Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SXOC Facebook group

Rides
    I still daily my completely standard s13, it's crying out for tlc though as I have no time to maintain it properly but it never let's me down. I did do an engine rebuild about 4 years ago so that's probably why. I would like to think I'm one of the younger members yet I'd still rather use a forum than fb. Jonny has given me good advice and I'm sure a free part or two over the years so I thank him for that. I don't think we need to be having a go at each other here that doesn't look great to potential new members. No hate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    It’s expensive to run a decent car isn’t it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I like my cash where it is and not dripping away day by day. The most I ever spent on a 200SX was £3000, 21 years ago. 2nd one was £250. 3 & 4 were £1400.

There may be a large variance between your definition of decent and my "best".

Thanks for reminding me, I still haven't finished pricing up replacement panels from ground up to the tape trim.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Just to reiterate, the forum is going nowhere, we aren’t closing it, it will remain as is and we aren’t stopping people from posting or adding to the knowledge held within its servers.

The Facebook group is an addition to the forum. Not a replacement.

Weekender wise, the bank balance dropped low on occasion but don’t recall the club being destitute at any point. Same as any club/business that has to prepay for a venue etc and then reimburse itself selling tickets. Trade fees also brought in more than we were spending on servers at the time iirc.

The club will mutate in to what the people want. Now the weekenders aren’t really happening it may well mutate in to a different style of forum/club. Time will tell.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    For the record...
    I did try to get involved in the club management but was told I had to work my way up from club rep and we already had two in my area.
    I also asked for the accounts to be published or to see a copy and was told that was not possible.
    I was told verbally by more than one of the club's officials that the club was in financial difficulties, that the weekenders had made a loss in all its later years and one in particular and that there was a question for a time over whether the club would be able to afford the cost of keeping the servers going.
    Despite being the treasurer for 8 odd years I didnt get asked for any of this. If you really wanted to know why not ask the people that actually have the information?
    We have always had at least £10K in the bank, at some points considerably more. The weekenders cost money but were weighed against membership income, the whole point was to try and give something back to the people contributing rather than watch the bank account increase and I think we cleared profit on both Prescotts. We could have released proper accounts but the time and cost of doing it wasnt worthwhile when there was no real benefit.

As Markcro said, there was a thread/vote on the forum a few years ago and suggestions to try to move it in the same direction as the Triumph Sports Six Club (which is a really successful car club) were pooh-poohed by a number of people and the consensus was to head along a path that made it more of a social club.
    You may disagree but when we cant keep a forum busy I dont think this would have gone anywhere. TSCC has run since 1977, before the internet, facebook or even mobile phones and TSCC also has 6000 members, as Skyshack has pointed out there arent 2,000 200s remaining and of those Id imagine at least half are being drifted, also not quite the TSCC demographic.
    I dont deny that youve given advice and provided parts and been a decent bloke but I, and some of the other staff read your post as "SXOC had loads of money, the admin pissed it up the wall and killed the club" particularly angering as what you posted wasnt accurate.
    None of us ever sacrificed our time for thanks or recognition but I also wouldnt expect a longstanding member to post up some kind of hatchet job.

You are saying there is enough money to mothball the site for posterity. That isn't the same as saying we've got a thriving car club that is actively contributing to the survival and betterment of these cars.
    Shot of buying a few and storing them - which would be what, £30K? - I dont think there are any other options. The demand isnt there for parts, FB has killed the social/forum aspect of it as it has with every single other online car club and the few cars that arent driftslags are not realistic for anyone other than collectors when they cost the same as 9 year old Cayman or a 2 year old 135i. Early 20s professionals arent interested in old Jap cars now, they PCP a £40K Merc or BMW and those of that loved our 200s have moved on, the FB thread shows that.

