Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    But, she is able to be a philanthropist because of Oil money....

Doesn't matter we we will all be driving Electric cars in the future and guess who holds the mining rights to all the Lithium and Cobalt....
    We have a massive problem in that there are not enough resources to replace 10% of the existing motor vehicle stock with electric vehicles.

The other problem is our electricity distribution infrastructure, its not up to satisfying the existing demand, hence the warnings of power cuts last year.
    There is absolutely no chance the grid will be able to accommodate the charging of even 5% of our current motor vehicle stock in seven years.
    These net zero policy's will take us back to the dark ages and give the world order to BRICS who do not entertain such nonsense.

Rides
    Oh Leon, I've missed you and your nonsense. The warnings of blackouts were because the UK couldn't be sure it would secure enough gas to meet demand for homes and electrical generation. It wasn't that the grid couldn't satisfy demand.

Can we get some references to your 5% in 7 years figures please?

Edit - no, start another topic for that discussion lol. This is about the benefits of Brexit.
    Last edited by piman2k; 01-01-2023 at 18:18.

Rides
    Grid capacity is an issue though isn't it? When EV's become commonplace they Grid won't be able to handle everyone getting home at 6pm and slinging them on charge.

Isn't that why people are encouraged to charge overnight with cheaper unit prices?

Rides
    The argument is no different to saying that there weren't enough fuel stations when cars started to become common.

The refuelling infrastructure got updated as the demand increased. EVs are no different. It's certainly not an issue for where we are now.

But this isn't Brexit

Rides
    There is no chance our infrastructure can accommodate electric vehicles.... its too victorian.

As usual no money has been spent updating it for decades, infact the opposite has happened.

When the MEB was sold to E.on they had an insane policy of selling off primary substations to save maintenance costs which had decimated any redundancy in the system.

Whether or not enough is generated is irrelevant when it can not be distributed.

For example when Keele services had its tesla chargers installed on the North side (iirc) there was near on £400k of infrastructure upgrades just for 1 set of chargers.

Its which craft that Trentham gardens are managing to have so many for thier size of supply (well it isn't, they just don't run anywhere near what they should and if all were used at once thier transformer would probably split it wig)

And to make it even more entertaining the green parade love to have this romantic idea of every household using solar panels and plugging thier cars in as battery storage. Unfortunately there's physics in the way and system harmonics and resonance puts a very sudden stop to it working.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    I suppose it could be brexit related if there was a way to remove all the foreign ownership from our infrastructure and force the billions pounds in profit to be reused to actually improve the networks.

But the last 20yrs of euro and American ownership has put us so far behind, it would take 20 more yrs just to get it to where it should be now.

A good 75% of what actually brings electricity to most UK homes was installed in the 70s and the world industry leaders such as hawker siddley, reyrole, brush, long & crawford have all been bought out by ze Germans or French and good quality design has been replaced with budget "acceptable failure" designs that somehow cost waaaay more by comparison to what used to be made here

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    I suppose it could be brexit related if there was a way to remove all the foreign ownership from our infrastructure and force the billions pounds in profit to be reused to actually improve the networks.

But the last 20yrs of euro and American ownership has put us so far behind, it would take 20 more yrs just to get it to where it should be now.
    So your Brexit benefit is not even real lol, it's just a proposal in your head.

You're saying if we kick out all foreign investment in our infrastructure we might be able to claim that as a Brexit benefit.

Despite the fact there was no EU law that wouldn't have let us do that in the first place.

And despite foreign investment being exactly what we are trying to attract because of a lack of it since Brexit
    Last edited by piman2k; 04-01-2023 at 09:57.

Rides
    There's a huge difference between foreign investment in factories and business that is optional for people to buy into and allowing your states utilities to be ravaged by foreign owners for profit in commodities that really are not optional.

E.on and EDF are still state owned in Germany and France, but were/are allowed to become sole owners of UK utility companies and drain our state services for thier profits which booster their own economy.

National grid were beaming when the management did a roadshow to announce that they have made over 4bn in profit last year at the cost of the British electricity user, that's an insane amount of profit for a non optional commodity and doesn't include the multi billions made by the energy companies who you buy it off, none of which are UK based.

