Thread: E10 fuel

Rides

E10 fuel

Been reading about plans to introduce E10 fuel this morning.

Sounds like it’s going to effect the less well off in the population who can’t afford new cars, with super unleaded being the alternative to buying a car that can handle E10

Has anyone else heard about it or know how to check if a car will be ok to run it? Seems to be a fair amount of conflicting information out there.

Rides
    Yeah it is a big concern for classic cars. But I think most cars built in the 1990s on wards should be okay. Once they are ran regularly. The issue for cars sitting up is that it absorbs moisture which can lead to corrosion in the fuel system. But time will tell.

Rides
    It seems like anything made after 2010 will be ok, but an article I read said most cars made after 2002 will be alright.

I suppose classic cars might be able to retrofit the correct gubbings to avoid issues?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Can’t wait to use Vpower on my 47 year old land rover with 40bhp
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Can't remember the exact place I've seen it.... been some years since I owned a car it would be of any benefit too.... although the mini now maybe?

Isn't a higher ethanol content a benefit for turbos when tuning as it helps keep knock away for longer?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Nissan say the S13 200SX is not suitable but I have no idea why not and what parts need changing.

Rides
    Super unleaded will still be E5.

However Esso 97 and 99 are completely Ethanol free, save for a few limited places.

Rides
    yeah been reading about this too, read that only Nissans registered after 2000 will be fully compatible with E10, the weak spots appear to be the fuel tank and fuel lines which are subject to higher corrosion with E10, but apart from that they should be able to run ok if used regularly, higher octane content, less pollutive, but less econonomical

While researching, came across this paper on converting a 90s 200sx to flexible fuel for fuels with varying Ethanol content: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/38047494.pdf

My Nistune board already has the upgrade to map for flex fuel so from what I can gather it will need a fuel sensor fitted and then the ecu should be able to map for various Ethanol content

Another old but informative discussion here: https://www.gtr.co.uk/threads/e10-fuel.148473/
    Last edited by sr20det1; 27-02-2021 at 23:48.

Rides
    worst case you can just slosh some fuel tank sealer around inside you s13 tank. probably have to take it off the car to do it though which is a ball ache.