Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Death of Hollywood / Cinema

Rides
    What this thread has failed to mention much of so far is one word. As it's sadly the only word that matters, and it's what all decisions are ultimately made from. Those decisions will often mean watered down trilogies or over-use of CGI, or whatever. Most typically it stops the creation of pure, meaningful films in their tracks, particularly for the big houses, as there's a 'better' option in something else.

The word?

Revenue.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    What this thread has failed to mention much of so far is one word. As it's sadly the only word that matters, and it's what all decisions are ultimately made from. Those decisions will often mean watered down trilogies or over-use of CGI, or whatever. Most typically it stops the creation of pure, meaningful films in their tracks, particularly for the big houses, as there's a 'better' option in something else.

The word?

Revenue.
    Exactly this! That is while I am more attracted to lower budget films. I have not seen any of the last few years of X-Men, Star Wars or other flash-bang CGI fests. I watched Batman 3 in the cinema and could not wait to get out. The only good thing was your one's arse on the back of the bike. And after that I said, no more superhero or films that are explosions over substance.

(I don't class The Joker or The Boys are superhero films/ series, before someone pulls me up on them.)

The Marvel franchise and it's ilk has created and money making monster that has destroyed the art of film. $$$$$

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    I really wanted to like 1917....

I don't know of it was something to do with my projector or that I streamed it from amazon - but I found the CGI in the last few battle scenes to look so poor it spoilt it, it looked like what you would find in the special features deleted scenes... almost there, but not got the final going over with textures or shadows.

Hack saw ridge has been one of my favorite war movie of late.

As I'm getting older I'm looking more for quirks or details in films to raise them up, something you know a lot of thoughts gon into it..... not a poor chaining of events for a franchise like F&F. I think the MCU worked it well, but that should be done now, the tube is finished, put it in the bin, don't squeeze every last drop.

Baby driver - love the way the soundtrack was intergrated to the action ad story.

Ready player one - just the amount of cameos and how they were "right" when used. Also a believable view of a possible future.

Back to the future - one of the Kings in regards detail, like the way "twin pines mall" turns into "lone pine mall" after marty drives over a tree in the past.

The golden age really has to be the 70s 80s 90s blockbuster after blockbuster, and dwindling since.

Clockwork orange
    The shining
    Alien
    BTTF
    Star wars originals
    Godfather
    Good fellas
    Pulp fiction
    Matrix
    Blade
    Fight club

All genre defining and original films not really seen before.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    I had to watch 1917 a few times. I just didn’t get into it like Dunkirk until

2000s and 2010s the studios aimed for young adults. Hunger Games, Marvel comics etc. Which were great. Michelle and I like La La Land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    I really wanted to love 1917 as well. Finally the chance to make a WW1 with a big budget and modern technology!! And....................... what a wasted opportunity! While it was well made, artistically filmed and "enjoyable", it was nothing got to do with WW1. It was an Indiana Jones type adventure romp set in WW1. I enjoyed it, but at the same time was seriously disappointed as the wasted opportunity.
    The beautiful shots of his running beside the trenches and freshly manicured green grass, the handy footpath through no-man's land..... all art over substance. What a wasted opportunity of making an actual WW1 film depicting the reality. :-(

The Joker was the last film in the cinema that stood out to me, that was an excellent film. It reminded me alot of Taxi Driver, the same 1970s dirty New York feel and dark atmosphere and tension throughout the film.
    Couldn’t have said it better.

Rides
    Exactly this! That is while I am more attracted to lower budget films. I have not seen any of the last few years of X-Men, Star Wars or other flash-bang CGI fests. I watched Batman 3 in the cinema and could not wait to get out. The only good thing was your one's arse on the back of the bike. And after that I said, no more superhero or films that are explosions over substance.

(I don't class The Joker or The Boys are superhero films/ series, before someone pulls me up on them.)