Imagine how much better you and I would be if say instead of 10bn going missing into foreign companies 3bn was reinvested into improving the network and 7bn was discounted from the cost.

Rides
    There's a huge difference between foreign investment in factories and business that is optional for people to buy into and allowing your states utilities to be ravaged by foreign owners for profit in commodities that really are not optional.
    But that's nothing to do with the EU.

E.on and EDF are still state owned in Germany and France, but were/are allowed to become sole owners of UK utility companies and drain our state services for thier profits which booster their own economy.
    Again, nothing to do with the EU.

National grid were beaming when the management did a roadshow to announce that they have made over 4bn in profit last year at the cost of the British electricity user, that's an insane amount of profit for a non optional commodity and doesn't include the multi billions made by the energy companies who you buy it off, none of which are UK based.
    And again, nothing to do with the EU.

Imagine how much better you and I would be if say instead of 10bn going missing into foreign companies 3bn was reinvested into improving the network and 7bn was discounted from the cost.
    It would be fantastic for sure, I'm all for state owned utilities, but again, the current situation is nothing to do with the EU.

Nothing has happened to our utilities that our government hasn't allowed, the EU didn't over-rule the UK in any investment for utilities.

You don't get to claim it's a benefit or could be a benefit if the EU had nothing to do with it in the first place.

Rides
    You miss my point, that having all the free trade rules in the first place made it easier for our national industry to be taken over by foreign companies, and maybe now there will be less incentive for them and we might be able bring some back in house.

Also the joining in the first place destroying our manufacturers as they could no longer compete.

As I said, pre EU no one complained about the price of goods, UK made the best in the world, be that switchgear or tiles and may other things.

After joining our manufacturing was decimated, now your tiles come from Spain, your switch gear comes from France, your veg comes from Portugal there's little left for us other than the imaginary industry - moving money round and exporting ideas.

People like to think that they have benefited from cheaper prices, but the reality is no one was struggling any more to afford these things before joining as they are now, just wages have decreased in line with the cheaper goods to keep us on the same level.

Like I said earlier, brexit probably isn't the answer and I don't really think we should have left, but that's mainly because of the corner we backed ourselves into by joining in the first place.

Rides
    I'm not missing your point, you have no point.

The investment in our national infrastructure was neither the fault of, the responsibility of or the business of anyone other than the UK government.

The EU had nothing to do with it. No EU free trade rules facilitated any investment in infrastructure against the will of the UK government.

Quote Originally Posted by DLowe
    Also the joining in the first place destroying our manufacturers as they could no longer compete.
    More totally unverified speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by DLowe
    As I said, pre EU no one complained about the price of goods, UK made the best in the world, be that switchgear or tiles and may other things.
    Absolute waffle. We joined the EEC remember, literally to make things cheaper as the UK was in financial dire straits.

Edit - I do enjoy the sheer number of arguments that you pull out of your arse in this thread.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Oh Leon, I've missed you and your nonsense. The warnings of blackouts were because the UK couldn't be sure it would secure enough gas to meet demand for homes and electrical generation. It wasn't that the grid couldn't satisfy demand.

Can we get some references to your 5% in 7 years figures please?

Edit - no, start another topic for that discussion lol. This is about the benefits of Brexit.
    There is no shortage of gas, wholesale gas prices are lower than they were this time last year.
    Its nothing to do with the fact that we import electricity from France and that the supply has been threatened.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...l-winter-says/

I suppose if the general public found out we have to import electricity from France it could be perceived to be indicative of our energy infrastructure being inadequate.

If people want to believe that our energy infrastructure will be ready in seven years that's up to them, it takes up to ten years to build a power station and it will take at least 20 years to replace our ancient failing distribution equipment.

Net Zero is going to dramatically lower people's living standards as holidays, cars and energy become unaffordable for the majority which will lower the UK's 1% global emissions total to 0.5 percent which will make a huge difference to the worlds climate and save us all from the impending extinction and end of world catastrophe.

People will believe whatever suits their ideology.

