Thread: Brake bleeding question

Rides

Brake bleeding question

At the risk of looking like a total dick, I have a question relating to the bleeding of my new Z32 calipers.

Today I installed some freshly rebuilt Z32 calipers and new steel braided lines onto my S14 with ABS. My intention was to bleed them tomorrow, once my DOT 4 came in. I was chatting to my girlfriend's dad (also a car guy) about it and he freaked out when he heard I had not yet bled them, saying that it's going to be impossible when I get around to it. Is this true? Because if so, this is the first I've heard of this being an issue on a car like an S14 with independent brake lines.

Rides
    It'll be the same IMO. Can't see any reason why it would be any worse.

Rides
    Cheers dude, I guess he thinks the air will make its way up the brake line and get into the ABS module/other lines?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverredick View Post
    Cheers dude, I guess he thinks the air will make its way up the brake line and get into the ABS module/other lines?
    It's all got to be bled anyway, where it is in the system won't make any odds whatsoever. It's sealed, remember. If it wasn't, you'd be in all kinds of shit

As for the ABS - from memory, and crikey it's going back a while, the S14 has bleed nipples on the unit itself. Pretty sure that's right; the S13 didn't and was a PITA as you had to go off, activate the ABS and then do it all over again. 14's a lot easier for that reason.

Rides
    Just go around all 4 corners starting with the furthest corner from the brake servo and you should be fine. I take it that you closed the bleed nipples on the calipers?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    It's all got to be bled anyway, where it is in the system won't make any odds whatsoever. It's sealed, remember. If it wasn't, you'd be in all kinds of shit

As for the ABS - from memory, and crikey it's going back a while, the S14 has bleed nipples on the unit itself. Pretty sure that's right; the S13 didn't and was a PITA as you had to go off, activate the ABS and then do it all over again. 14's a lot easier for that reason.
    I'll have a poke about the ABS module and try bleed that too. If I can't figure that out, I'll just slam on the brakes in a gravel parking lot and re-bleed. Cheers for the advice!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Just go around all 4 corners starting with the furthest corner from the brake servo and you should be fine. I take it that you closed the bleed nipples on the calipers?
    That's the plan. Yep, brand new nipples all round!