Thread: GTX2871r opinions

Rides

GTX2871r opinions

Trying to decide what turbo i should go for on my PS13. I am aiming for 400bhp and obviously would like as fast spool as possible. I was going to go for a GT2871r .86 but seeing as they have been around for a while just wondering if there is any newer and better alternatives. The car is purely a weekend car not a drifter so i would like more top end than mid range power. I may open the engine up down the line and go for more power but if i decide to i will just change turbos. Current mods are:

Stock SR20DET redtop
    Apexi intake
    FMIC
    Walbro 255 hardwired
    Sytec AFPR
    Japspeed elbow
    3” turbo back (no resonator)
    Innovate SCG1 boost controller with wideband
    R8 coil packs
    Alloy radiator
    Low temp thermostat
    Bottom mount tubular manifold

Once i have decided and fitted the turbo i then have a Power FC and Z32 MAF ready to be fitted at my chosen tuners, along with the injectors, thinking 740’s should do?

How would a GTX2871r .64 work with what mods i’ve got and my target hp?
    Last edited by tonksie93; 22-04-2021 at 11:34.

Rides
    The turbo isn't enough to break 400hp.

But the car will be hilarious because the combination of a GTX and a small frame will be brilliant. There is a GTX29 in the range as well to consider.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I’m running 418bhp atf with a gt2871r. It’s not slow but it’s really old tech turbo wise.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    The GTX2871r seems a bit of an oddball mismatch TBH, The Compressor side is easily capable of flowing well over 500Hp but its mated to a T28 Turbine that will realistically top out in the low 400hp range....

If 400Hp is your goal, then the GTX2867r or even the GTX2860r (a modern disco potato) would be more suitable and spool much quicker on the Red top SR.

Rides
    How would a GTX2867r or GTX2860r compare to a GT2871r .86 if i could get my hands on one? I would ideally like a compressor with a direct fit, it would save me from having to fabricate a new intake.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tonksie93 View Post
    How would a GTX2867r or GTX2860r compare to a GT2871r .86 if i could get my hands on one? I would ideally like a compressor with a direct fit, it would save me from having to fabricate a new intake.
    The old school GT2871r (.86) will probably get to your power goals, but it will be annoyingly laggy, Particularly on a Non-VVT SR..

Either of the GTX series would be like a 'Night & Day' difference with much less lag and a cooler charge temperature from the improved design of the compressor wheel, in real terms, you should be able to get more power from the same boost level.

The frame size and overall compressor housing size will be very similar to stock, but i think the entire GTX series use a an Anti-surge housing so will have a slightly bigger inlet 'Throat' so you would need to use a silicon reducer elbow (easily found on the Bay etc..)
    Last edited by hooky; 23-04-2021 at 07:51.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    ... and a cooler charge temperature...
    Is this from experience?
    I've seen the compressor maps and they usually spin faster than the old gt-r series. Wouldnt that make more heat generally?

Rides
    or one of those t28 flanged borgwarners.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    The GTX2871r seems a bit of an oddball mismatch TBH, The Compressor side is easily capable of flowing well over 500Hp but its mated to a T28 Turbine that will realistically top out in the low 400hp range....

If 400Hp is your goal, then the GTX2867r or even the GTX2860r (a modern disco potato) would be more suitable and spool much quicker on the Red top SR.
    The GT28 frame is limited to 450hp, which is where the turbine brick walls.

Turbine wheel & shaft is the same across all GT28, GTX28 G1 and GTX28 G2 all that has changed is compressor wheel aero.

The GTX2871r is still a good choice, and not too laggy. Although if you want something really responsive, a GTX2867r Gen2 is a winner in terms of response and capability of making 400hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks guys, think i will be going for the GTX2867r then, should i go for the .86 turbine? Based on not having VVT means i probably won’t have good midrange anyway.