Thread: PS High pressure replacement

Rides

PS High pressure replacement

I'm looking to change the old bulky power steering high pressure line to something more modern and thinner. I have been doing some extensive reading online and I am probably more afraid than before now haha.

Apparently it has to hold 1000PSI (max pump pressure according to the manual). So from what I have read no push-lock, ptfe or an fittings will work since they are mostly design for ~100 psi applications (afaik). Only solution is crimp fittings.

I've looked for hydraulic crimpers and they sell some for AC lines, which are much lower pressure but still it is a crimp so it should work the same... right? I hope. If it does it's a nice solution because it has different dies I can use for all the other hoses on the car and I could do my own lines (currently going to the shop and having the clocking set correctly is a pain)

I've also looked for ready to sell lines for the s13 PS specificaly and they are quite expensive at 100€+ but none are crimped, which seems a bit odd honestly, do they hold, has anyone tried them?

I'm no really sure where to go from here I would love to here from some who has done that and experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Rides
    Why not look at an electric pump? As it will mount on chassis everything can be a hard line and no need for flexi for engine movement.

Rides
    Due to the pressures that the line sees, I doubt you will find a quality replacement/aftermarket line for a cheaper price than what you have already found. I intend to go for the Chase Bays replacement line for my SR S14 as they have a good reputation for quality parts. Only issue is that they are in America so delivery won't be fast.

Rides
    ISR and Phase 2 are both crimped? Think they're the mosy popular aftermarket options

Rides
    Think Mike might be talking about the two short lines on the rack as well, which might not be what the OP is talking about. If it’s the two short lines on the rack there’s also a GKTech line kit made by Goodridge.

Rides
    Yeah I mean the rack to pump high pressure one. I've looked at the chase bays one and it is crimped and seems good quality.

ISR and p2m as well, hadn't seen those before. But they are for SR only, I'm currently using the CA18 pump on the SR so the fitting is different. The chase bays does have the CA option, but I prefer the others because they don't use adaptors, shame.
    It's expensive but I think I will go for the CB, I doubt my local hydraulic shop has anything better.

I would love to also upgrade the rack lines since they are old and stuck but in Spain they are very finicky with the use of non-hardlines, I'm doing the pump one because the OEM is already part hose so it might be ok.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rides
    Oh no, then you were talking about the same one as Mike I believe.

Rides
    most local hydraulic shops will sell the hose rated to it - it's the fittings that seem to cause problems. the M14 O ring fitting thing on the rack seemed to be the biggest pain.

I ended up buying one from RawBrokerage for a RHD RB25 S13 swap - was the fittings either side converted to AN and then an AN crimped line. hasn't leaked at all. I wouldn't worry about the adaptors.

are you sure about those pressure ratings for AN? I'm sure the lowest for a -6 is like 3000psi.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 19-07-2021 at 13:55.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Yeah the big problem isn't the hose, it's the fitting method. Found this on an AN fitting website:

"Pressure Rating: 1500 PSI - note: crimp-on fittings are recommended for applications over 500 PSI."

And generally that's the common feeling. The screw fittings just don't have enough strength, and the steering is usually 150-200 psi at idle but can jump up to 1000 so that's when it will blow.

And yes, that M14 O-ring fitting is the biggest pain no doubt. I'm guessing this is the one?: https://rawbrokerage.com/products/is...h-o-ring-240sx
    If I could find a crimp variant it would be great, will see what is there but I wonder if it's very nissan specific or if it is an actual global use thread.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if it's the images, but the ISR fitting seems much shorter than the Chase bays fitting.
    Last edited by suixo; 20-07-2021 at 08:24.

Rides
    I've been using the normal raw brokerage screw fittings since I put my RB in - it was on the road as a normal car for 18 months (before I crashed it), car parks, low speed turning - all likely to be higher pressure situations. I've just got the thing running again and have bled the system up just fine, no leaks, just screwed the AN line back on.

I don't know what would have been supplied with mine at the time but it looks the same.

bear in mind recommended and needed are two different things. if they were having PAS fluid blowouts on every one that they supplied, I don't think they'd still be selling them.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    i have the chase bays high pressure line which im getting rid of as ive gone down the electric pump route, the line from chase bays is really well done and has good quality fittings. there was no problems at all when i was running it.
    Id imagine someone would have come forward if their AN fittings or line would have let go.

Rides
    I made my own not tested the car yet but it doesn't leak doing lock to lock multiple times on axle stands.

I should probably take more photos to show the connections but don't have any to hand at the moment.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post
    I made my own not tested the car yet but it doesn't leak doing lock to lock multiple times on axle stands.

I should probably take more photos to show the connections but don't have any to hand at the moment.
    Is that just a normal AN line or crimped connection? I was under the impression the high pressure line needs to be a proper crimped connection. You don't wanna be blowing a PS line near a red hot manifold. ATF is very flammable!