Thread: 300ZX brakes into S13, also spacers

Rides

300ZX brakes into S13, also spacers

Hey guys,

I'm swapping in S14 front calipers and Z32 rears onto my S13 and I need your help/opinion on a couple of things:
    -The Z32 rears use drum handbrakes and from searching forums I see the UK S13s have drum handbrakes so it's just a matter of swapping discs and calipers - do you know if all Euro S13s have drums as well? I haven't dismantled mine yet so I'm not sure, from staring at it it looks like it's thick enough that a drum mechanism is hiding under there but I need to be sure before I start taking stuff apart as parts take a long time to arrive nowadays (and are expensive, can we please go back 10 years )

-Regarding the brake master cylinder, I've Googled around and I honestly became more confused as there's people recommending a plethora of different BMCs - what do you guys use and works well for you? Do I need a booster to go along with it? Also, might have to run the stock BMC for a bit - pedal feel aside, would it be safe?

-I have wheels that do not clear the new calipers and so I'll need to use spacers - I'm going to get some bolt-on hubcentric spacers but I have to decide either to get thicc boi 30mms to clear the studs (wheels are 4 and 5 pattern so there's no recess for the lugs) or get 20mm ones and slice the studs down to get them to fit.

-Regarding the rear disc splash shields, is there a way to remove them without mangling them or removing the hubs? I'd like to keep them with the larger Z32 discs, and I don't really want to have to grind/bend them in situ but I guess I will if the other option is having to remove everything to get to them
    Last edited by boogie; 15-06-2021 at 00:56.

Rides
    All 200sx s13's came with rear drums.
    180sx came with same setup as s14 ie caliper and disc.

BMC I agree people will recommend all different ones, my suggestion.
    Keep the oem one and see how you like the pedal feel. I ran oem with z32 brakes all round and never felt the need to complain but also depends how you use the car.

I'm personally not a fan of big spacers but if you got an arch to tyre gap to fill then kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Or invest/swap for better fitting wheels.

You cannot remove the dust shields without splitting the hub from the knuckle, could you not tin snip the lip off?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    when you have the rear discs off run a grinder around the bits that need cutting off.

just swap the calipers and the discs for the rear.

make sure you have the z32 front caliper mounting bolts.

Rides
    Thanks for the info!
    I'll stick with the stock BMC then, I guess it should be fine as I won't really do much of "aggressive" driving.
    For the shields I'll just snip the excess lip then tidy it up with a grinder, sounds good.

Rides
    The 4 pot calipers don't use a banjo on the brake hose, they have a union that seals on a nipple in the caliper. Most people buy new hoses. I carefully filed a flat land on the caliper so the banjo would seal and drilled the end of the banjo bolt to clear the nipple.