Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    I don't really know what you mean?
    Last edited by piman2k; 22-11-2022 at 10:59.

Rides
    My mate lives right next to a BASF testing facility, he'd be delighted to know thanks to Brexit any random shite could be sprayed on the fields by his house.

Rides
    This is amazing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63700905

The Swiss Style deal talk, Swiss style being not in the EU but in the single market, is being shunned by Sunak because it might require us to align ourselves to some EU laws.

Even though, since the legislative wind back hasn't happened, we are already aligned to most of them.

And even though our current rule book is a carbon copy of the EU rule book.

It's completely absurd. We won't try and get the economic benefits because we don't have to conform to things we already currently conform to, because principles.

Yet more proof Brexit is pure ideology at any economic cost. Madness.

Rides
    I can't see the Tories doing that kind of deal, the country will have to wait for Labour. We'll probably end up slowly edging closer to Europe, bit by bit.
    Every step gives a small positive boost, so we take the next one. and so on and so on.

The funny thing is the Tories have built their reputation on good economic performance, now they've pretty much handed Labour a cheat code.
    All they have to do is move slowly closer to the EU and the economy will rise in line. If the Tories come in and try to reverse or stall it, the economy will dip.

Whether or not the Labour party leadership are smart enough to capitalise on the gift they've been given is another question.
    Last edited by R3K1355; 23-11-2022 at 08:42.

Rides
    I can't see them doing that sort of deal either, even tho it would be highly likely to give our economy a significant boost.

Like I said, it's ideology over practical need at the moment. Lunacy.

This is what happens when UKIP and Brexit Party people get a hold of the government.

Rides
    They're only lining themselves up for a lengthy period in opposition. The public will get tired of them eventually, and the biscuit spitters and gammons will be ignored as it's clear they're nothing more than hate filled idiots.

Rides
    Let's vote Brexit to reduce immigration!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63743259

Yes, I know it's partially down to Ukraine and Afghanistan, but it's still valid

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post

Yes, I know it's partially down to Ukraine and Afghanistan, but it's still valid
    Partially down to that useless Home Sec we had Priti Patel also

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post

I saw the news headline and immediately thought of this thread haha.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    I saw the news headline and immediately thought of this thread haha.
    Haha, you know us too well.

The whole thing is just a parody now, has been for a while.

But we're at the point where all we can identify in this thread is duty free and we've got data that covers every other aspect of the Brexit campaign being either cancelled or failed.

And yet we are still here, enduring it

Rides
    Changing the subject a bit, well quite a lot actually. But this protest movement "Just Stop Oil" - I found it interesting that in some capacity Aileen Getty (Yes from that Getty family) funds them and helps pay all their legal fees. So basically they are funded by oil money. Whats also interesting, Roger Hallam who heads the group was a co-founder of Extinction Rebellion - so it's not about being activists. It's just about causing trouble

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Aileen Getty founded the Climate Emergency Fund ......... and other than inheriting money from oil production hasnt had anything to do with oil. She is pretty clearly a philanthropist though.

Just Stop Oil say "our main goal is to stop the government bringing in new licenses that will permit exploring, developing and producing further oil and fossil fuels in the UK.
    Currently, the government plans to license more than 100 new oil and gas projects by 2025.
    Their specific wishes to help combat the climate crisis also include wanting better renewable energy investments and for better building installation to avoid energy waste"

How can anyone be against that, particularly when despite knowing the damage fossil fuels cause production and use has steadily increased for the last 30 years?

Same thing with Insulate Britain, what they are campaigning for would reduce pollution, reduce reliance on oil companies, reduce household energy bills ....... and was the policy HM Gov already had in place for years. Again, how can anyone argue with any of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    something something something gluing themselves to roads something something.

that's the best devil's advocate argument I can come up with
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Aileen Getty founded the Climate Emergency Fund ......... and other than inheriting money from oil production hasnt had anything to do with oil. She is pretty clearly a philanthropist though.

Just Stop Oil say "our main goal is to stop the government bringing in new licenses that will permit exploring, developing and producing further oil and fossil fuels in the UK.
    Currently, the government plans to license more than 100 new oil and gas projects by 2025.
    Their specific wishes to help combat the climate crisis also include wanting better renewable energy investments and for better building installation to avoid energy waste"

How can anyone be against that, particularly when despite knowing the damage fossil fuels cause production and use has steadily increased for the last 30 years?

Same thing with Insulate Britain, what they are campaigning for would reduce pollution, reduce reliance on oil companies, reduce household energy bills ....... and was the policy HM Gov already had in place for years. Again, how can anyone argue with any of that?
    But, she is able to be a philanthropist because of Oil money....

Doesn't matter we we will all be driving Electric cars in the future and guess who holds the mining rights to all the Lithium and Cobalt....

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    But, she is able to be a philanthropist because of Oil money....
    So she cant be nice to other people because her grandad made a load of cash from oil? All the more reason to try and redress the balance a bit IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    So she cant be nice to other people because her grandad made a load of cash from oil? All the more reason to try and redress the balance a bit IMO.
    She can, but can you not see the hypocrisy from the JSO lot?

Rides
    It's not as bad as the insulate Britain lot, where the leader lived in a drafty and poorly insulated house himself. They've dropped right off the map now, people probably just jumped onto the next 'fad' movement.

Rides
    3/4 of British Businesses surveyed by the British Chambers of Commerce have said that Brexit has not helped them expand

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...iness-uk-firms

https://www.ft.com/content/9d170855-...7-12e093c1dce2

Sad reading on both of those articles.

Centre for European reform (not familiar with them) says that increased Red Tape has knocked 7% off UK trade values

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64052849

And yet Jacob Rees-Mogg sits smugly on question time explaining that we now "make our own rules".

At this point it's beyond parody. I would love someone to go find me a positive story so we can break the cycle. I think we have definitively proven that, on the whole, Brexit has been extremely bad for the UK.

Next steps should be to have a test people have to take to show they understand the policies they vote for come the next referendum, whatever that may be for. It isn't enough to just live here and thus have a vote.
    Last edited by piman2k; 22-12-2022 at 13:16.

Rides
    Oh, and that's before you get to the Edinburgh Reforms in UK banking, the effective relaxation of tonnes of EU banking rules designed to avoid a financial crisis. Some good (pension fund rules changing) but some highly concerning including the removal of the need to ring fence retail banking deposits against investment funds, i.e. the banks can literally take customer money to invest in risky ventures.

And the de-capping of bankers bonus' to incentivise bankers to take those risks and make money. What could go wrong?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    It's not as bad as the insulate Britain lot, where the leader lived in a drafty and poorly insulated house himself. They've dropped right off the map now, people probably just jumped onto the next 'fad' movement.
    Have you ever seen Jeremy Corbyn's front garden?