Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    From my experience American owners are way worse than euro owners.... who were apparently a lot worse than when we were a UK national company....
    Not going to disagree there... but it is in their culture.

They don't generally promote a work / life balance... or never used to. You almost had to live for work. Does that make sense?

Rides
    Certainly does.....

Like I said we weren't forced to opt out in the sense of sign here or your sacked....... just put to us in a way the job wouldn't be worth doing if we didn't......

1 in every 12 were on call and pretty much guaranteed a 24hr shift, I can't think.of any other industry where the works so safety critical that they expect a full day's normal work and them to jump into a non stop shift until 8am the following day.

Was never like that in the old days, or even the German owned days...

But then it makes me question what does the EU working laws actually do? As our place seems to be able to do whatever they like with total disregard. A good example is, some years ago we were banned from stripping down lead cut outs I people's houses as there were a fair few that blew up, and a number of hospitalisations.... so we had to cut each one outside or turn off the street. Resulting in 2 a day per team getting changed... now it comes with a bigger ofgem reward so we can do them (instructed to do them) live again so we can fot in 4 a day.

The lack of investment is frightening too, there will be chaos when the cars are all electric (there is now behind the scenes, but we keep it running on the edge)

Can't help but think if it wasn't for the common market we may not have been on a mission of privatisation and we would be better off now with more independence in our energy networks and gas / oil resources instead of it all been on the table to the highest bidder and euro companies owning our power stations

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DLowe; 12-10-2022 at 22:06.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe
    From my experience American owners are way worse than euro owners.... who were apparently a lot worse than when we were a UK national company....
    I share you experience, but that's why unions exist over here and are gaining traction in the US. Your employer cannot force you to sign out of EWTD.

The best con they have going at the moment is sending women on university courses to "be more diverse" but then paying them 20k less than the blokes doing the same job
    This is exactly why the EU regulations exist and mandate pay equality. Regulations that our now far-right Brexit government is preparing to burn.

I raised the point on a job application, if we want to be inclusive etc. Then the question of male/female, black/white, Christian/Muslim etc shouldn't even be included on the form.... the fact that it is means its being used in some kind of spreadsheet somewhere.
    Totally agree! Lots of employers use blind forms now where all that is stripped out.

In a twisted and messed up way, in big companies getting away from all the equality rules might actually be beneficial to the workforce
    And now you're back in fantasy land I get your sentiment about diversity targets, and I actually agree, but we also have to remember we're both (I assume) white blokes.

But removing those rules also means gender pay gaps, employee discrimination and all the other horror stories these rules wiped out.

Rides
    I agree, there should be rules in place to prevent any discrimination, and we should be encouraging everyone to take part and go for jobs....

However in my work place and from my experience speaking to companies and various councils it seems to be going the other way and we are now discriminating against white middle aged men to progress....

It's as if we now HAVE to employ someone from every demographic just to say we have one.....

For a few years this has been the case for us, our planning department is now 75% female and not one of them has any experience on the tools and this shows in the quality of thier planning and that a good percentage are regularly sick with stress as they can't keep up with the workload due to not really knowing what's possible...

We also had a lovely black guy, one of the nicest blokes I've met get a job as an engineer...... who was absolutely scared stiff of electricity and was clearly not suitable for the job, yet "beat" 5 white guys with 10yrs plus experience each to the role.

It's impossible to recruit women at apprentice level as for some crazy reason 16yr old girls don't want be sat in a muddy hole at the side of the road in winter..... especially when the call centre isn't much less cash, but then we have meetings to say there needs to be more diversity so they get promoted ahead of the craftsman who's paid his dues on the tools.

Rides
    I agree, there should be rules in place to prevent any discrimination
    There are. It's this government, enabled by Brexit tribalism, that is trying to remove them.

However in my work place and from my experience speaking to companies and various councils it seems to be going the other way and we are now discriminating against white middle aged men to progress....
    You know what, I agree to an extent with that. I think it's a fine line between improving inclusivity in the workplace and ensuring people from all backgrounds have the opportunity to work in a company, versus actively stamping out the white middle aged man. But unfortunately, since we dominate, it may always feel like that even if it isn't like that.

But yeah we really are way off Brexit benefits now

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    FWIW a mate of mine runs a media company that provides commentary content to Sky, BBC etc.
    About 18 months ago he was told off the record that if he didnt considerably "diversify" his roster he could expect to lose the contracts, as did every other one of their suppliers.
    Suddenly the guys with 20+ years experience were worthless but any minority's value increased massively regardless of their capability or experience .......... but theres no denying that there is much more diversity out there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The diversity now is a massive range of capabilities in the same jobs, its like a lottery who's coming to site

The BBC was unreal when the radio 2 lineup went 75% female in prime time over night, nothing really wrong with them, but I don't think they're as good as the people they replaced...

But yes, way off brexit topic

Rides
    And then people get pilloried for speaking out that this diversify PC things is going to far.

How many "Genders" do you think there are?

I have nothing against anyone, but to have to say "I neither associate myself with being male or female so am considered 'Non Binary'" FFS it is going a bit far. Not even touched on the other 40 or so "Genders"

Rides
    Here's a light hearted ribbing of the post-Brexit benefits to travel that people are experiencing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2203397.html

Rides
    Sooo . lots have happened in the political landscape.

