Probably looking at best part of 3-3.5k by time you've got it tuned and uprated everything to cope with e85.

All that on an unbuilt engine i know where I'd be spending my money 1st but obviously that's only my opinion.

Rides
    Does it work financially for your mileage? You'll need a system that can handle it, plus a tune. And I don't think it'll react well with rubberised seals in the engine like injector O-rings.
    Thats why i was asking if its possible to run E85 on stock ca, thx ��

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Probably looking at best part of 3-3.5k by time you've got it tuned and uprated everything to cope with e85.

All that on an unbuilt engine i know where I'd be spending my money 1st but obviously that's only my opinion.

ye the pop and bangs was meant to be funny, my bad �� ca is pretty rich running on its own, ye i asked on second part if in your guys opinion its better to just use stage chip or invest more and get nistune for ecu and get it tunned. also i didnt meant to run E85 and get instant +300bhp �� if thats how it sounded, i wanted to know if i can use it as alternative fuel for now without hurting the engine, im not planning on forging the engine and going 500hp, just want decent useful power, around 270, so i rly just was curious, thx for feedback guys ��

Rides
    Nistune is good but don't think it is e85 compatible?
    Also nistune won't give switchable maps.

Rides
    Nistune is good but don't think it is e85 compatible?
    Also nistune won't give switchable maps.

Good point right there, guess its capable ? like i never done ecu tunning so i cant say shit but ethanol is pretty much 30% more fueling as you woukd use normally and the switchable maps would nit be as big of an issue since you can load them from laptop, it aint as easy as some standalone ecus but its a lot cheaper and if you dont mind the hassle around it, basically i was thinking if i decide to go stage 3 at some point if it wouldnt be enough power i would spend more on ecu tuning with 2 chips as on nistune almost

Rides
    I think it's one to avoid. 30 odd year old fuel lines, already weakened, unbuilt engine. Good idea but maybe more than it's worth.

Rides
    I think it's one to avoid. 30 odd year old fuel lines, already weakened, unbuilt engine. Good idea but maybe more than it's worth.
    Agreed

Rides
    Agreed

Aight, thx for your feedback guys

Rides
    from what i read the decompose of ethanol wouldnt be a real issue
    It wont be, worth swapping the fuel lines for 8mm e85 safe line and a pump that's e85 safe.
    Also injector size and maybe a flex fuel sensor.

or with my intentions maybe install nistune ?
    Nistune does flex fuel and will cost you more. but if you get towed cause you couldent get fuel....

can just pump E85 on stock CA18DET
    No you need fuel compensation and timing
    You can go all in on one fuel

JP had a thread here on an S14 on a PFC that was E85 only.
    Go give it a read it covers everything you could need