Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pad choice for skyline calipers

Rides

Pad choice for skyline calipers

Hi all

Have skyline gtst front calipers on my S14 but the stopping distance is pretty poor. I re bled everything and checked the pistons but all OK. Think it may be the standard pads.
    I was looking at the ebc pads and was wondering is red or yellow better to go for. Yellow seems track but has no bedding in period whereas it says red could be up to 1000 miles for bedding in.
    Dream would be ferodo but at 260 a pair they're just not practical.

Thanks

Rides
    I have k sport brakes with ferodo pads up front and are very good, last for ages!! I have z32 rear brakes with yellow stuff pads and again they have lasted for a long time. This combo is amazing, although I’ve never used them on track.

Rides
    I would bet that you have a sticky caliper. Even the standard fully working SX brakes are pretty good (no matter what people say). I used for a few years standard pads, Ferrodo 2500s, EBC Redstuff and EBC Yellowstuff on track and daily driving. (on standard SX brakes and then Skyline brakes). Yellowstuff are road and track. The first generation was track only.
    And this is what I found:

Standard pad: Great initial cold bite and good stopping from 60mph, once. But stopping from 100mph, or a few hard stops and they cook very quickly and fade quickly.
    EBC Redstuff: I found these "okay". Good cold bite and good braking when you are cooking them, but not confident inspiring on track. But they never let me down.
    Ferrodo 2500s: Poorish to okay cold bite, but once warm- amazing! They stop, stop and stop. Found them uncookable. Hard on disks though and at 240 a pair, they are dear.
    EBC Yellowstuff: Good enough cold bite, and as far as I can tell as good as the 2500s when pushed. They just keep on stopping! But they are VERY dusty. And are a good bit cheaper than the 2500s. So I have been using these for the last 8 years or so. As good as the 2500s but way cheaper.
    Last edited by markcro; 15-04-2021 at 14:47.

Rides
    If you are worried about the state of your rims, get them fully protected/ceramic coated before using EBC Yellowstuff if you go that way, they are super dusty. You'll thank me when you come to clean them!
    Last edited by Mike41288; 15-04-2021 at 18:02.

Rides
    Thanks all. Mark would I not have juddering or pulling to one side of the caliper was sticking?

Rides
    probably unrelated but do you have a brake master cylinder stopper?

Rides
    Have a bm57 as I have z32 rears too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    Thanks all. Mark would I not have juddering or pulling to one side of the caliper was sticking?
    If bad then yes. But if it's just one piston out of 4, then maybe not. Have you check each piston individually? Including the rears? The should extend and then push back in smoothly and easily. And each piston should push back in with the same amount of force.
    One of these makes pad changes a breeze and is also very handy for testing the pistons:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-5233...a-906077555266

Eitherway I would recommend upgrading the pads anyway, it makes a huge difference especially to repeated braking.

Also completely flush your system with fresh brake fluid. When was the last time that was changed?
    I use Motul high temp fluid as on track even the wheels are scalding hot.

I never fitted a brake stopper because in reality, my thinking is, if your firewall is flexing that much then you have other things to worry about. But that said I have never tried one either.

How bad is your braking when you say it takes a long time to stop?
    Last edited by markcro; 15-04-2021 at 22:08.

Rides
    My hyundai i40 stops better than my 300hp S14 so think there's an issue ���� I took the calipers off and moving freely. I'll give the pads a go anyways. Thanks everyone

Rides
    My hyundai i40 stops better than my 300hp S14 so think there's an issue ���� I took the calipers off and moving freely. I'll give the pads a go anyways. Thanks everyone
    Standard pads are not designed to be "sporty" in any way. Gotta remember that these cars were designed as tourers and are using an almost 30 year old calliper design. I bet you will use a better pad and see miles of difference! Keep us updated on what you chose and what differences you find!

Rides
    Then it could be just sh1t pads. Change them and let us know. And also, all pads need bedding in. So the new pads will get better and better with use.

As a side note, a mate of mine has a Beemer 340i, and after a bit of spirited driving the brakes were cooked. To the point that he nearly rear ended me a few months back. Last month he changed all 4 standard pads to EBC Yellowstuff. The difference is night and day, and they aren't even fully broken in yet. So hopefully you will find a massive difference.

Also don't be fooled by modern over assisted instant brake grab versus actual braking power. My missus's Renault will put you through the windscreen if you just sneeze on the peddle. But a hard stop from 60mph and you realise "where are my brakes?!?!". Whereas my SX, stops hard progressively from whatever you want to zero. It doesn't have the overly assisted instant grab, but it has serious braking power.

Rides
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm gonna try the yellow stuff and see how I get on.

Rides
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm gonna try the yellow stuff and see how I get on.

Rides
    Are S14 and r33 gtst the same pads?

Rides
    Are S14 and r33 gtst the same pads?
    Yes the are. The GTST and SX calipers are practically identical.. The only real difference being that the SX calipers are cast iron and the GTST ones are alloy.

Rides
    Are you going to swap the discs as well? Conceptua seem to have the EBC yellows and discs at a reasonable price

Rides
    I wasn't planning it as the discs are in good condition

Rides
    Yellowstuffs have an aggressive break in coating on the face that will resurface the disks to the shape of the new pad and really aides bedding in

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    nice one, also thinking of yellowstuff myself but just went with replacement Brembos for now

does anyone use these OEM shims? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...7cfc%7Ciid%3A1

The service manual shows these in the images, fitted them last night, was a right pain due to the extra compression of the calipers required to fit them in with the new pads

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sr20det1 View Post
    nice one, also thinking of yellowstuff myself but just went with replacement Brembos for now

does anyone use these OEM shims? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...7cfc%7Ciid%3A1

The service manual shows these in the images, fitted them last night, was a right pain due to the extra compression of the calipers required to fit them in with the new pads
    I stopped using them as the Yellowstuff pads come with a backing already in place and as you found, there it very little room to get these in, so I left them out.