Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring security floodlight camera

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Ring security floodlight camera

As title, anyone using one of these at all? tempted to get one and they get good reviews but are there any negatives?

Looking to mount on the front of the house to cover the drive etc.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    For me the negative is the outrageous price of Ring products. I appreciate the slight edge they may have over other solutions, but can't help but feel they're now just capitalising on the success of the doorbell to roll out other products at a high price point.

Do you need the light element? What's the main reasoning for the install, as a deterrent or to have video in case something happens?

As mine was the latter, as we live in a pretty safe area, I bought 4 of the below. And they're fantastic to be honest. Got a mic/speaker like the Ring one if you so wish, detection system to alert you if you'd like. Else they just record excellently with very good night vision, for a price far, far less than the Ring. All depends what you're after. A separate motion detected light would be a tenner, if you needed a light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title

Rides
    A fellow that I work with got the Ring camera/flood light and he is very happy with it. He needed a sensor light anyway and wanted a camera, so that all in one neat solution worked well for him.
    On my gaff I just have an old school 500w skin burning sensor flood light and one of these:

https://reolink.com/__/product/rlc-511w/

There are loads of good camera options out there for around 100 quid. Spoilt for choice.

Rides
    I'm using a sannce (I think that's the spelling) 8 camera POE kit from amazon, 4mp and was under 400 quid.

Easy to install as each camera only needs a data cable to it, can view on mobile app, can be configured to notify movement etc.

Much better picture quality, and if 1 cam fails is only about 40 quid replace instead of 00s.

I like the simplicity of the ring kit, but charging the batteries will soon get on your tits and if hard wired, you may aswell save money on better quality kit.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    I'm using a sannce (I think that's the spelling) 8 camera POE kit from amazon, 4mp and was under 400 quid.

Easy to install as each camera only needs a data cable to it, can view on mobile app, can be configured to notify movement etc.

Much better picture quality, and if 1 cam fails is only about 40 quid replace instead of 00s.

I like the simplicity of the ring kit, but charging the batteries will soon get on your tits and if hard wired, you may aswell save money on better quality kit.

Agreed. Didn't realise the ring was battery. Hardwired power with WiFi for data is ideal I've found.

Rides
    With POE the power and signal all go down a Cat5

The picture will always be better cabled and no chance of interference. Plus no need for 12v adaptors or power supplies as the HDD box does all that.

I have it plugged into bedroom TV hidden in cupboard behind, black outdoor cat5 just clipped like a phone line round outside of building and up into loft behind soffit, really neat and easy

Not best quality pic, but here's a screen grab of the app with my cheap setup:

Keeping an eye on my kitchen footing and garden mess from the office....

Last edited by DLowe; 09-02-2021 at 12:40.

Rides
    Ah yes, I did consider POE solutions but opted for the cheaper and easier option haha, although yes if you're happy to run some CAT5 then it's an ideal set up I suspect.

Rides
    Yeah I didn't want to run CAT5 as my PC sits in TV unit in the sitting room. So WiFi was the only solution that would work for me. I should have ran CAT5 when I had the chance a few years ago when the floors were up.

Just to note that the "Live View" will be better on POE versus WiFi as WIFI usually sends a compressed video stream. But you can change this in the settings if you like if you have a good enough WiFi signal.
    But the actual recorded footage will be the exact same quality for POE and WiFi cameras (taking like for like camera).

Rides
    I mean you can get a far higher quality poe camera than WiFi for less dosh.

You don't have to run them back to a PC, they come with a new hdd box that runs the cameras.

The WiFi bandwidth will restrict the MP of the camera you can use and it will be compressed before sending it to whatever cloud storage is used. Whereas with POE you can have 6mp cams that are uncompressed straight back to the physical storage.

Remember with ring you don't actually have a physical copy or equipment with the recording on, you rely on thier website and hardware. With POE you tap into your own recording.

Then there's all the rumours around China and the likes monitoring your ring and cloud based equipment without your consent

Rides
    I’ve got a ring doorbell and it was hard to connect via WiFi, I had to get a booster and it just about connects with that.

Also a subscription is required to access the recorded data.

