Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Why its that obvious to every person I know why is the government (and the opposition) not able to admit this?
    Because if Labour bring it up the Tories will bury them in the rhetoric of "oh they're still moaning", which the toilet paper publications like the Mail and Express will get out to the average Joe.

The only benefit I heard touted was the vaccine programme, but even that's gone quiet.

Loving how the post-Brexit Government are deliberately screwing the French over with regards to fishing licences, JUST so the Government can jump up and look like they're coming to the aid of the fishing industry that remains royally ****ed.

Rides
    Brexit is a disaster. We needed the EU to protect us from our own government.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    The only benefit I heard touted was the vaccine programme, but even that's gone quiet.
    Probably because the vaccine hasn't turned out to be the magic fix and we're now stuck with some of the highest rates of infections in the world, again.
    The EU was slower to roll out the vaccine, but their general approach to the pandemic seems to have been better.

Loving how the post-Brexit Government are deliberately screwing the French over with regards to fishing licences, JUST so the Government can jump up and look like they're coming to the aid of the fishing industry that remains royally ****ed.
    Didn't they mostly do it to themselves tho? By not bothering to sort out their paperwork and just lazily assuming they can take what they want regardless.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Didn't they mostly do it to themselves tho? By not bothering to sort out their paperwork and just lazily assuming they can take what they want regardless.
    Not really no. The UK went about issuing licences to EU boats and disproportionately took it's time with France, so the French got hacked off because the majority of the permits not issued were to their fleet.

I suspect it's deliberate so to enrage them, so the UK can step up and say "hey, we are fighting for our industry against these nasty naughty Frenchmen".

Rides
    Festive bump, £12 billion of lost trade in October alone, by comparison to European economic recovery and taking into account the pandemic.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-10/...ade-in-october

What's interesting now is that even Pro-Tory Pro-Brexit papers like the Express are beginning to turn on the situation

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15...cs-ONS-figures

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Even the benefits arent actually there, were they selling duty free tobacco in Cologne Airport when I was there a couple of weeks ago?
    Were they ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Was that even a benefit lol? I've literally forgotten everything Brexit advertised as good that hasn't been demonstrably untrue.

Rides
    Oh don't worry, it'll all be fine now.

Liz Truss takes over from David Frost.

Rides
    Was that even a benefit lol? I've literally forgotten everything Brexit advertised as good that hasn't been demonstrably untrue.
    Actual duty free should have saved some money on fags and beer but you can bring considerably less back, maybe not a benefit after all.

Discovered last week it now takes up to 6 months to serve legal papers on EU companies as we left the mutual agreement to do it within 14 days when we left the rest of the benefits, last set of tyres I ordered took nearly 6 weeks to arrive too.
    All of the people I know who voted to leave (for various reasons) have not only admitted they were wrong, they apologise every time it comes up .... and its only gonna get worse.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I see less and less credible defenses of Brexit on social media, of which I am a big fan. They seem to be turning on Johnson too.

Rides
    The hits just keep on coming.

The Australia trade deal, one of the jewels in the Brexit crown and an opportunity for U.K. farming to prosper will in fact COST U.K. agriculture £94 million per year directly and a further £225 million in the manufacture of semi processed foods. Whatever those are.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...80000.html?amp

Rides
    I'm assuming that with us out of the EU we won't have to contribute to any kind of economic stimulus package for European countries?

Countries in the med will have had another terrible year and taken a right old pasting, no doubt they'll be looking to the Western countries for hand outs and such again. Italy have long been on the ropes with their finances and who knows if the Greeks ever got their books straight from the last time it all went titsup.
    Last edited by R3K1355; 22-12-2021 at 14:13.

Rides
    I should expect you're right, but since we continued to be better off in the EU while making those contributions, I think I'd rather be in that club.

Rides
    EU signs a trade deal with the US re: Steel manufacturing to end the Trump Tax.

As of 1st January 2022 the EU can export steel to the US tariff free.

The UK remains at 25% tariff.

Had the UK remained in the EU of course, it would now be enjoying tariff free access to the US.

