Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    To be fair Doc, misinformation has killed people in the pandemic, I know there were many reports of the Black and Asian communities being particularly targeted and thus avoiding the vaccine.

It's just the same old same old, DLowe has made his conclusions about Brexit and COVID, and now just looks for the information that confirms what he thinks.

We established many, many pages ago that he has no ability to critically think.
    To be fair, people like DinLow(e) have fueled the misinformation

Docwra doesn't reply, because I think he has blocked me.... but I do know what it is to work for one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies. I ran the IT infrastructre for TEVA Pharmaceuticals for 13 years....most vaccines take years through testing. C19 was a different kettle of fish. Problem we have is because Boris has been found out to be a bullshitter

Rides
    I built the IT for Clozapine clinical trials.... one of the side effects, was DEATH. not sure how many people knew that....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    one of the side effects, was DEATH. not sure how many people knew that....
    its only a problem if you are allergic too it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    its only a problem if you are allergic too it.

Rides
    Mark Carney, former head of the BoE has come out saying that Brexit is absolutely adding to inflation pressures.

theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/17/brexit-to-blame-for-rising-inflation-says-former-bank-of-england-governor

[quote=Mark Carney]"We laid out in advance of Brexit that this will be a negative supply shock for a period of time and the consequence of that will be a weaker pound, higher inflation and weaker growth,” Carney said.

Then Jon Haskel, a member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee added:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Haskel
    “And the central bank will need to lean against that. Now that’s exactly what’s happened. It’s happened in coincidence with other factors, but it is a unique aspect of the economic adjustment that’s going on here
    Of course it didn't take long for the vile, lie spewing Conservative mouthpieces to pipe up including my abhorrent local MP:

The former business secretary Andrea Leadsom told the paper: “I do not agree that inflation is caused by Brexit. Inflation is a massive problem around the world.

The spikes in energy prices are a massive problem caused by Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine – it is not unique to the UK. You can certainly argue supply chains were broken by the Covid pandemic, and that made it harder following Brexit to recover.

But to say this is all the fault of Brexit is just nonsense".
    I highlighted the last part because this is classic Tory, to argue something that hasn't been said. No one said it was exclusively Brexit, in the same article it was quoted as being coincidental to other factors.

And this is how misinformation spreads.

Rides
    [QUOTE=piman2k;6842102]Mark Carney, former head of the BoE has come out saying that Brexit is absolutely adding to inflation pressures.

theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/17/brexit-to-blame-for-rising-inflation-says-former-bank-of-england-governor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carney
    "We laid out in advance of Brexit that this will be a negative supply shock for a period of time and the consequence of that will be a weaker pound, higher inflation and weaker growth,” Carney said.

Then Jon Haskel, a member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee added:

Of course it didn't take long for the vile, lie spewing Conservative mouthpieces to pipe up including my abhorrent local MP:

I highlighted the last part because this is classic Tory, to argue something that hasn't been said. No one said it was exclusively Brexit, in the same article it was quoted as being coincidental to other factors.

And this is how misinformation spreads.
    Hold on... Didn't Boris accuse him during Brexit???

Oh and what happened to Boris last week?

Rides
    Accuse of what?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Docwra doesn't reply, because I think he has blocked me....
    No, not blocked at all, just a bit fed up of the antivax bollocks continuing 18 months after the event.
    The Covid vaccines went through the same testing as any other vaccine - SARS are familiar viruses, all trials took place concurrently, the entire world was working on this at the same time (GSK alone has 30+ research facilities) - its also 2020, we can read genetic information and have computational ability that would have been unimaginable even 20 years ago.

Rather like chemtrails and climate change deniers I hear about people dying from taking the Covid vaccine all the time but Ive not seen any actual evidence of it, certainly not in any numbers that we should be concerned about ......... but here we are, talking about it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    No, not blocked at all, just a bit fed up of the antivax bollocks continuing 18 months after the event.
    The Covid vaccines went through the same testing as any other vaccine - SARS are familiar viruses, all trials took place concurrently, the entire world was working on this at the same time (GSK alone has 30+ research facilities) - its also 2020, we can read genetic information and have computational ability that would have been unimaginable even 20 years ago.

Rather like chemtrails and climate change deniers I hear about people dying from taking the Covid vaccine all the time but Ive not seen any actual evidence of it, certainly not in any numbers that we should be concerned about ......... but here we are, talking about it anyway.
    Sorry mate. . I fully agree with what you are saying

Rides
    I enjoyed this today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...recession.html

Basically Philip Hammond said we should relax migration rules to let more workers in because the labour shortage (that DLowe says isn't real) is driving our inflation further up relative to that of our European friends.

He's right, so Downing Street said he was talking sh1t

Rides
    You Gov have surveyed the country for 58% in favour of rejoining the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...6-survey-finds

Interesting.

Rides
    We were told pretty relentlessly that leaving the EU would allow us to break free from their restrictive rules and allow greater prosperity.

Now it seems, doing just that will end up costing us dearly. How ironic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66026647

Britain should continue following EU car regulations to avoid extra costs for consumers, says the boss of Ford.

Some Brexit campaigners want the UK do more to set itself apart from the EU and to focus on markets beyond Europe.

Tim Slatter said: "It's really important that we maintain really good alignment to the European [regulatory environment] because that's where we build and sell most of our vehicles.

"Otherwise, what we're going to see is a lot of extra cost come into the cost of developing vehicles and producing vehicles and that can't be a good thing for customers."

Rides
    As one of the many voices saying exactly that, I hope the Brexiteers take even a cursory look. Car industry worker here. The idea we would just stop selling most of our cars into Europe and switch to the rest of the world was comical at best.

Rides
    Didn't we just sign a deal today to align our financial regulations along with Europe?

Rides
    As one of the many voices saying exactly that, I hope the Brexiteers take even a cursory look. Car industry worker here. The idea we would just stop selling most of our cars into Europe and switch to the rest of the world was comical at best.
    Considering the EU is the World's largest economy...

Rides
    More fun and games

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...20in%20Britain.

A Brexit-backing Tory MP has been roasted after he called for more EU workers to help plug staff shortages in the UK.

George Eustice said the government should agree a “youth-mobility visa scheme” which would allow under-35s from the continent to work for up to two years in Britain.
    This tweet sums it up the best

https://twitter.com/oldjumpers/statu...b0b64176382761

Rides
    Also worth pointing out that today the EU signed a free trade agreement with New Zealand that now gives them much better trading terms than ours

Rides
    Also worth pointing out that today the EU signed a free trade agreement with New Zealand that now gives them much better trading terms than ours
    Why would NZ give the UK better trading terms than the worlds largest Trading Bloc?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Why would NZ give the UK better trading terms than the worlds largest Trading Bloc?
    I seem to remember one of the reasons given for leaving the worlds largest trading bloc was the improved trade deals we would be able to negotiate. I am SHOCKED this has not proven to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Well they wouldn't, hence I used the wack face to point out how wack it is.

The UK figures are extremely, and I suspect deliberately, wooly about the UK/NZ deal. It says our deal will increase bilateral trade with NZ by 60% and estimates it'll be worth £800 million to us.

It also says we currently do about £2.3 bn worth of trade with NZ but doesn't explain how that's split.

So I see plenty of Brexiteers defending the deal as better because it is 60% whereas the EU deal is a net increase of 30%.

One of those stories where the figures are made deliberately vague, I suspect to hide the fact it's likely worthless to us.