Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    So what are people's thoughts on the proposed Vaccine export ban that will be voted for tomorrow? Read the full post please.

Specifically the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Here's the thing. The UK gets all of its doses from the Oxford and Keele plants in the UK. AstraZeneca also has plants In Sweden manufacturing it and are soon to bring online a 3rd party to manufacture it in the Netherlands.

There has been a very slow take up of a vaccine in the EU, they just don't trust it, whereas it's a pretty high take up in the UK. What's more, there are millions of doses being left to waste in the EU. Overall 55% according to polls do not want the AstraZeneca vaccine because of scaremongering about blood clots.

On the other hand, they want the Pfizer vaccine that is manufactured in Belgium (Canterbury will soon come online) - the UK has a simple countermeasure to the EU. The Lipids that are required to coat the Pfizer vaccine are manufactured in the UK. The UK could play as big a hard ball and tell the EU if you ban vaccine exports which your people don't want. We'll ban exports of the thing that makes the Pfizer vaccine work.

It's all political bullshit. Macro has to appear strong because he's up for re-election. And Merkel is a tired politician who wants to quit. It's all about Brexit and not for what would be the greater good.

Don't we have the power now to put tariffs in German cars and French produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    It all feels massively political, and I am not following it well enough to make a judgmeent. But:

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_200
    We do that, and it'll be a couple of weeks before our economy is on its knees. I'm not sure we can actually do it can we, considering the fields are not related to the vaccine goods? Or is it just a free for all?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    So what are people's thoughts on the proposed Vaccine export ban that will be voted for tomorrow? Read the full post please.

Here's the thing. The UK gets all of its doses from the Oxford and Keele plants in the UK.
    Even the 5m doses we are due to receive from India? Theres also no evidence that doses are being wasted (there were some stories about stockpiles in early March) and Im struggling to see how the EU can simultaneously need increased supply when they arent using what they have already.

The bit youre right on is it is all political bullshit thats pointless for us to try and decipher as we dont have anywhere near all of the information.
    What I do find quite telling is that the whole world needs to be vaccinated, partisan wars over who gets what doesnt do anyone any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post

Here's the thing. The UK gets all of its doses from the Oxford and Keele plants in the UK. AstraZeneca also has plants In Sweden manufacturing it and are soon to bring online a 3rd party to manufacture it in the Netherlands.

There has been a very slow take up of a vaccine in the EU, they just don't trust it, whereas it's a pretty high take up in the UK. What's more, there are millions of doses being left to waste in the EU. Overall 55% according to polls do not want the AstraZeneca vaccine because of scaremongering about blood clots.

On the other hand, they want the Pfizer vaccine that is manufactured in Belgium (Canterbury will soon come online) - the UK has a simple countermeasure to the EU. The Lipids that are required to coat the Pfizer vaccine are manufactured in the UK. The UK could play as big a hard ball and tell the EU if you ban vaccine exports which your people don't want. We'll ban exports of the thing that makes the Pfizer vaccine work.

It's all political bullshit. Macro has to appear strong because he's up for re-election. And Merkel is a tired politician who wants to quit. It's all about Brexit and not for what would be the greater good.

The ban is mainly aimed at us and the USA.

I can't imagine the Americans being very impressed if the EU steps in and cuts off their vaccine supply.

Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Even the 5m doses we are due to receive from India?
    India just put an export ban in place didn't they?

Rides
    George Useless, sorry, Eustice, now saying that "British fishermen wanting to sell live mussels, oysters, clams and cockles would have to find "alternative markets" if the EU would not adjust its position".

You know, rather than almost their entire market being 18 miles away.

He calls it a "ban" on British shellfish exports to play the politics, when in reality it isn't a ban at all, it's the EU applying the same rules it applies to every third country. We are absolutely allowed to export to the EU, if we purify the produce first. Which costs a lot. And we don't have the ability to do here.

Worth pointing out that he was aware, he signed into some documentation that included that statement.

Fishing industry, majority of who voted Brexit, receiving exactly what they voted for and now complaining. Novel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56529351

Rides
    It's not just the cost of purification, it's the resulting product thats a problem as well. It's got a shorter shelf-life, so you'd imagine it would then attract a lower price as a result.
    More expensive to produce and less valuable to sell, not a good mix.

There is some talk of trying to reclassify our waters, as they could achieve a higher rating at certain times of the year. There hasn't been much noise from the government on it though, so kinda looks like thats not something that will happen.

Rides
    Because they don't give a monkeys lol. It's such a small part of our economy that they don't have to worry about it. Fishing was always an emotive, politicised point that Johnson used to beat his meat over with all the other WW2, Churchill loving, spifire flying Brexit fan boys. And it was the perfect excuse to run us right up to the wire.

