Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nismo 1.5 way Help - output shafts

Rides

Nismo 1.5 way Help - output shafts

UPDATED 16 APRIL 2021 with Issue and Solution

ISSUE:
    • Output shafts supplied with Nismo 1.5 Way Diff Kit 38420-RSS15-C5, listed for for Nissan S14 Silvia Manual SR20DET do not fit my European diff

EXPLANATION:
    • European diff carriers are different to JDM carriers. Supplied diff output flanges 38220-OV161 (x2) do not fit.

SOLUTION:
    • Order Nismo differential kit 38420-RSS15-D5 for European S14/S14a models.
    • If you have already ordered 38420-RSS15-C5 and need the correct flanges, purchase output shafts 38220-4P071 and 38220-RSS50

Hi all

Bought an R200 ABS diff from a car to restore. Bought a Nismo 1.5 way diff from RHD.

Had the diff stripped, these are the OEM shafts on the right and the shafts supplied with the kit on the left.

I remember reading about unequal length shafts, but the question is, is the Nismo designed for these equal length shafts or are the shafts in my kit wrong?

Help gratefully received.

Ryan
    Last edited by piman2k; 16-04-2021 at 11:45.

Rides
    Image added after many difficulties!
    Last edited by piman2k; 12-02-2021 at 12:42.

Rides
    Sorry, not related to your actual question but to the image issue, I keep trying to uplaod images and it just says failed.

How did you fix that?

Rides
    When Nissan developed the VLSD they just used a standard open diff and found some space to squeeze in the Viscous coupling. This required extending one of the half-shafts so that both shafts could 'Meet' in the coupling, hence why an 'open' diff uses two equal length shafts and the viscous uses unequal lengths.

Thankfully the Nismo Diff works in a different way and does not require the unequal length half shafts.... In other words, you'll be fine with the kit supplied. on a related note, did the kit come with a shim kit? as i'd imagine it may require re-shimming to get the correct pre-load on the new bearings.

Rides
    Thanks hooky. I know you know your stuff so I am more relaxed about it now.

I didn’t see any shims in the box but I haven’t opened the actual diff packaging itself.

SimonMitch, don’t know mate. I kept trying free sites until the forum recognised one.

Rides
    So, diff has gone in for build. The garage are telling me that it's definitely not right, that the shafts definitely need to be unequal lengths and that both of the stub axles boxes say A side on them.

And the instructions apparently show two different shaft lengths. Hooky, if you're here I'd really appreciate your input.

The Diff kit I have is 38420-RSS15-C5, listed according to the Nismo catalog here (https://www.nismo.co.jp/products/cat....html#page=127) as Silvia S14 SR20DET M/T.

The shafts that I have are 38220-OV161 and they both have ABS rings on them.
    Last edited by piman2k; 06-04-2021 at 14:00.

Rides
    Page 130 of the Nismo catalog says that your 38420-RSS15-C5 diff takes 2 x 38220-0V161 side flanges.

So looks like they should fit...

Rides
    I hadn't noticed that at all Ben, thanks for pointing it out! So the kit is supplied right then.

I just checked the diff on the car, there are no ABS rings in those positions either. So the diff I've given them is the same as the R200 on the car.

So I wonder why they are saying they don't fit in the carrier.
    Last edited by piman2k; 06-04-2021 at 14:16.

Rides
    Hmm, maybe Nismo are wrong regarding the Euro diff

https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/archive/ind.../t-344378.html

Looks like you should have ordered the D5 version with the 38220-4P071 and 38220-RSS50 shafts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Hmm, maybe Nismo are wrong regarding the Euro diff

https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/archive/ind.../t-344378.html

Looks like you should have ordered the D5 version with the 38220-4P071 and 38220-RSS50 shafts
    Ahhh for goodness sake

It had never occurred to me that the JDM/Euro diffs would be different. I've just gotten off the phone with the builder and he says it sticks about 5/6 mm out on one side, which appears to be exactly like the first picture in that thread you've dug out. Thanks Ben.

So I have inadvertently ordered the wrong kit, go me You've no idea how long I spent checking the sheet Didn't even occur to me JDM vs EU would be different, I just figured R200 is R200.
    Last edited by piman2k; 06-04-2021 at 14:49.

Rides
    Everyone seems to say you need those shafts for the Euro diff.

Might be cheaper to buy a JDM diff?

Rides
    Tbh bud I think I’ll just ordered those shafts at RHDJapan. I’ve just put a stock check in.

By the time I’ve faffed around finding a JDM diff (bear in mind I’ve nothing to reference it against except the cooler I guess), bought it, collected it, stripped it, refurbed the shafts etc, it’s just not worth the time.

Thank you so, so much for your help. Lesson learned for next time.

Rides
    I've ordered those two shafts, let's see what happens. £255 delivered, plus the inevitable Fedex fees.

I mailed RHDJapan who said they recognised this was an issue, but have not offered to do anything to help despite me using the compatibility matrix on their website. Bit crummy tbh.
    Last edited by piman2k; 08-04-2021 at 07:05.

Rides
    Just a quick update, the new shafts are being dispatched today. I have had a to-and-fro with RHDJapan who already knew the EUDM was different (confirmed in email), admitted to having faced this issue before, confirmed my shafts are useless for my car and accepted that I selected the diff partly based on their own website compatibility guide.

Their advice is for me to sell the shafts I have locally, despite saying in the previous sentence that those shafts are no use to anyone in our market. Not a great resolution if I'm honest, quite disappointed with them. Not even a courtesy offer of some reward points or even a minor discount on the shafts. Honestly, I'd have taken even a small gesture, as long as it was a gesture. Guess the reality of RHDJapan customer service is clear.

Rides
    Night mare....i had no idea the EU & JDM carriers were different. That's some pretty poor service from RHD to be honest

I'm Curious, could you use the shorter of your Original shafts with the Nismo and just buy the one that you need? or are both the original shafts incompatible?

Rides
    Looking at the old SXOC post (referenced above) it looks like the two shafts pictured left & right are what you need, but your old one in the middle looks suspiciously like the one on the left?

Last edited by hooky; 12-04-2021 at 18:51.

Rides
    double post ....

Rides
    If I can find my NATS laptop I'll look them up for you

Rides
    Thanks guys, much appreciated on your input. I’m sorry I didn’t check the topic sooner.

Anyway, these arrived today. About to take them up to the builder and see if they’re correct.

ford focus 0 60

Rides
    not much comfort but cheers for putting this up, I've got a JDM 180 and a load of old parts from my UK S13, including driveshafts that I was planning to use, don't think I would have noticed a 6mm difference but will take a closer look now to see if they're actually the same.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.