One of the Brexit benifits is that I can gloat at Remoaners who haven't got over Brexit.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 05-01-2023 at 07:30.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge
    There is no shortage of gas, wholesale gas prices are lower than they were this time last year.
    Congratulations for finally saying something accurate

I didn't say there is a shortage of gas. I said the UK couldn't be sure it would secure enough gas to meet demand at the time when it was being purchased, hence the price went up.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge
    One of the Brexit benifits is that I can gloat at Remoaners who haven't got over Brexit.
    And he's back to being a mug again

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    If youre gloating then that suggests some kind of success, a triumph or a win if you will.

So please enlighten us as to what is actually better since Brexit? Almost like the title of the thread you are replying on and the subject of discussion for the last 25 pages?
    FWIW if you cant come up with anything then you probably shouldnt be "gloating" at people who didnt vote Leave as youre admitting Brexit has not been successful or beneficial like we were told it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    If youre gloating then that suggests some kind of success, a triumph or a win if you will.

So please enlighten us as to what is actually better since Brexit? Almost like the title of the thread you are replying on and the subject of discussion for the last 25 pages?
    FWIW if you cant come up with anything then you probably shouldnt be "gloating" at people who didnt vote Leave as youre admitting Brexit has not been successful or beneficial like we were told it would be.

One of the benefits of leaving the EU is that it has gave construction and engineering a huge boost as we have still got thousands of warehouses and industrial units to build as we can't rely on the EU anymore.

Another benefit of leaving the EU was how quickly we were able to procure the holy magic vaccine, I personally do not think people dying suddenly getting blood clots having heart attacks and getting cancer ect ect is a benefit but I'm sure many people on here will as it will satisfy their net zero population control ideology.

Another benefit of leaving the EU is that we are now more democratic, I'm not claiming we live in a true democracy as having two parties that are the same is a long way from democracy but its better than having unelected bureaucrats in Brussels telling us what to do.

Not many people on here will agree with these benefits as many Remoaners worship the EU and Greta thunberg.

To all the Remoaners, Brexit happened now get over it and stop moaning.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 05-01-2023 at 12:59.

Rides
    One of the benefits of leaving the EU is that it has gave construction and engineering a huge boost as we have still got thousands of warehouses and industrial units to build as we can't rely on the EU anymore.
    Don't know enough about it so can't comment. Would love to see your data.

Another benefit of leaving the EU was how quickly we were able to procure the holy magic vaccine
    Even you can't be stupid enough to be regurgitating this line years after it was debunked:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...ovid-jab-claim

Jun Raine, the head of the MHRA, the group that approves vaccines for the UK, said herself that Brexit played no part in it.

Another benefit of leaving the EU is that we are now more democratic, I'm not claiming we live in a true democracy as having two parties that are the same is a long way from democracy but its better than having unelected bureaucrats in Brussels telling us what to do.
    Surely you're now just trolling? We already covered last year that in all the decisions the UK has made as a part of the EU, it only objected twice in FORTY YEARS.

Not many people on here will agree with these benefits as many Remoaners worship the EU and Greta thunberg.

To all the Remoaners, Brexit happened now get over it and stop moaning.
    And he's back to being a mug. I honestly don't know why we humour you here, you live in a different reality
    Last edited by piman2k; 05-01-2023 at 13:17.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    So a skills shortage, a materials shortage and increased paperwork for imports are benefits are they? https://tinyurl.com/37vaeu7x
    BTW the industry is expected to contract by 1.9% in 2023.

Another benefit of leaving the EU was how quickly we were able to procure the holy magic vaccine
    This one has been disproven so many time its not even funny any more: https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/
    TBF I know a false claim from the Tories is incredibly rare though.

No-one voted for the current PM and nothing remains of the 2 previous PMs manifestos including the one we actually voted on.
    The NHS is on its arse, there are strikes every day due to pay and conditions but HM Gov are refusing to even negotiate ........ but were able to find £37Bn for track and trace, £10Bn for unusable PPE and £6bn in fraudulent CBILS loans, none of which is being seriously looked into.
    Theres talk of ripping up Human and Employment Rights, reducing animal welfare and farming standards, our rivers and seas are literally full of shit. The Northern Ireland treaty cant work with the way we have done Brexit, how is that "democratic", not to mention the "democratic" appointment of people like Lebvedev and Nadine Dorries to the House of Lords or the fact the oppositon are currently polling at 48% against 24% for the incumbents?
    Funny looking democracy if you ask me.