The Marvel franchise and it's ilk has created and money making monster that has destroyed the art of film. $$$$$
    If you want to watch an enjoyable low budget independent film, pm me your address and I’ll send you a DVD.

Yep it wasn’t released on Blu-ray. Called
    hard Edge

Was never released on DVD, my younger brother had to beg the director for
    It

Rides
    Cheers man, PM sent

Rides
    I wouldnt say Marvel has killed the art of making films. There were crap films before Marvel and there are crap films now - heck Marvel have created some of there own.

But what i think they have done is give us a new way of consuming films, not via streaming i mean but... films that are self contained but have an overall arch that they fit into like pieces in a puzzle.

Then again you could argue thats not even new, i mean look at Startrek 2,3 and 4..... and those are older than my socks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I wouldnt say Marvel has killed the art of making films. There were crap films before Marvel and there are crap films now - heck Marvel have created some of there own.

But what i think they have done is give us a new way of consuming films, not via streaming i mean but... films that are self contained but have an overall arch that they fit into like pieces in a puzzle.

Then again you could argue thats not even new, i mean look at Startrek 2,3 and 4..... and those are older than my socks.
    Star Trek has story beyond the visuals. Always some philosophical question or angle. Not the new ones of course. Everything now is bad group versus good group, throw in a lot of fight scenes and CGI...and collect the $$$$

Actual Mosul is an excellent modern war film on Netflix at the moment. Really good.

Rides
    Imagine if someone came up with the idea for Shawshank in 2021. They'd get laughed out the door most likely. And how tragic is that.

That's not to say it's all doom and gloom, there have been some great films in the last 5 years. But I do find myself going to the cinema less (pre covid) as with no interest in CGI-fests there's simply less alternatives on a regular basis.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post

You couldn’t have said it better mate. They delivered what we wanted

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Imagine if someone came up with the idea for Shawshank in 2021. They'd get laughed out the door most likely. And how tragic is that.

That's not to say it's all doom and gloom, there have been some great films in the last 5 years. But I do find myself going to the cinema less (pre covid) as with no interest in CGI-fests there's simply less alternatives on a regular basis.
    No they’d say we were being nasty with what’s going on

If anyone wants to know why it was called AshFliX

Rides
    Star Trek has story beyond the visuals. Always some philosophical question or angle. Not the new ones of course. Everything now is bad group versus good group, throw in a lot of fight scenes and CGI...and collect the $$$$

Actual Mosul is an excellent modern war film on Netflix at the moment. Really good.
    Watch “The Expanse”

Rides
    I seen the trailer for the The Expanse and it looked interesting, I'll check that out.

Oddly enough The Shawshank was a commercial flop in the cinema. It only became a hit and made money back when it was released to video/ DVD.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    No they’d say we were being nasty with what’s going on

If anyone wants to know why it was called AshFliX

Why AshFlix?

Rides
    Why AshFlix?
    I used to work for a software company. We built a streaming service and my mate said “F. me it’s better than Netflix. They coined AshFliX

Rides
    It was all going well and then I saw the AWS Bill

Rides
    I seen the trailer for the The Expanse and it looked interesting, I'll check that out.

Oddly enough The Shawshank was a commercial flop in the cinema. It only became a hit and made money back when it was released to video/ DVD.
    And it’s probably the best movie ever

I have a soft spot for Jodie Foster, I watched Elysium the other day.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I used to work for a software company. We built a streaming service and my mate said “F. me it’s better than Netflix. They coined AshFliX

Had the old guard streaming. Scolding has a thing for Meghan Markle, because I had to download all of Suits for him. my old best friend used to like Sponge Bob.
    It’s ok they never had to sign a disclaimer

It became a chore because I’d bitten off more

Rides
    Ah Plex? :-)

Rides
    This PC, moral of the story, 12a BS is what’s ruined it all. I get it, make the most money by aiming for the ‘everybody’ market. But it doesn’t work. I want to go back to the gritty, tough, not so nice days. Even Disney was darker back then.