Thread: Installing the stock cat

Rides

Installing the stock cat

anyone know what theses fixings are on the stock cat?:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arf-yOsTGQrvoTC1...1aOEi?e=BvvHZf

I want to remove the decat pipe and replace it with the stock cat, can i just one to one swap out the decat with the cat? i.e. should be there be any additional fixings holding the stock cat up?

I cant see anything additional in the service manual other than some bracket connected to the downpipe which i think is what I see here:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arf-yOsTGQrvoSoj...g1KL_?e=p86APs

cheers

Rides
    The rear of your exhaust doesnt seem to have the bolt up mounting for the rear of the cat unless you have taken a picture of the rear end.
    Most decats have a section that drops out to fit the kitty back in for those with no friends in the MOT industry ;-)

Rides
    The first picture shows the mountings for the heat shield.

It should just bolt back in fine.

Rides
    I realize now there is more to this than I thought, apparently cats have an orientation to them and you cant install them the wrong way

From research most have arrows on them to show the flow of exhaust but this one doesn't, I'm even doubting if this is the stock cat now, the only markings on it says X5, its doesn't look like any of the stock cats I see in pictures

There are honeycombs in both sides and one is more sooty than the other so assuming that is the front?

The service manual picture is really poor so its hard to tell but there are no images of those clips on mine or any indication of a fixing to the heat shield

Sorry I know this sounds silly but I didn't take the stock cat out myself so still not sure which way round/way up it goes
    Last edited by sr20det1; 08-05-2021 at 17:21.

Rides
    I realize now there is more to this than I thought, apparently cats have an orientation to them and you cant install them the wrong way

From research most have arrows on them to show the flow of exhaust but this one doesn't, I'm even doubting if this is the stock cat now, the only markings on it says X5, its doesn't look like any of the stock cats I see in pictures

There are honeycombs in both sides and one is more sooty than the other so assuming that is the front?

The service manual picture is really poor so its hard to tell but there are no images of those clips on mine or any indication of a fixing to the heat shield

Sorry I know this sounds silly but I didn't take the stock cat out myself so still not sure which way round/way up it goes

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arf-yOsTGQrvoyeN...TJp0c?e=Z3kJmP
    Last edited by sr20det1; 08-05-2021 at 17:28.

Rides
    Er... orientation?? well there could be but ... emm..... it never mattered what my car spat out its exhaust for an MOT as the test sensor was always up the rear of a nearby 1ltr micra.

Rides
    There does seem to be a common orientation and I think I figured it out by looking at a few pics on the web, this is the best example i found: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/thr...inside.241747/

So heat shield underneath (i don't have one which is part of the confusion) and shorter side facing towards the engine

From what i read though only 3 way cats have a direction of flow arrow, if this is a 2 way cat it doesn't really matter I guess

First MOT with this car so wanted to get it right

Rides
    Just realized, previous owner fitted an HID kit for the front headlights, that's a definite MOT fail these days, any idea what is the quickest path I can take to getting this MOT legal again

Presumably its not as simple as just putting stock bulbs back in again?

Cheers
    Last edited by sr20det1; 11-05-2021 at 14:52.

Rides
    My ... cough... HID lights always passed an MOT - so did my catless system because of, i think it was magic.

Could have been money, or me changing them out for the MOT (if plod is listening, its because my car was 200% road legal so sod off)

Its always good to have friends in the mechanics trade.

Rides
    ohh and to help out, i would fit stock bulbs, you would have to rewire the stock feeds from the relay for the HIDs to the lamps - not an epic pain in the arse but still..

Rides
    yeah think that's what am going to do, just need it back on the road asap - cheers bud!

Rides
    The cat will only fit one way when you actually come to bolt it in.

Also, the HID will pass without any issue at all, the s14a (which I'm assuming you have) came with projector lenses anyway and unless you found the most anal MOT tester in the UK the beam output from the aftermarket HID;s will be fine and it will pass the test.

Rides
    Thanks CMR, yup Cat went in fine

HID being removed now as test station said it was an instant fail, they tried but couldn't get the beam within spec

Rules on HID/LED seem to have got a lot stricter as per 2021 this year