Thread: Which side is a catch can most effective?

Rides

Which side is a catch can most effective?

Hi all. Iv bought a catch can done a load of research got a different answer every time! Some people are putting them between the t off the valve cover too the air intake after the maf and overs are going between the pcv and the plenum. Ignoring all the other ways it's done with breathers n that or doing both. In my head from the pcv would make most sense because it does the most ventilation but then something else comes into play when under wot? I'm very confused! thanks

Rides
    Depends what your car spends most of its time doing.

If its a full throttle track car/drift car and you spend most of your time on boost, then it would be most effective between cam cover and turbo intake.

If its a daily driver/street car that spends most of its time off boost then between the pcv and the plenum would be most effective.

If its a street and track car then having a catch can in both these positions is beneficial.

Its all to do with where the negative pressure is located. Off boost (below 0 vacuum) the negative pressure is in the plenum. On boost (above 0 vacuum) the negative pressure is in front of the turbo intake.

I have a Mishimoto catch can between the PCV and plenum as this has a bronze filter to help separate the air from the oil vapour. I think this is recognised as one of the best catch cans but they have gone up a lot in price recently. I have bought a 2nd, cheaper one from eBay which is a Chinese copy of the Mishimoto one and its cost probably 1/10th the price!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I had one fitted for about 4 years / 15,000 miles. Opened it up and it was empty. Promptly removed it completely. Just a thought

And I drive it pretty hard and sporty

Rides
    What Sean said. If its a road car, don't bother or put it in line from the cam cover to the elephant's trunk but don't expect it to catch much.

If you are planning to modify your breathers to VTA, you really need to understand what is going on with the breathers and how they work so you are not surprised that it doesn't run right when you feck up the fueling

Suffice it to say that on a CA, you need to be able to draw metered air into the plenum on idle. As standard, this is done via the breathers/PCV.

Rides
    I am becoming more convinced that many problems with CA18DET breathing are self inflicted.

There is a restrictor in the breather hose between exhaust cam box and AFM. Removing this allows too much air to pass though the breather system and it carries oil with it.