Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides

Brexit Benefits

Because this is basically the Brexit Discussion club right?

Two weeks in, I can see this so far:

• M&S restricting product ranges in N/Ireland because of mainland border check delays.
    • British holiday home owners in Spain angry now they're only allowed in for 3 out of every 6 months.
    • New Ex-pats (aka immigrants) angry because they have to prove a hefty monthly income and can't just rock up.
    • Cornish shellfish industry completely stopped because the certificates they need to export into the EU don't exist, and won't until at least April.
    • Kirkella Supertrawler from Hull laid up because Brexit means it has no rights or licences to fish anywhere.
    • And a plethora of small, independent and niche businesses electing to stop selling to the UK all together because of the UK's self imposed post-Brexit VAT strategy

Has anything good happened?

Rides
    I got a black (apparently dark blue) passport through the post the other week. Is that a benefit? Doesn't feel like one, but scratching my head for anything proper.

Rides
    NHS is still waiting for that £350m they were so widely promised.

Lord knows they could really do with it right now.

Rides
    Don't know how true it is, but:
    The EU’s Cross-Border Enforcement Directive no longer applies, French officials have said, so British-registered vehicles will no longer be sent fines for offences detected by roadside cameras

Rides
    Would hate to know what their on the spot fines will increase to then if they admit their cameras won't catch us (I mean them dirty speeders )

Rides
    Brexit is nothing but a get rich scheme for the elite, my opinion obviously

I keep thinking it’s all a joke - Brexit, Trump, Borris, Covid .... what’s the punchline - me still working when I’m 80 to make ends meet lol

Rides
    Lorry driver got his ham sandwich taken away in the Netherlands... outrageous! Could understand if had Marmite in it, but to my knowledge, it didn't!

Hopefully this thread won't descend in to personal attacks and petty name calling like the last one.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    I hope no one minds. Last week we made the most chocolate since 2007. Lots of new customers. Our engineering contractors are extremely busy, although this may be down to others start up issues after Christmas shutdowns. So we'll see.

The 2 largest employers in Worksop are recruiting.

I'm certain I'll join the doom and gloom just as soon as people stop eating.

I worry for the Dutch if they have to confiscate people's food to boost their own economy.

Rides
    That’s all very positive, but is it a benefit of Brexit? If it wasn’t a direct result of Brexit then it doesn’t factor into the discussion.

Rides
    Yes, customers have stopped buying chocolate from the EU and come to us. There are no Cocoa plantations in the EU, so Belgian chocolate is just chocolate made in Belgium. Same with the Swiss, but obviously they're not in the EU.

Of course leaving the EU will affect some people negatively, I fully accept that, but please accept that some people other than the odious Fartrage and JRM will benefit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    That’s all very positive, but is it a benefit of Brexit? If it wasn’t a direct result of Brexit then it doesn’t factor into the discussion.
    I hope you don't mind me saying so, but that might be disingenuous since a lot of remain minded folk like to put Brexit at the door of any bad news, too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Yes, customers have stopped buying chocolate from the EU and come to us. There are no Cocoa plantations in the EU, so Belgian chocolate is just chocolate made in Belgium. Same with the Swiss, but obviously they're not in the EU.

Of course leaving the EU will affect some people negatively, I fully accept that, but please accept that some people other than the odious Fartrage and JRM will benefit.
    I'm open to accept there are some good things, and it sounds like your industry has definitely benefitted from the lack of need to import. So I don't see how that couldn't be recognised as a genuine benefit. It's just a shame that I doubt it's a huge portion of the economy, but a gain is a gain.

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I hope you don't mind me saying so, but that might be disingenuous since a lot of remain minded folk like to put Brexit at the door of any bad news, too.
    I don't see how bud, it shouldn't be a matter of opinion really. Either something has improved or not, but the points I made are demonstrably linked to the new arrangements.

Rides
    Cocoa products from West Africa via the Netherlands, milk products from Ireland and France, flavorings from South east Asia etc. The only ingredient we don't import is sugar.

I understand anyone's unhappiness with Brexit. That is fine. When asked why I joined the navy, my simple answer is the miner's strike ended 6 weeks before I left school. One third of each year would be employed by the pits within 2 years of leaving.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Apologies if some of my comments have come across as a little uncaring. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone under 50 employed in the car industry, but it is acting like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah as it kills itself with 600bhp 2 tonne nonsense.

Honda closing for 4 days is nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the lack of sales, but no one wants to hear that. We imported extra ingredients through the year and it's not like car parts have a sell by date.