But now he's got what he wanted, he doesn't need to do anything about it. If these shellfishermen/women think there is any hope coming, they're bitterly mistaken.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    If these shellfishermen/women
    You horrible, sexist pig. It's Shellfisherpersons now I'll have you know
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/132464...-neutral-term/

Rides
    Fcuking hell, kudos to her for giving them stick about it. Lol, that is mint.

Honestly, I never know how to talk to people anymore.

Rides
    Honestly, I never know how to talk to people anymore.
    This. I swear I've offended 10 people somehow these days before even leaving the house.

Rides
    Because they don't give a monkeys lol. It's such a small part of our economy that they don't have to worry about it. Fishing was always an emotive, politicised point that Johnson used to beat his meat over with all the other WW2, Churchill loving, spifire flying Brexit fan boys. And it was the perfect excuse to run us right up to the wire.

But now he's got what he wanted, he doesn't need to do anything about it. If these shellfishermen/women think there is any hope coming, they're bitterly mistaken.

This government doesn't care about our economy at all, they have destroyed our economy over the last year. Fishing is a small casualty compared to hospitality/leisure and retail which they will completely destroy this year.
    Fortunately for them most people will not realise this fact until after the May elections.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Even the 5m doses we are due to receive from India? Theres also no evidence that doses are being wasted (there were some stories about stockpiles in early March) and Im struggling to see how the EU can simultaneously need increased supply when they arent using what they have already.

The bit youre right on is it is all political bullshit thats pointless for us to try and decipher as we dont have anywhere near all of the information.
    What I do find quite telling is that the whole world needs to be vaccinated, partisan wars over who gets what doesnt do anyone any good.
    We had a falling out last year about Covid. I’m so sorry. My best friend died from it, it is an awful disease

I’d rather the whole world be vaccinated. It’s no different from getting jabs if you go to Singapore

Rides
    I have to say, since stopping following the disaster persistently via Facebook and activist groups, I find myself actually significantly happier. Ignorance really is bliss.

In other news, I think we will start to see the next phase of problems. We're 3 months in, which isn't stupidly far off some commercial payment terms that companies operate. So about now is the time plenty of companies would expect to be hauling in payments for goods delivered in January. Since there's been a significant reduction in the number of goods exported, those financial numbers are going to be a lot lower this month.

And this is where the pain will start. Followed by an overdrive kick when the checks go to full strength in July.

Rides
    I have to say, since stopping following the disaster persistently via Facebook and activist groups, I find myself actually significantly happier. Ignorance really is bliss.

In other news, I think we will start to see the next phase of problems. We're 3 months in, which isn't stupidly far off some commercial payment terms that companies operate. So about now is the time plenty of companies would expect to be hauling in payments for goods delivered in January. Since there's been a significant reduction in the number of goods exported, those financial numbers are going to be a lot lower this month.

And this is where the pain will start. Followed by an overdrive kick when the checks go to full strength in July.
    That’s alright. I’m much happier these day’s

Rides
    I really have gone conservative. I bought my mum a copy of the Express

Rides
    Oh good lord. The 'Museum of Brexit'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ritable-status

Rides
    I wonder if the bus will be there? or even mentioned.

Rides
    So, no doubt people enjoyed the Budget on Wednesday and Mr. Sunak is touring the TV shows this week touting that everything is golden and if you fly the Red Ensign on your freight ship you get a tax break

Meanwhile the Office for Budget Responsibility, the very people that make the numbers on which he bases his budget, have once again reported the negative effects of Brexit on the UK economy.

We have heard pandemic, pandemic and pandemic over and over again and not a whisper of Brexit, despite Brexit now being statistically more damaging to the UK economy than the pandemic by a factor of 2. He has been dismissing this position as "their opinion" despite them literally being the department that provides the figures for his budget to be based on.

Here it is in Black and White at the source: https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/th...s/#assumptions

And some key headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by OBR
    In the near term, trade disruption associated with the implementation of the new trading relationship (the ‘Trade and Cooperation Agreement’ or TCA) will temporarily reduce GDP by 0.5 per cent in the first quarter of 2021
    The new trading relationship will reduce long-run productivity by 4 per cent relative to remaining in the EU
    Both exports and imports will be around 15 per cent lower in the long run than if the UK had remained in the EU
    New trade deals with non-EU countries will not have a material impact
    with an example of the above being:

By way of illustration, the Government’s own economic impact assessment of one of the most important agreements concluded to date, the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership, suggested that this agreement would increase the UK’s GDP by 0.07 per cent over the next 15 years
    Now, someone provide me with a witty and evidence based retort to how Brexit is good for the country?
    Last edited by piman2k; 29-10-2021 at 10:42.

Rides
    I've been searching for one since the last post on this thread.

Still searching.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    I've been searching for one since the last post on this thread.

Still searching.
    I do actually have some mates who voted to leave for various reasons; every single one would change their decision if they were given a chance.
    I still havent found anyone who has tried to claim it has any positive aspects though, literally none.

Why its that obvious to every person I know why is the government (and the opposition) not able to admit this?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go