Thread: Seat mounting thread stripped

Rides

Seat mounting thread stripped

The front outer bolt hole for my seat has partially stripped, i’ve ran a tap down it but it’s still no good, the bolt threads in but if i try to tighten it it’s going to completely pull the threads. I’ve looked underneath the car for the nut but it’s not visible or accessible. I don’t want to drill it out to a bigger hole incase the nut breaks off. I was thinking maybe coat the bolt with some epoxy so when its screwed in it won’t work loose again. Any ideas?

Rides
    Either helicoil it or drill it out and tap it for a larger bolt, anything else is just bodging it up.

Rides
    if you haven't got a welder, Mike's options are sound. if you helicoil it, coat the helicoil in red loctite as you thread to where you want it to sit. I think there's enough meat for an m12 bolt but I couldn't guarantee it.

m10x1.25 helicoil kit is what you want, otherwise I'd just cut the section out, find a nice m10x1.25 nut and replace it, tacking it in with the seat bolted down, then properly welding with it back out.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    drill the threads out and put a nut behind it if you can get access.

Rides
    Cheers guys, gonna go with a helicoil and red loctite as i don’t have access to a welder. Should i insert the helicoil with loctite on the outer thread and allow it to dry before fitting the seat bolt or fit the helicoil and insert the bolt straight away?

Rides
    For a better solution to Helicoil, look up time-serts by Wurth

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tonksie93 View Post
    Cheers guys, gonna go with a helicoil and red loctite as i don’t have access to a welder. Should i insert the helicoil with loctite on the outer thread and allow it to dry before fitting the seat bolt or fit the helicoil and insert the bolt straight away?
    let the loctite set before the bolt goes in, just stops the helicoil unwinding when you take the bolt out next time

oh and timeserts are better but last time I looked, it was all bloody expensive
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    oh and timeserts are better but last time I looked, it was all bloody expensive
    Yeah, that's the downside, they are pretty pricey. But then, I wouldn't skimp on seat belt fixings