Thread: Restoring my S14 Suspension

Rides

Restoring my S14 Suspension

Right so my Grandad had an S14 from factory and changed nothing on it, so when he passed it down to me I want to keep it as stock as possible. I have put an aftermarket head unit in but only because the 10 cd change failed!

I'm currently dealing with rust issues (when do we not...) and the dreaded seized calipers.

However, my big job is a restoration of the front and rear suspension as all my bushes and ball joints have perished after 20 odd years on the road (who can blame them).

A quick google search and I can get replacement bushings and all the suspension parts I need however, this would ruin my nice and boring stock car. I don't want bright orange/green coil overs or harder polyurethane bushings that give me extra performance. They will make the car harsher to drive. I just want to get bushes that are oem but new.

A lot of the metal bits of the suspension (the arms) I can remove the rust and repaint, RRC YouTube channel style.

My coil overs aren't necessarily buggered but I know when I take it all apart they might not go back on the way they came of!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone in advance.

Jack

Rides
    HardRace do OEM style sleeved rubber bushes but they will be stiffer than OEM units https://www.hardrace.co.uk/vehicle-s...t-0014730.html
    At £750 it's a lot of money, although getting all OEM Nissan bushes will most likely be a similar or more cost.
    If you are dead set on OEM suspension then check this out https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c...4/2653-sr20det
    The choice is yours but I would go for the HardRace ones. I don't think you get noticeable NVH changes unless you are going for stiffer engine, gearbox, diff and subframe mounts.

Rides
    I replaced some rear suspension arms and shocks etc. with after markets ones which came painted in lovely metallic silver, purple and red paint finish/ They were very nicely painted. But the first thing that I did before fitting was to paint everything black. Gives a more standard look and added extra protection.
    The different colours of poly bushes represent different stiffnesses. Is blue the softest? (can't remember) Anyway, that is what I would go for. It's an upgrade but still comfy.

Rides
    That 'amayama' page is brilliant I didn't know you could be that specific with getting parts!

Dam £750 is a lot but you get what you pay for and they do last a long time.

I really appreciate you both getting back to me so quickly.

I love the idea of painting it all black to keep it stealthy and stock looking!

Rides
    Or.. you could make ur own bushings by purchasing the liquid stuff. If you want to get creative and use the original arms etc.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don't think you have a choice if you want to change bushes, most of the bushes on the suspension (lower arms, control arms etc) are not available as best I know. They were not serviceable parts with Nissan, the arms were. I am pretty sure you can still buy the rear subframe bushes and the ARB drop links from Nissan, but the rest I think you're in the territory of buying new arms.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here.

Another option, if you're adamant about OEM is to consider OEM+. You can buy all the control arms, front and rear, in Nismo variants with (supposedly) mildly stiffer rubber bushings. But the jury is out on whether or not they're any different to stock. And Nismo S Tune suspension has been discontinued but there is New Old Stock out there for the taking.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Pretty sure hardrace do a full Oem style bushings set. Get that, powdercoat the arms and subframe back to black, and then finish it off with some nice new balljoints and it’ll be a new car again.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    HardRace do OEM style sleeved rubber bushes but they will be stiffer than OEM units https://www.hardrace.co.uk/vehicle-s...t-0014730.html
    At £750 it's a lot of money, although getting all OEM Nissan bushes will most likely be a similar or more cost.
    If you are dead set on OEM suspension then check this out https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c...4/2653-sr20det
    The choice is yours but I would go for the HardRace ones. I don't think you get noticeable NVH changes unless you are going for stiffer engine, gearbox, diff and subframe mounts.
    Beat me to it I see. If you want an Oem style car this is likely the best option.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Cheers everyone, I think I'll go for the hardrace one.

It says on their website this is a full set can someone confirm this as someone else mentioned above they didnt think think you could change the bushings on the lower suspension?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_d View Post
    It says on their website this is a full set can someone confirm this as someone else mentioned above they didnt think think you could change the bushings on the lower suspension?
    I think you're talking to me? I just meant you can't get the lower arm bushes as OEM spare parts anymore (I don't think so anyway).

The Hardrace kit looks to have everything.

Rides
    Just looking at the price of things now! Wow! For example, from memory Hardrace rear droplinks were about 15 quid back in the day. And so I have two sets of brand new ones in my shed as they were that cheap. But now they are 83 quid! :-0 Lucky I stocked up when cheap!