Depending on where you want the camera in relation to your router should be a consideration before going down the WiFi route.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I want a motion activated light and liked the idea of being able to designate the trigger areas so it’s not constantly going off when people drive by. Want a security camera for the drive and front of the house as got the cars and a trailer out there. The ring flood light is mains powered and believe you get replacement cameras foc if you are paying the subscription?

Like the idea of cloud recording too.

Will look at the other options posted above, thanks
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I had a Swann system for ages running 4 cameras until the night vision started to fail. Repaired a couple but gave up in the end. I ended up with another system using Hikvison DVR which is linked to my phone and TV. Pretty happy with the quality, its all cabelled for power and data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    The Police like them, but there are better systems. I’m using NEST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    With the Reolink cameras that I got, probably the same as most WiFi cameras, you can record to the cloud for a small fee, but I wasn't bothered with that. So I have them just recording to internal SD Card memory. 64Gb is enough for about a weeks worth of footage based on the trigger area that I have set. The only time that I will go looking for footage is if something happens. So this set up suits me as the least hassle and cheapest option.

Rides

You don't have to run them back to a PC, they come with a new hdd box that runs the cameras.
    Ah get you. I suppose I could have stuck the HDD box in the garage on a shelf. But still though the WiFi cameras are so handy to install. Once you have Wifi signal, just run a phone charger style thin power cable and stick them anywhere. You actually don't even need a WiFi signal as they are recording internally, ,you only need WiFi to look at Live View or grab footage from them. And you can still run CAT5 to them if you don't want to use the WiFi.
    A HDD recorder is probably the best job, but for ease on install and cost I went with self contained wireless.

Rides
    Ring camera? are you trying to record some an..

Ok i see what you mean.
    I recently bought a Blink camera and kit from amazon - fitted it above my front door, if a cat farts nearby it goes off. But i also have security light there so anyone coming anywhere near my house will light up like a muppet dowsed in petrol and it records the whole thing.
    I get instant messages to my phone and it can record and keep loads of days worth of crap.

I also have just bought a cheep AGS home alarm kit, so if anyone is stupid enough to break into my house, they will set the alarm off and i will end them with my assortment of heavy steal bars, UK legal spray, various knives of various legality, home made taser which if just two wires from my mains to two insulated screwdrivers (bypassing all fuses and RCDs) and baseball bats.

I might end up with quite the death toll.
    Last edited by sideways14a; 09-02-2021 at 21:13.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    With the Reolink cameras that I got, probably the same as most WiFi cameras, you can record to the cloud for a small fee, but I wasn't bothered with that. So I have them just recording to internal SD Card memory. 64Gb is enough for about a weeks worth of footage based on the trigger area that I have set. The only time that I will go looking for footage is if something happens. So this set up suits me as the least hassle and cheapest option.
    Do they motion sense? 64GB is enough for months with some of them. As I use NEST it’s cloud storage only and you only get the last 3 hours for free

Rides

The WiFi bandwidth will restrict the MP of the camera you can use and it will be compressed before sending it to whatever cloud storage is used. Whereas with POE you can have 6mp cams that are uncompressed straight back to the physical storage.

Remember with ring you don't actually have a physical copy or equipment with the recording on, you rely on thier website and hardware. With POE you tap into your own recording.

Then there's all the rumours around China and the likes monitoring your ring and cloud based equipment without your consent

Some WiFi camera systems will mesh their own network as Brick walls interfere with WiFi

With the amount of Huawei hard line infrastructure installed I think the odd ring personal camera system is the least of your worries

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Do they motion sense? 64GB is enough for months with some of them. As I use NEST it’s cloud storage only and you only get the last 3 hours for free

Yes you can set up the motion area, days/ time zones, etc, etc. I say that most of them do all the same functions at this stage.
    So I have the detection grid set up. Initially I set it to stop watching during the day with the postman etc. but then I changed it to monitor 24 hours a day all week.
    Also I have it set to email me a high quality photo every xx mins of the first trigger instance. I would bet that they are have very same if not identical features at this stage.

In fact I used those trigger emails to throw this together:
    Last edited by markcro; 10-02-2021 at 09:17.

Rides
    Off topic I want some trail cams. We have monk Jack deer and badgers that I want
    To film