Thread: "Delan" 200sx - first ever project car

Rides

"Delan" 200sx - first ever project car

Hi all,
    I decided to keep my S14a for a long time and give all my love to it.
    My welcome post + a short story is available here: https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....0sx-new-owner)

1.jpg

2.jpg

I plan to keep this car stock with a few minor changes. They all will be revertable to its stock condition.
    I am also a newbie in the car repair/restoration thingy, so that I will count a lot for your help. So please excuse all my silly questions.

When I purchased the car - the previous owner told me there is no VVTI rattle, but sadly today - when I started the engine after a few days - I could hear the strange rattling noise at the very beginning of the engine start. It has gone away after 2 seconds, but I presume that is not a good sign.

I live in Leicester.
    Fortunately, there is a garage that actually owns silvias and regularly drifts on a track, and they know a lot about them.
    So I decided to drop my car at their garage for a full and general health check, including engine condition, etc.
    I will find out on Wednesday, fingers crossed.
    I will keep this thread updated when I will make any progress in the project.

Here is my plan:

1 - Bring the engine and turbo to their best condition
    2 - Check gearbox and clutch - repair if necessary
    3 - Get nicer wheels
    4 - Maybe some power increase mods (revertable, of course)
    5 - Repair any corrosion spotted
    6 - Enjoy

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Rides
    Lovely! :-)

Just as a note on the VVT rattle: I have owned my SX for 16 years, 12 of those years as my only car and so was my daily driver. On start up, engage 1st gear, rev to pull away, and sometimes I would get, but not always, VVT rattle which would disappear after 2 seconds. Presumably as the oil pressure is stabalised. But it could sound nasty.

So my cure:
    - Start car, clutch, raise revs 100 or 200 rpm, select 1st gear, put back to neutral.
    - Clutch, select 1st gear, just feel out the throttle by raising the rpm slowly by a few rpm.. No VVT rattle. :-) Fully raise revs and pull away.

Sounds like a faff, but it only takes a few seconds, and I have done this for 16 years and counting and the engine is sweet as a nut.
    Last edited by markcro; 28-06-2021 at 13:35.

Rides
    Hi all,
    Thanks, markcro, for the info!

I have some good news after the car health check at RG Motors Ltd in Leicester.
    The engine is in fantastic condition with a good cylinder compression tested at 160,158,158,160
    Guys told me there is no vvti rattle - I was a bit overacting in this
    Some bushes to be replaced - will go with the softest poly bushes, I think?
    bush.jpg

Rocker gasket cover - new seal required, a little leak from the turbo, and small leak from the power steering pump (probably, as it needs investigation)

General corrosion is minimal, with only 2 spots where needs attention soon.

They told me that it is the best example they ever seen (they seen a lot of them as they do drifting regularly and obviously they service other cars too)

Then about the power increase, I will definitely want to do something to feel a bit more kick

We have also done a dyno run to prove the power which came out as expected for a good condition engine.

dyno.jpg

Guys told me what are the main mods to be made for stage 1, but I am happy to read your pieces of advice on what I could do to gain power and revert to stock if needed.

Thanks a lot, and have a great evening!
    Last edited by tommyveldel; 03-07-2021 at 19:04.

Rides
    Looks like a great car.
    All depends how much you want to spend, most things can be reverted back to stock if you desired. I would start by asking yourself what you want to use the car for and how much power you want/can handle.
    If there is any rust start there, get rid of it as quickly as possible.
    As for the wheels, personal choice my friend.

Rides
    Wheel choice will be limited by the shape of the rim and offset rather than wheel size. A lot will fit with small (5mm) spacers with the standard 280x30 brakes and it does the look no harm to be a bit more spaced out in the arches. Go with hubcentric spacers though as otherwise you can get trouble with wheel imbalance. If you are not lowering it, you should be able to get most wheels under the arches but check for arch rubbing as there is wiring under there that causes all sorts of problems when it wears through. Going above 18s is going to affect the ride and make it less practical as a road car in the pot-hole infested UK. Try to get sturdy wheels too as otherwise they will get knocked out of shape by potholes. Rotas are solid aftermarket wheels and reasonably priced.

If replacing bushes, try to replace with standard if you are keeping it as a road car. Poly will always result in a less sophisticated ride (move noise and less smoothness).

Bravo for planning to keep it fairly standard. That's the best way to protect your investment.