United Cast Bar Limited has already announced it will move from the UK to Spain as a direct result of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59857275

Rides
    Years on and Tories still insist on saying things that just can't happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59927034

Northern Ireland was never up for negotiation. There is no way to make the Belfast Agreement compatible with Brexit.

Yet for 5 years they have stood there and said they don't accept it. Despite being plain as day.

It is unreal how this is allowed to happen. If I did this in my job I'd be sacked.

Rides
    Youre talking about the party lead by a man who is unable to confirm whether he was at a knees up in his own back garden without an enquiry being carried out.
    The same man who claims he didnt read Whatsapp messages that he actually sent himself, the man who wont admit how many children he has.

The NI situation is actually one of the most unbelievable parts of this, the Belfast/Good Friday agreement is only 36 pages long and makes it crystal clear that if the UK left the Single Market and Customs Union the agreement would be broken.
    Yet no-one seemed to pick up on this until it was too late, despite most of us knowing about it for over 5 years.

This government is an absolute ****ing shambles.

Rides
    Can't say any fairer than that. We live in an age where something can be impossible but politicians are not scared about saying "Well it won't be like that" even though there is no alternative at all. It's astonishing.

Rides
    Well, I finally have an answer to this question. The government has released it's White Paper titled: "The Benefits of Brexit: How the UK is taking advantage of leaving the EU".

The report is 105 pages long, you can have a browse here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-document.pdf

Here are 3 benefits I found on pages 6 and 7.

Unsurprisingly, in my limited skim reading of the first 15 or so pages it is effectively more a list of promises, like a manifesto, than a list of things that have actually gotten better in the last 2 year. "We will do X", "We are doing Y". And, far from being an expert on the rules and regs, I am convinced some of them are nothing to do with leaving the EU at all.

The great con continues.

Energy prices, up.
    National Insurance rates, increasing despite a manifesto pledge not to.
    Tax brackets, frozen, equating to a real terms tax rise.
    Inflation at over 5%.
    Diesel and Petrol at almost record prices.
    Interest rates up.
    Food prices, up, and set to increase 5% by next April.
    Council tax, up.
    A PM being investigated by the Police. The Police.

The brave new world of Brexit Britain.
    Last edited by piman2k; 07-02-2022 at 08:26.

Rides
    Really starting to see it hit in my industry (aerospace/composite recruitment) now

UK nationals that have been working as contractors in Europe for the last 10 years cant do it anymore, so they are forced to move into another industry. The companies that used them every year to bolster their production cant replace their skills so are going to the wall.
    We also used to see lots of contractors using UK Limited companies to be paid as we had the lowest tax and NI rates. This has also stopped, from my contractors alone thats probably £7m of money that was coming to the UK that wont be anymore, Christ only knows the total impact.
    Additional costs of importing and material/fuel/energy increases out of kilter with the rest of the EU are making UK businesses less competitive and everyone knows that we cant guarantee when something we send will arrive, even without the additional duties - we have stopped sending out branded clothing as half the time its returned without being delivered. My friends in construction can only watch as material costs go up 30%, 40%, labour costs are already on the rise andf even my mates at the brewery are having to charge more for beer as their materials have all gone up 30%, not to mention gas, electricity and fuel.

Does anyone even know anyone who still think this was a good idea?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Does anyone even know anyone who still think this was a good idea?
    Beyond the occasional 60 year old posting on Facebook with a Union Flag in their profile picture, I am really starting to see very few people defending Brexit. And even when they do, it's the same recycled lines of "corrupt EU", "unelected bureaucrats" etc etc.

What's interesting to me, and highlights not all but a great many Brexit voters lack of education, is that they've now turned on Boris on Facebook about illegal immigration. I've challenged at least two in the last week who have said they're angry that now we're out of the EU Boris hasn't got a handle on illegal immigration, without seeing how flawed that logic is.

Interestingly, my industry (Automotive) doesn't seem to be struggling this year. There's a myriad of jobs in my field out there and a lot of expansion currently happening. Most of it I confess I don't understand, given the unfavourable conditions the UK actually offers when it comes to access to the EU. But something must be going on behind the scenes.