Thread: Yaris GR as an investment?

Rides

Yaris GR as an investment?

I truly believe that this is one of the most exciting affordable cars to come onto the market for many decades, and seems like a no-brainer investment car. I’m sorely tempted to order one, maybe put some minimal miles on for a year or so then put it into storage. Of course I’m probably not the only one that’s tempted by this, and there are probably dozens of zero-miles cars already squirrelled away, but what are people’s thoughts on this? With the impending decimation of the fossil fuel vehicle industry, will this improve the future classic value or render it obsolete with no future desire-ability?

Rides
    Funny this should come up, a friend of mine and I have been having a similar conversation and we concluded there's just no way to know.

On the plus side, they're getting mega press from all the right places and they have the internet behind them for hero points.

On the negative side, they're not going to be rare. There are 25,000 being made which, globally, isn't tonnes. But it's not a super limited run.

And that's assuming Toyota don't go "hey, that sold well. Let's do another batch".

Rides
    Also, will there be the same level of 'Nost***ia' for homologation cars in twenty or thirty years?

After all, the people who are currently buying and acquiring the 80's icons are the very people who grew up watching the golden years of rallying, Group 'B' etc.... i just don't see the youth of today have the same level of excitement and thrill in motorsport that we had back in the day. The focus on 'hybrid and pure electric' bores the hell out of me and just about every motorsport fan ive met...

Rides
    I know almost no one into rallying that's into cars in general. But that's just my circles.

Anyway, I don't think you'd lose money regardless. But haven't you got enough toys and hobbies?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I know almost no one into rallying that's into cars in general. But that's just my circles.

Anyway, I don't think you'd lose money regardless. But haven't you got enough toys and hobbies?
    Yes, Toys and Hobbies i have... Its money that i'm always needing more of!

Rides
    Just buy anything 80s Ford or 90s Japanese if you want an investment. Ideally buy it in 2009.

The Yaris is no doubt a great car, but with 25k being sold I wonder how long it'll take to appreciate beyond sale price?? 20 years+ I'd say.

Rides
    Im my opinion, a brand new stored car of this calibre will definitely appreciate after a period of time! Car collectors will lose their mind over it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Funny this should come up, a friend of mine and I have been having a similar conversation and we concluded there's just no way to know.

On the plus side, they're getting mega press from all the right places and they have the internet behind them for hero points.

On the negative side, they're not going to be rare. There are 25,000 being made which, globally, isn't tonnes. But it's not a super limited run.

And that's assuming Toyota don't go "hey, that sold well. Let's do another batch".
    Toyota have already said that they'll make more if the demand is there.

Rides
    I know people who bought new Focus RS mk3s to store and sell of later down the line but the cost of storing them, keeping them in good condition and Ford pumping out more than they said they would made it pointless. Best money to be made is pre ordering a car that will have a high demand and selling your spot in the queue to someone who is will to pay a couple of grand to not wait 6 months for their car, you don't even need to do anything for it apart from put a deposit down

Rides
    Buy it, drive it and be able to tell your Grandkids that you had one of the last great ICE powered vehicles made.

As a pure investment, it sucks. You'd be better off buying a personalised numberplate right now and that is one of the shittest investments everrrrrrrr.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Just buy anything 80s Ford or 90s Japanese if you want an investment. Ideally buy it in 2009.

The Yaris is no doubt a great car, but with 25k being sold I wonder how long it'll take to appreciate beyond sale price?? 20 years+ I'd say.
    And in that time youll have spent £20K storing and maintaining it. Its a no from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Storage means a dry non condensing atmosphere. Heating or a CO2/N2 filled car cocoon, car on stands, all fluids drained and preservative in fuel system, not a concrete garage for £50/month.

Touring cars is now formula racing, they don't use production engines, transmission or anything but a (motorsports) shell. I can't imagine it sells cars on a Monday and I'm not sure why they bother.

A mint 26 year old Clio Williams is doing £20K. They made less than 5000 of them. That's not been a good investment.
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/clas...gion=&S=Search

I knew someone back in the day that really did have to have a 16v Golf GTi mkII. He had to settle for an 8v with a 16v grill as he couldn't afford the 16v. There was 1000's of other young guys lusting after them. There was 1000's of them, there might be 1000 left and 80% are SORN with very little seasonal variation. Now they fetch around £15K in mint condition. Is a Toyota Yaris GR really an object of young man's lust?

Now if you did what Derek on Bangers and Cash did and bought an Aston DB5 for £5 half K then had someone pass on buying it off him for £90K just at the crash, you would be in the money. But a lot of other cars including his own in really good condition are being knocked down at under £5k. There is a big risk, in 20 years time we be 12 years into no new ICE. That will be around the time the bulk of the last ICE cars are scrapped. The typical older car only does 5K miles a year, the new ones are racking up over 20K, so petrol sales will be down to 20% of pre COVID levels. Lots of petrol stations will shut and petrol will be something that you have go a long way to find and then you can only buy two 5 gallon jerry cans.

Stay well clear of all rally cars. Everyone of them will cost as much to fix as you paid for it.