Thread: Nitrogen filled tyres

Rides

Nitrogen filled tyres

Been chatting to people on 370z, Nismo and GTR groups and they reckon inflating tyres with Nitrogen makes the tyres last longer / less wear....

I have no proof of this and awaiting my 370 Nismo wheels to arrive....

Does anyone think there would be any scientific reason that Nitrogen causes less tyre wear???

Rides
    I'm guessing that pure nitrogen is less susceptable to pressure changes with temperature when compared to air. I'm only saying that because of the moisture content in air so it might even make a tiny bit of difference if you pump up your tyres on a humid day. I would think that might have a marginal effect on the evenness of the tyre wear at different temperatures. It's probably negligible on a road car but might be more relevant on a race car where they have to keep a more stable pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rides
    They read it on the internet.

There is no way they've done a back to back test to prove it out on a road car.

Just remember that air is almost 80% Nitrogen.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    They read it on the internet.

There is no way they've done a back to back test to prove it out on a road car.

Just remember that air is almost 80% Nitrogen.
    That's what I thought.

Yes I read it on the Internet, but throwing theories out here. a major percentage of air is oxygen and O2 can promote rust with the steel in tyres?? You must have seen the rusty tyre carcasses...

Rides
    I honestly have never paid attention to rusty tyre carcasses.

Continental say it's more or less nonsense, I'd trust them.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/...-in-tyres.html

Rides
    If you happen to be into welding aluminium you could always rig something up to fill your tyres with argon to see if it makes any measurable difference. I think I'd just go with Continental's advice though

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Continental it is then

Rides
    My local tyre place has been filling tyres with nitrogen for years now. Even my missus's 1.1L Renault tyres! Charges 2 quid extra per tyre for it, but doesn't give you the choice!

It all started with the GTR. Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air. Which I suppose is important to have correct pressures when near 200mph/ pushing the tyres to their limits. But in real life...........feck all difference.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    My local tyre place has been filling tyres with nitrogen for years now. Even my missus's 1.1L Renault tyres! Charges 2 quid extra per tyre for it, but doesn't give you the choice!

It all started with the GTR. Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air. Which I suppose is important to have correct pressures when near 200mph/ pushing the tyres to their limits. But in real life...........feck all difference.
    I bet you they fill it with 78% Nitrogen. It's a special technique that involves having an air compressor and filling the tyres with normal air, then you charge the customer extra saying you filled it with nitrogen for them. They aren't legally wrong as normal air is 78% nitrogen. Just another grift to get a little bit extra profit from people who don't know better

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    I bet you they fill it with 78% Nitrogen. It's a special technique that involves having an air compressor and filling the tyres with normal air, then you charge the customer extra saying you filled it with nitrogen for them. They aren't legally wrong as normal air is 78% nitrogen. Just another grift to get a little bit extra profit from people who don't know better
    Yeah probably! I wouldn't pay for it anyway. Like tap water versus 15 quid a bottle of spring water. Give me the fuking free tap water please!

Rides
    There is absolutely no difference in physical properties of nitrogen and DRY AIR. Both at temperature and pressures used in car tyres are Ideal gases and obey the Ideal gas laws. Air is 78% nitrogen.

Getting DRY AIR from a tyre shop has always been an issue. The compressor has a drier on it, it needs draining daily, it needs to be maintained. There should be water traps in the lines, they need checking and draining. Then one day the drain cock on the air tank flies across the workshop floor because the bottom of the air tank has rotted out due to not being drained.

So they lease a nitrogen machine.

First fill the tyre has 100% air in it at 1 bar, they add Nitrogen to 2 bar and then it has (100+78)/2 = 89% Nitrogen, 11% Oxygen. Is that what they sold you and what you paid for, I don't think so. Let the air out, fill again (100+89)/2 = 94.5% nitrogen, there is still 5.5% Oxygen in the tyre. Let the air out and do it again, (100+94.5)/2 = 97.25% Nitrogen, 2.75% Oxygen. You won't ever actually get a 100% Nitrogen fill. If you don't see them purge the tyre to get the Oxygen out by repeated refilling they aren't doing it right. Those repeat fills cost time and money.

But you need a lot water in the tyre before it becomes an issue.

Rides
    Thank you yet again for making a straight forward topic complicated

Rides
    I used to think nitrogen filled tires were a gimmick, but it's actually true that they can improve fuel efficiency and tire life! The nitrogen molecules are larger so the tires lose pressure more slowly. I filled up my car's tires with nitrogen and have noticed slightly better gas mileage. It does seem to help, though the cost-benefit is debatable.