Thread: New Sills...Realistic replacements?

Rides

New Sills...Realistic replacements?

I bought sills for my s14 from eBay a while ago because I knew they needed replacing. I have to be super careful when using a jack to get underneath it...I have heard way too many cracking sounds when I lift it up. I'm worried that the sills I bought are not going to be robust enough to support the car when I jack the car up. they are so thin...I was expecting something a lot more substantial. The metal seems so thin to support a car.

I have put big dents in my sills by jacking it up and when I put the new ones in I need to know that I'm doing it properly. Should I be thinking about rot beyond the sills? Can someone look at the images and tell me whether these are going to work please.

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/kGJJJz6

Rides
    What you've bought is replacement outer sills (and rear pockets) from a very reputable company. I have the very same parts.

They're only one part of the sill structure and absolutely not load bearing.

You don't jack on the sill panels at all, ever. They're not there to support the car. There are jacking points integrated into the inner/outer sill flange (compatible with the OEM jack) or most people now jack on the rear differential or a suspension pick up point.

Sills are absolutely not for jacking on and you're right, you will just bend these if you do.
    Last edited by piman2k; 11-03-2021 at 09:27.

Rides
    I’ve just had all my sills replaced and they had to replace inner sills and loads of support stuff inside, I had jacking plates made and built into the frame structure where you would normally jack up, mine was bad and cost approx £3000 for all metal works. Is mint now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    What you've bought is replacement outer sills (and rear pockets) from a very reputable company. I have the very same parts.

You don't jack on the sill panels at all, ever. They're not there to support the car. There are jacking points integrated into the inner/outer sill flange (compatible with the OEM jack) or most people now jack on the rear differential or a suspension pick up point.

Sills are absolutely not for jacking on and you're right, you will just bend these if you do.
    Right ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by flinty303 View Post
    I’ve just had all my sills replaced and they had to replace inner sills and loads of support stuff inside, I had jacking plates made and built into the frame structure where you would normally jack up, mine was bad and cost approx £3000 for all metal works. Is mint now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! £3K? Holy crap on a cracker...yeah they look amazing. Looks like I’ll have to wait a while to sort the sills out then.

Rides

So what you recommend if i need to lift the front of the car? The jack points are not an option anymore and neither is the suspension. the reason is that I need to adjust the height of the suspension and adjust the pre-load...where else is safe to jack up at the front end?

Rides
    Chap I don’t mean to be funny but if your car is so rusty you can’t Jack on the existing Jack points then what on earth does adjusting your suspension matter?

Jack on the front cross member (not the radiator support) and the rear differential.

Rides
    jack on the rear subframe mounts or towing eye. then on the front tie down points on the radiator support panel.

Rides
    Chap I don’t mean to be funny but if your car is so rusty you can’t Jack on the existing Jack points then what on earth does adjusting your suspension matter?

Jack on the front cross member (not the radiator support) and the rear differential.
    Because it’s way too low and I need to adjust the preload. The car never fails an MOT on rust but I know I have to address the issue. My main problem is that no garages want to work on my car because they all just want an easy life. I’m having to everything myself...the next step is learning how to weld.

Rides
    Understood. Well, you're not cut off from people who will work on it there.

Secret Performance are in Wigan.

Slide Motorsport are in Pontefract, which is about an hour and a half away.

Both are competent at the welding work you need on these cars and critically, will be used to working on low cars.

The sills are not complex though, and they're mostly empty. You could go to any good restoration garage and have the work done.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I just use the tow eyes front and back enough to put stands under the subframe etc
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Once the jacking points are too weak to jack on it's an MOT fail. The rears are within prescribed distance to the rear seat belt and suspension bolts.

Nissan's sill jacking points are not the seam! Jacking on the seam will crush it. The jacking point is a pad welded to the inside of the floor. The seam has small notch to indicate the jacking point. The seam fits in the Nissan jack and the top of jack sit up against the pad. If the jacking pad can't take a jack there will be corrosion on the inner sill and floor, this is an interior and carpet out job. Cost of professional welding can be reduced by stripping it bare yourself. Unless you have had (lots of) practice it takes 3 hours to take the interior out and put it back, that's about £300 of the cost.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Once the jacking points are too weak to jack on it's an MOT fail. The rears are within prescribed distance to the rear seat belt and suspension bolts.

Nissan's sill jacking points are not the seam! Jacking on the seam will crush it. The jacking point is a pad welded to the inside of the floor. The seam has small notch to indicate the jacking point. The seam fits in the Nissan jack and the top of jack sit up against the pad. If the jacking pad can't take a jack there will be corrosion on the inner sill and floor, this is an interior and carpet out job. Cost of professional welding can be reduced by stripping it bare yourself. Unless you have had (lots of) practice it takes 3 hours to take the interior out and put it back, that's about £300 of the cost.
    Ok, now I'm thinking I'm putting the jack in the wrong place. Thanks for the advice, this is why I'm here.

Rides
    Understood. Well, you're not cut off from people who will work on it there.

Secret Performance are in Wigan.

Slide Motorsport are in Pontefract, which is about an hour and a half away.

Both are competent at the welding work you need on these cars and critically, will be used to working on low cars.

The sills are not complex though, and they're mostly empty. You could go to any good restoration garage and have the work done.
    I'm not far from Wigan at all. I've also been to Slide; I got a windshield from them. I generally just hate garages, they all just want to work on new cars for an easy life. I know there are people out there that want to work on older cars but finding them is difficult. Even getting someone to replace my windscreen was super hard work cos they all assumed the rubber was going to be too much like hard work to remove....took me weeks of calling round.

Rides
    Neither of those companies hate old cars and offer restoration as part of their services.

Rides
    you also have SumpScuffers who are in derby somewhere. those lads know their old nissans and are bloody good at fabrication work.