Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E10 fuel on s15 year 2000?

Rides
    Holy thread bump, I was forced to put £10 of E10 in the tank last week due to the pumps having run out of V-Power, now have missfites and hesitation.
    No boost leeks
    Changed the plugs and new coils and Amp.
    Started checking the fuel and boy oh boy do we have some issues now.
    Opened fuel tank and the Walbro pump foam sleeve all but dissolved away, the filter sock has turned into a skeleton, that crud has found its way into my fuel filter and clogged that up, I also have a leak from the injector seals all over the underside of the inlet manifold, they have perished, can’t get the old injectors flow tested anywhere local but they are in a bit of a sorry state too.
    Have new injectors, seals, rubber lines, pump and filter in the mail, may drop the tank too and empty it out fully.
    Is it the E10 fuel that has done it? Most likely as no problems with car up until that point, and its all looking fuel related right now.

Whoops.

Rides
    You could probably attribute the rough running to it, but I cant imagine it's rotted all that with 5 litres of the stuff.

Rides
    I recon it has, its only done 6000 miles in the last 10 months since building it with new Nismo 740cc injectors which have now failed with melted tips, all new OE rubber seals now like gelatine and squish-able to paste, and the new Walbro pump sock and cover rotten away, new fuel filter now clogged with thick black paste same consistency of remains of the pump cover. I can’t attribute it to anything else thats caused that level of deterioration so fast.
    I had a quarter tank of fuel, I needed a squirt to get me the full distance home, empty light came on as I parked on driveway, car sat for a week, and now all these melted components. Will get pics up when its daylight to show all the issues.

If anyone does run normal E10 pump fuel with no issues, please let me know so I can search to find the cause of this.

Rides
    The S14 tank holds 55 litres.

You had, pessimistically, 14 litres in the tank.

You added £10 of E10 at say, £1.55 litre roughly, giving approximately 6.5 litres in.

E10 is up to 10% ethanol. Meaning at worst case, 650ml of ethanol entered the tank.

650ml of Ethanol as a constituent of around 22 litres of fuel in the tank is, at worst, 3% ethanol.

VPower has had 5% ethanol in it for decades.

Edit - So, at worst, if you say you had already 5% in there you had 700ml in there already, so you're just breaking 6%.

Edit 2 - I presume the S15 tank is the same as the S15.
    Last edited by piman2k; 12-10-2023 at 19:44.

Rides
    In Ireland(the South) all petrol is E10 by law since early this year. So my 1999 14a has been running it for the 6 months, as well as my 30-odd year old TVR. I've no choice, so there is no point in worrying! Also you have to remember that in the 2010s, a good few people were running big power E85 SXs and everything held up fine.
    My main worry is letting it sit outside during the winter and it absorbing moisture.
    Last edited by markcro; 16-10-2023 at 19:46.