Thread: Taillight Seals/ sealant>

Rides

Question Taillight Seals/ sealant>

I am getting some water coming into the boot and I suspect that it is the taillight seal. It probably has gone hard with age. So what is the best thing to seal it with?
    I was told that normal silicone will rust metal as it is slightly acidic. But since it will be on top of paint I doubt that would be an issue?
    But I also don't want to glue them in. Any ideas?

I wonder if the original seals are available.. but I doubt it.

Rides
    It's super, super unlikely to have gone hard. It's a non setting RTV usually caked around it and sticky every time I remove a set from a car.

If you check the parts book, there's something that looks like a foam seal but I've never come across it.

Rides
    Cool thanks

Rides
    you can search on ebay for the butyl rubber sealant for the soft tacky stuff, if someone hasn't been careful if the lights have been off before, they need to be replaced. I think there's some other seams on the bootfloor that open up over time.

I put some UV dye in a bucket of water, poured it all over the car and then in the dark, shone a UV torch inside the boot, shows up really nicely.

on the seams I'd use a polyurethane sealer, tiger seal, sikaflex or a proper brushable car seam sealer, whatever you have access to.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.