Liz Truss, PM for 44 days - may have destroyed "Brexitism"

No one trusts the Tories to get it right, none of the other electable parties want it.

Let's talk about that?

Rides
    What do you mean when you say destroyed Brexitism?

To me, I see that word as being the cavalier, little-empire-esque way of thinking, in which case I hope you're right.

The country is polling overwhelmingly to Labour at the moment, but we won't get that election we so desperately want. I have a friend who has just renewed his mortgage at £380 more than it was before, which we both attribute a significant amount of that rise to KK and LT. Frankly, there should be an arrestable offense when it comes to what I feel was an act of economic terrorism. Funny how chunks of their financial associates have benefitted, again.

Be interesting to see what Sunak is going to do to stabilise the country. I think he is the best of the bad bunch, but reassuringly I don't remember him being a prolific Brexit campaigner. My hope is that the economist in him realises that, even though we're out, we need to be realistic about needing to stay close to the EU.

Edit 25/10 - it's somewhat comical that he's given his entrance speech and promised to control the UK's borders. I feel like that was kind of the point of Brexit and something they kept saying they'd delivered.
    Last edited by piman2k; 25-10-2022 at 11:12.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    What do you mean when you say destroyed Brexitism?

To me, I see that word as being the cavalier, little-empire-esque way of thinking, in which case I hope you're right.

The country is polling overwhelmingly to Labour at the moment, but we won't get that election we so desperately want. I have a friend who has just renewed his mortgage at £380 more than it was before, which we both attribute a significant amount of that rise to KK and LT. Frankly, there should be an arrestable offense when it comes to what I feel was an act of economic terrorism. Funny how chunks of their financial associates have benefitted, again.

Be interesting to see what Sunak is going to do to stabilise the country. I think he is the best of the bad bunch, but reassuringly I don't remember him being a prolific Brexit campaigner. My hope is that the economist in him realises that, even though we're out, we need to be realistic about needing to stay close to the EU.

Edit 25/10 - it's somewhat comical that he's given his entrance speech and promised to control the UK's borders. I feel like that was kind of the point of Brexit and something they kept saying they'd delivered.
    Response to 25/10 but lets face it when you give the job of controlling the borders to a 2nd generation immigrant (Priti Patel) who was also incompetent... what do you expect?

Kwarteng - just seemed to know his economics from - I'm not going to say it.

Just watch Jonathan Pie re: Liz Truss

Rides
    Here's a decent dissection of the economic impact of Brexit so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIi...hannel=BBCNews

I particularly like this graph, from the OBR, that shows how much the UK's exports haven't bounced back after COVID, which utterly eviscerates the argument of "global headwinds" that the goverment love to spin

Rides
    And here's another good benefit we have: Tax Rises!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63465935

Tax rises coming to fill the "COVID pandemic response" gap because there's a £40 billion shortfall in the UK's books.

Now, imagine if we stayed in the EU where GDP would be 4% higher than is currently predicted (OBR, government body).

UK GDP in 2021 was £3.187 trillion GDP in and that 40% of the 4% reduction has already been calculated as part of that £3.187 trillion. That means there's roughly an £80 billion further loss here from a £128 billion total loss.

An £80 billion loss when we have a £40 billion shortfall.

So when your taxes go up, remember, had we not 'done a Brexit' we wouldn't be putting up tax
    Last edited by piman2k; 01-11-2022 at 07:53.

Rides
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...es/ar-AA13JTta

Wait what? The reduced value of the pound as seen as a direct result of Brexit is pushing up inflation more than it would have done had the pound maintained its relative strength to other currencies.

Wowzers, who would have thought. Thanks Brexiteers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Here's a decent dissection of the economic impact of Brexit so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIi...hannel=BBCNews

I particularly like this graph, from the OBR, that shows how much the UK's exports haven't bounced back after COVID, which utterly eviscerates the argument of "global headwinds" that the goverment love to spin

I can tell you what My Economic impact was due to the Truss / Kwasimodo mini budget. 40 K lost on my pension funds.

I seriously hope all you right wingers who voted for Brexit have lost just as much and are now crying because your mortgages are about to increase

This inept government have now started to make me angry.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    FWIW a mate of mine runs a media company that provides commentary content to Sky, BBC etc.
    About 18 months ago he was told off the record that if he didnt considerably "diversify" his roster he could expect to lose the contracts, as did every other one of their suppliers.
    Suddenly the guys with 20+ years experience were worthless but any minority's value increased massively regardless of their capability or experience .......... but theres no denying that there is much more diversity out there now.
    Mate I am sorry for what I said. I was wrong. Brexit and these latest inept Tory governments have been a complete cluster f**k. It's been like Mike Brewer taking an economy and trying to make it better for a personal profit

Rides
    And that twat. The Right Honorable Victorian - named "Jacob Rees-Mogg" he's got a neck that someone with big hands could

Rides
    Can anyone remember the last time they met an avid Brexit supporter?

They were so vocal a few years ago, now nothing. Slithered off back into their holes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Can anyone remember the last time they met an avid Brexit supporter?

They were so vocal a few years ago, now nothing. Slithered off back into their holes.
    Not met him, but DLOWE