Believe it or not Im not looking to get into a row over your personal beliefs, but no-one Ive spoken to has actually been able to come up with an actual Brexit benefit, Id love to hear one that isnt bullshit made up by the Tories or "wE cAn mAkE oUr oWn LaWs", we could actually do that before and the changes to law that are suggested (no holiday pay, removing right to strike/protest) are pretty abhorrent to anyone with any level of compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    We haven't had a true benefit doc because there aren't any. The closest was DLowe with his anecdotal experience in his industry growth but there was still no data to prove it was because of Brexit.

Leon is just not operating on the same level of reality.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    So a skills shortage, a materials shortage and increased paperwork for imports are benefits are they? https://tinyurl.com/37vaeu7x
    BTW the industry is expected to contract by 1.9% in 2023.

This one has been disproven so many time its not even funny any more: https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/
    TBF I know a false claim from the Tories is incredibly rare though.

No-one voted for the current PM and nothing remains of the 2 previous PMs manifestos including the one we actually voted on.
    The NHS is on its arse, there are strikes every day due to pay and conditions but HM Gov are refusing to even negotiate ........ but were able to find £37Bn for track and trace, £10Bn for unusable PPE and £6bn in fraudulent CBILS loans, none of which is being seriously looked into.
    Theres talk of ripping up Human and Employment Rights, reducing animal welfare and farming standards, our rivers and seas are literally full of shit. The Northern Ireland treaty cant work with the way we have done Brexit, how is that "democratic", not to mention the "democratic" appointment of people like Lebvedev and Nadine Dorries to the House of Lords or the fact the oppositon are currently polling at 48% against 24% for the incumbents?
    Funny looking democracy if you ask me.

Believe it or not Im not looking to get into a row over your personal beliefs, but no-one Ive spoken to has actually been able to come up with an actual Brexit benefit, Id love to hear one that isnt bullshit made up by the Tories or "wE cAn mAkE oUr oWn LaWs", we could actually do that before and the changes to law that are suggested (no holiday pay, removing right to strike/protest) are pretty abhorrent to anyone with any level of compassion.

I didn't mention the approval of the holy magic vaccine.
    I said procure, there is a huge difference between procurement and approval.

The only materials shortage in my industry was during Covid as most of the production facilities shutdown for six weeks.

A labour shortage benefits the vast majority as the employer will have to pay more money to secure their labour.

It is easy to see why the Remoaners lost the referendum.

One of the many reasons the majority of the British public voted to leave the EU was that cheap foreign labour had decimated their wage packet so a labour shortage was exactly the outcome they desired.

Which is why many brexiteers are gloating.

Brexiteers are gloating because we won the referendum got the labour shortage we desired, the Remoaners lost and are that upset they are still moaning about it.

The UK is about as Democratic as North Korea.

We have financial markets dictating our financial policy and selecting our latest prime minister.

The Tories want to ban people withdrawing their labour, which is undemocratic and it should be illegal to force anyone to go to work in a democracy.

The Labour Party wanted to bring in laws that would see people put in prison for stating facts on social media and for also stating their opinion, free speech is one of the foundations of any democracy which is why it is part of the American constitution.

The Labour Party leader Sir Keir didn't prosecute the serial paedophile Jimmy Saville but did prosecute journalists which is very undemocratic.

They are both shit,
    Both parties support/supported

Draconian measures that stomped all over people's inalienable rights during the covid debacle.

Prolonging the war in Ukraine which will cost us billions in aid and keep energy prices high and deplete our weapons stocks.

Net Zero which will dramatically lower our standard of living and freedom to travel.

There is no democracy regarding anything that will make a significant difference to our lives and liberty.

The only difference is how they will propose to spend the money in the public sector.

Rides
    I mean, I don't even know what to say lol.

Who voted for Brexit to induce a deliberate labour shortage? I didn't see that in any campaign lol. It's that very labour shortage that is negatively affecting U.K. growth.

What does Jimmy Saville have to do with Brexit lololol.

Honestly, you are just the most fun to read
    Last edited by piman2k; 05-01-2023 at 21:07.