I personally think that if we had invested in trying to make ourselves more like a TSSC we would be bust and the forum wouldnt even be here now; as staff for 10+ years and admin for 8 or something Im in a considerably better position than you to make that judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I know this has thread has gone on a tangent, but just to add, people should not think "the longevity of SXs is doomed" just because there are only 2000 left in the UK. Most car clubs/ models start off from this point when they realise things needs to be done to keep the models alive. Like TSSC and other Triumph clubs took years to have all the parts to become available. Yes demand drives alot of it, but there are SXs in the US, Australia, New Zealand etc etc. So as people cop on parts supply should hopefully become better or at least available. At one point TR6s, GT6s, Jag E-Types where just old shitheaps waiting to be scrapped too.
    Look at the TVR club, part's catalog building up each year, and they are very low volume.

Two years ago I spent about 1300 quid on a new wing and headlight, before fitting/ painting.......... :-0 and had to wait 2 months for it to arrive from Japan as Nissan UK or Ireland no longer stock them. Parts are getting harder to get and dear! :-0 :-0

20 years ago I pulled a 1974 Jensen Interceptor Series 3 from a fellows front garden as he was sick of seeing there on the grass. Parts cars are going for about 5k now. I should have kept it! Most things end up as old shit heaps before the tide turns...
    Last edited by markcro; 11-02-2021 at 12:45.

Rides
    ^^^ Absolutely this. Parts cars are going up in money for 14a's as well as we've previously discussed. I've been on a spree the last few months looking for bits for my Kouki project to keep as spares because they're more difficult to source.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Like TSSC and other Triumph clubs took years to have all the parts to become available. Yes demand drives alot of it, but there are SXs in the US, Australia, New Zealand etc etc. So as people cop on parts supply should hopefully become better or at least available. At one point TR6s, GT6s, Jag E-Types where just old shitheaps waiting to be scrapped too.
    Look at the TVR club, part's catalog building up each year, and they are very low volume.
    We used to make sills for S14s but demand wasnt enough to keep doing it, I think we all know what the big difference is with TVRs as well
    TR6s may have been shitheaps waiting to be scrapped but there were masses of them, theres still twice as many TR6s taxed as there are 200SXs remaining in total and thats before you get onto your GT6's, Spitfires Heralds and the rest. And they probably wont have lost a lot of their demographic to Facebook either.

Parts cars are the same problem as whole cars in that you need somewhere to keep them, when a lockup rents for £60 a month round here its just not worth it
    Would love to be able to do it but the volume youd need isnt there globally IMO, never mind in the UK
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    We used to make sills for S14s but demand wasnt enough to keep doing it, I think we all know what the big difference is with TVRs as well
    TR6s may have been shitheaps waiting to be scrapped but there were masses of them, theres still twice as many TR6s taxed as there are 200SXs remaining in total and thats before you get onto your GT6's, Spitfires Heralds and the rest. And they probably wont have lost a lot of their demographic to Facebook either.

Parts cars are the same problem as whole cars in that you need somewhere to keep them, when a lockup rents for £60 a month round here its just not worth it
    Would love to be able to do it but the volume youd need isnt there globally IMO, never mind in the UK
    And that is why people love Chris Harris. He has barns full of parts cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post

It would be good if those drawings were made available to the forum in a sticky. Or maybe they are? On the TVR club site drawings are available for brackets and hinges, etc. that have not been made since the 1970s. But with the drawings people can bring them somewhere to get made up or have a go themselves. This is the kind of long term thinking that needs to be done.

Rides
    I believe the replacement sills are still available from https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...99963&_sacat=0

Rides
    I redid the drawing for the X brace under the gearbox on the Cerbera.

Rides
    My friend has three 1970s Subaru Leones. There are probably about 10 in all of the UK and Ireland. But his club site are in cahoots with the States/ Australia/ New Zealand clubs to try to source parts. Releasing drawings for 3D printed trim parts, etc. The point being that just because there are only xxx cars left there IS always a point to go down the preservation/ restoration route even when the demand is low.

What is a Scooby Doo Leone? I had no idea until I met him!! One of these:

Rides
    There are plenty of us here who design car parts for a living. I would absolutely love to be involved in making reproduction parts, and I have access to low volume suppliers for plastic and metal who are used to bespoke items.