Thread: Engine and gearbox mounts

Rides

Engine and gearbox mounts

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with swapping from Hardrace Street engine and gearbox mounts to Vibra Technics mounts? Looking for info on the differences in vibration and stiffness if possible.
    Looking for mounts with as little NVH as possible but stiff enough to work with a solid mounted diff and rear subframe and I know the Vibra Technics mounts are meant to be really goo,d but wanted to try and do any research before spending that amount of money to upgrade when they are similar
    Thanks in advance

Rides
    Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but I run nismo engine and gearbox mounts with solid subframe bushes and solid mounted diff and polybushed everything, and I have no complaints whatsoever about them.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rides
    +1 for Nismo mounts. They're very firm but still a little bit compliant. I had Apex mounts before which I would be my bottom dollar were Hardrace and I didn't mind them. But don't get too caught up in it, any upgraded mount is going to be harsher and unless you're regularly driving cars with back to back experience, you may never detect the difference.

For a true test, you could write to both technical departments and request a spec sheet, asking for things like Shore Hardness and which Shore scale each is rated on.

Rides
    Get the ca18 nismo mounts if you opt for the nismo's in the first place. They're few mm shorter, so the engine will sit in a similar position to the original ones. Nismos generally rise the engine up and you end up with a viscous fan hitting the shroud.
    On the other hand, BMW e34 mounts fit nicely too, they cost like 10-15 bucks each and are meant for heavy i6 engines.

Rides
    Yea I did exactly this a couple of years ago.

The vibra technics mounts are leagues apart. The engine still moved quite a lot even when the HR street mount were new.

The hard race mounts totally failed after 30,000 miles too (quite a lot I know but they were torn in half..)

The engine barely moves at all when revved with the VT mounts now and the NVH is the same as before IMO. They did take a few hundred miles to bed in so don’t be alarmed when it’s a bit ‘lively’ to start with.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m17ch View Post
    Get the ca18 nismo mounts if you opt for the nismo's in the first place. They're few mm shorter, so the engine will sit in a similar position to the original ones. Nismos generally rise the engine up and you end up with a viscous fan hitting the shroud.
    On the other hand, BMW e34 mounts fit nicely too, they cost like 10-15 bucks each and are meant for heavy i6 engines.
    Do these really work and fit ok? I'd love to try them out

Rides
    Thanks for all the replies, lots of useful information and food for thought!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
    Do these really work and fit ok? I'd love to try them out
    Yep, they do. They even have the offset of the studs, much like the stock mounts. I recon the sr20 nismos are 72mm tall, ca18 nismos are 68mm and the BMW mounts are 63mm (all +-2mm I don't recall exactly)
    The only thing needed is to grind off the BMW mounting tabs (a small metal bump to lock the mount in place). Adjust/rotate the mounts so the engine sits where it should and the transmission mounts bolts match up the chassis threads, as rotating the mounts is pushing the engine forward/backward.
    For peace of mind, I also drilled and tapped a hole in the mounts so that they lock in place against the engine mount bracket, i.e. they won't rotate.

Rides
    That's super interesting to hear, a lot of the reason some people go for hockey pucks on VVL conversions is because Nismo or factory mounts sit too high. I wonder if the CA mount could solve that problem.

Top tip.

Rides
    Took my HardRace Street gearbox mount off today and it was cracked 90% of the way through in places. Luckily I found a spare somewhere and it instantly feels better. I guesstimate that I've done about 10k on it, if that. Gonna be swapping to the Vibra Technics engine and gearbox mounts as soon as I can afford it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Nismo mounts have also trebled in price recently, so interested to hear about your experience.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    Took my HardRace Street gearbox mount off today and it was cracked 90% of the way through in places. Luckily I found a spare somewhere and it instantly feels better. I guesstimate that I've done about 10k on it, if that. Gonna be swapping to the Vibra Technics engine and gearbox mounts as soon as I can afford it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I'd like to add that the mount that was on the car was bought and installed probably 3-4 years ago, not recently. HardRace generally do high quality products and this could have been due to a manufacturer error or it could be something that got improved in later versions. Don't want to shit on one of the few companies that do half decent stuff for jap cars! (Haven't been asked to say this either)

Rides
    I was also after some myself and annoyed to see the prices have gone up dramatically!

Rides
    I had to get my order thru JDMGarage refunded. Paid £153. Then told I needed to pay another £193 when they found out.

And that’s only for 2. I’ve got the third already.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Yea I did exactly this a couple of years ago.

The vibra technics mounts are leagues apart. The engine still moved quite a lot even when the HR street mount were new.

The hard race mounts totally failed after 30,000 miles too (quite a lot I know but they were torn in half..)

The engine barely moves at all when revved with the VT mounts now and the NVH is the same as before IMO. They did take a few hundred miles to bed in so don’t be alarmed when it’s a bit ‘lively’ to start with.
    Jeez, you arent wrong about them being a bit lively! If I bought them and hadn't seen your comment, I would have been seriously worried. They feel like solid engine mounts currently but I gotta still keep driving it to bed them in, hope they are worth it