Thread: Car audio setups

Rides

Car audio setups

Morning all, just been doing some research on audio setups and was wondering if anyone had ever had much experience?

I'm just after a nice all round setup to going my s14, want to replace door speakers, parcel shelf speakers and tweeters.

Questions is what speakers atchily work well? To run them off the head unit or through an amp? If an amp is best the is there any small subs that could be hidden away to give a better setup?

While the cars appart its the perfect time to hide any new wiring that is needed.

I have only ever thrown ebay special speakers in cars on the past and they're shite.

Any recommendations im all ears!

Cheers ladies.

Rides
    The answer is always Amps and subs - HUs cannot provide anything like the required power output to do a decent speaker setup right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The answer is always Amps and subs - HUs cannot provide anything like the required power output to do a decent speaker setup right.
    Bollox!

JL Audio. But sideways is correct, you need to Amp the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Speakers are all 6.5".
    I fitted an Alpine v12 amp & have since upgraded the head unit to the iLX700,
    The HU piggy backs off the iPhone for everything but it's good for me and the touchscreen is a great upgrade

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    Speakers are all 6.5".
    I fitted an Alpine v12 amp & have since upgraded the head unit to the iLX700,
    The HU piggy backs off the iPhone for everything but it's good for me and the touchscreen is a great upgrade
    Do you want to try JL Audio?

Rides
    cheers guys, the JL audio stuff was what i have been drawn to after some research into speakers

only going to be running a single din head unit, really not a fan of all the touch screen stuff i gave up on that years ago. as long as it has Bluetooth and DAB+ ill be happy. i usually end up with some sort of Sony unit, have several in other cars and never had an issue.

want to try and keep everything as tidy and compact as i possibly can so being able to hide a small amp somewhere would be ideal, f its only running a couple of speakers so shouldn't have to be huge and powerfull?

any links would be greatly appreciated.

ta lads

Rides
    Seems like the amp I'm using will suit you well. Pioneer GM-D1004 4-channel. Matched up with 4 decent speakers.
    It taps in between your car loom and stereo with male and female iso connectors either end, so no need for RCA's, remote, power, earth, speaker wire etc.

For a neater solution I cut off the Nissan stereo plug/s and replaced it with an ISO plug, although I might beef up the power supply to the plug.
    The amp is small enough that it squeezes under the heater blower box (s15) behind the stereo.
    I find it's a very effective basic upgrade, I still want to add an ultra small and light sub/amp combo paired with mild sound deadening.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ampl...ription_tabbed

Rides
    You can get 4 or 5 channel amps the size of mobile phones now with decent whack.
    Yeah you can run rears off a HU but... i would just pump everything through an amp and put a small sub in. I used to have a sub in the ski hatch of my old e46, was 8inch across and produced a lot of bass inside.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Do you want to try JL Audio?

I’ve pretty much done all audio mods for the time being,

I removed my Alpine 12” sub from the boot as I needed the space.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    I’ve pretty much done all audio mods for the time being,

I removed my Alpine 12” sub from the boot as I needed the space.
    I had Alpine. Went with JL Audio.

But agree, pretty much done with Audio. I’ve gone from an Atmos setup to 2 channel

Rides
    I am done with Audio for the time being as well, the mx5 has a very decent sound system as stock -a nice multi channel amp and speakers in the headrests and doors as well as a teeny wee sub. Pretty impressive for what it is.
    What is very not impressive is the actual interface and software, its quite honestly the worst garbage i have ever used. Fortunately as its open source Mazda need to make its code available which means modder city for the actual unit - for once its not all about changing speakers.