Rides
    I don't think you came across uncaring chap, I didn't read into it like that.

Car industry is in for a rocky time this year, anyone manufacturing will be worried but equally the consumers will lose out. Check the latest on Fiesta going up £1,700

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...brexit-tariffs

Edit - just to add, most of the car manufacturers stock piled parts towards the end of last year because they wanted to dodge the initial disruption. In the same way a lot of the plants went on shutdown around October 2019 when we were supposed to also leave at that point.
    Last edited by piman2k; 14-01-2021 at 15:44.

Rides
    Maybe not uncaring, but possibly a bit flippant where people's livelihoods are at stake.

It's probably my own fault for reading the Guardian, but it does appear that both Brexit and Remain have taken on almost quasi religious overtones. I do think there are callous, uncaring people who think they know best on both sides. Part of me thinks that Cameron was crazy to call the Referendum, but then another part of me thinks you can't have too much democracy and it's only a problem when it doesn't go someone's way. To be honest, with the majority it should have been a BRINO deal, maybe we only pay half the Erasmus bill, but unfortunately the negotiations were being carried out by people who didn't want to do it. What is scary is that some people don't just want to win, the other side must lose. I don't want anyone to lose, we're all just born and then try to live the best life we can.

I assumed most manufacturers would stockpile, be absolutely crazy not to. I do think the German car industry is setting itself up for real trouble, setting up "financial services" to buy back cars at inflated prices just to maintain a fake value. Is it the next Sub prime mortgage?

I do think with the amount of money currently being "printed", whether by our next PM or the ECB will make Brexit seem quite small when it starts to be clawed back.
    Last edited by cleanhands; 14-01-2021 at 16:47.

Rides
    I don't think I'd describe the divide as similar to religion, but I do completely see the validity of the analogy.

What's interesting to me right now is that within a fortnight of the event, the only countries that appear to be suffering are the countries that didn't vote for it to happen in the first place. Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Plus the fishing industry that is the centre of the Brexit universe, is being crushed at an exponential rate as we speak. Johnson took part in some form of select committee earlier this week that I caught the highlights of where he actually said we would be compensating fishermen who are losing out. (Albeit he is now U-Turning on that after literally a day - link to article).

I didn't see that in the Brexit campaign documentation. The need to compensate the industry for Brexit despite it being the industry that would benefit the most from Brexit.

Car prices are going up. Supermarkets are warning that food prices are about to go up. Small businesses around the world are issuing statements saying they won't be selling to the UK anymore because of the VAT rules. Small busines here are losing customers because of the duties their products are now facing. The City of London has been told that it's not going to get free access to it's most important market.

It is what it is, but I think most remain voters so far can at least take a little comfort in knowing that they were right.
    Last edited by piman2k; 15-01-2021 at 07:27.

Rides
    What's wrong with being under 50 working in the car industry? I'm a Honda technician and I'm currently earning the same money including bonus I was 12 months ago and that's during a pandemic when supposedly people don't need to drive as much.

Rides
    2 weeks in, I wouldn't expect dealerships (where I assume you are) to be feeling anything because it'll be dwarfed by COVID. The general reference to car industry, at least when I use it, is referenced to manufacturing and engineering sites.

Rides
    Unpopular opinion, but I think the best thing in its current form would be for the car industry to suck a shit and die.......

Its generic white good crap that tries to keep people in a popetual loop of debt through PCP...

Also since the idea that renting a car is the new normal the prices have gone spastic, way before brexit the likes of AUDI and BMW were ruining it for all. My mate bought a new range rover just before I got married and it was just over 60k, he's just replaced it with the new version of the same car and ita now up at near on 100! That kind of inflation is only happening because people don't realise the rip off when its spread over monthly payments and they get hand it back.

Just look on hotuk deals and people now think spending 6k over 3yrs on a skoda to hand it back with nothing to show for it is "hot".... 10yrs ago I'd cry at loosing 6k on a car (well I still would)

the fact that anyone can "afford" a car now via rent has also made streets an absolute ghetto round here with pavements full of the latest cheap audi to negotiate with push chairs because people have a 80k terrace house and leave 80k in 2 cars parked outside because there's no drive, its getting a joke.

The best thing for the motor industry would let the big German manufactures and JLR die off due to running costs, as all the profit leaves us anyway and revive Dennis or similar to start making an actual use able public transport system that really is affordable and a genuine alternative to owning a car you can't afford. Then everyone working for Honda or whoever can find similar jobs making the buses

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk