Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Privatisation hasn't made any bills cheaper, they have still steadily increased but what the public hasn't seen is how much has been cut behind the scenes.... its falling apart badly and the new wave of car chargers is going to have some dire consequences... but the government and green people keep pushing regardless. ..

Speak to your grandparents, back jn the 70s people didn't worry about electric bills or food, heating or eating etc... they were "affordable". And in the MEB at least there were nearly 3 times as many people employed.

I don't think we ever should have been in a EU. We should of course have always helped if possible and struck deals with individual countries, but all of them should be independent and responsible for thier own deals and benefits. Grouping everything together goes well until it doesn't and the whole collective goes down, its easier save 1 than 10.

We have had a ridiculous good ride for a couple of decades in this country, it was always going to go wrong in a spectacular way at some point.

Most people want to take the path of least resistance, keep the status quo.... remain, keep things as is, no longer want out because its a bit hard or oh no its worse in the short term.

Hopefully like most things in life, the best results come from hard times...... all the most successful business men started out knowing what it's like have nothing, not been handed it all. The best music comes from dark places and innovation is bred from a need to improve. So after the suffering we may come out better than ever.

You might not see it, but there is people flourishing who haven't before and more will join them. But for now we might have to get used to eating local seasonal food again, not driving new bmws every 2 yrs and the big businesses will have to take less profits to pay more to the ground staff, not just the suit wearers.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    I didn't say privatisation had made it cheaper, I said it had kept us on low tariffs.

Being in the EU opened up an era of economic prosperity for the UK and dragged it out of the gutter. You talk about saving 1 rather than 10, you forget that Britain was on it's knees in the 70s, we were effectively saved. Not bailouts like Greece and what not, but opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlowe
    We have had a ridiculous good ride for a couple of decades in this country, it was always going to go wrong in a spectacular way at some point.
    WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THIS STATEMENT?!? A moment ago you didn't think we should have ever been in the EU, now you're saying we've had a ridiculously good ride. So surely, being in the EU was a good thing.

There's ZERO evidence to say it was "always going to go wrong". That is unfounded, total campaign conjecture.

Hopefully like most things in life, the best results come from hard times.....
    Show me ONE piece of Vote Leave campaigning documentation that says that. Just one. No one votes for hard times.

So after the suffering we may come out better than ever.
    Fcuk me

I suspect you did vote leave even though you haven't answered me. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at all. You're pre-programmed with rhetoric and you're contradicting yourself which is exactly what they did.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Sorry to say it but your reasoning is exactly the reason we are in the mess we are in - youre making no sense at all. You dont understand what the EU is, how we benefitted from it, youve got some kind of nost***ia for days when you werent even alive and youve totally missed the fact everything positive Leave campaigned on was false, and nearly everything remain said has proven to be true.

"The best results come from hard times" ........... what are you actually on about? Why cant we just enjoy good and prosperous times?
    "Walk away and talk to the rest of the world" ......... youre seeing our best efforts at that, its going nowhere fast other than reducing our standards to get shit deals
    "We would be in a mess in or out" ........ no mate, the EU is still working exactly as it has for the last 35 years, but this country is facing huge inflation, supply chain issues, farmers, fisherman and exporters going to the wall, shit being pumped into rivers, reduction of human rights, massive offloading of taxpayer money to Tory donors, riots in Northern Ireland - we are in a mess, the rest of Europe isnt.

And finally, if you voted to leave even though "There were no benefits sold to me..... I was absolutely positive it would be a shit show regardless of how it went." then you should be ashamed of yourself.

We are 14 pages into a thread about Brexit benefits and no-one has come up with anything yet, while Ill always support Leave voters who tell me they were wrong, anyone who still supports Brexit after seeing the damage it is doing is a ****ing idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    FFS will somebody close this thread?!!!!
    14 pages of political bollox that has no place on one of the best car Forums that I subscribe to.
    And you wonder why people don't subscribe to paid membership when this is what greets them on the 'New posts' tab?

I'm out.....

Rides
    This the the ‘General Chat’ section hooky. It’s literally here for stuff that isn’t 200SX related. No one is forcing you to read it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    FFS will somebody close this thread?!!!!
    14 pages of political bollox that has no place on one of the best car Forums that I subscribe to.
    And you wonder why people don't subscribe to paid membership when this is what greets them on the 'New posts' tab?

I'm out.....
    Never be afraid of a good debate. The world is being forced to be PC and bland enough without shutting down debates here. Once it doesn't become personal or abusive then rock on! :-)
    If it does not interest you, or annoys you, then simply don't open the particular thread. i.e. don't read it! :-)

Rides
    I stopped reading this thread about a year ago when I realised it wasn't going to be good or reasoned debating on any level.

I've come back to it today because it is still appearing every time I check for new forum posts and its over a year since the thread started. I just read page 9 to confirm that it hasn't changed from the "If you don't agree with me ..." responses to anyone that sticks their head above the parapet....which it hasn't.

So I'm walking away shaking my head same as Hooky

Rides
    I don’t mean to be funny, but so what? This is General Chat, a place specifically for users to exchange views on topics that aren’t about the 200SX. You haven’t participated in the topic for a year and now you’re here to announce you won’t be participating?

The topic has had plenty of engagement from a myriad of users. There is nothing wrong with a good debate, and it isn’t a case of just not agreeing, it’s an opportunity to educate.

I remind you that no one is forcing you to read it either. If you’re bored of seeing it pop up, generate some content of your own.
    Last edited by piman2k; 14-02-2022 at 05:47.

Rides
    Don't get me wrong, i'm all in for a reasonable debate about all things in a varied context. But this thread has descended into is a select few Moaning and protesting about things that they are not prepared to do anything about.
    If you don't like something, Change it, stop moaning about it and do something about it. If you feel so aggrieved about not being in the EU, then move there!
    Conversely, if you ARE or are planning on doing something about it then I'm all ears and I'll be the first to subscribe!

Edit: just for clarity, I voted remain, but will hold judgement for another 20years or so as to whether it was a mistake or not! (by which time i'm hopefully bulk-buying Factor 50, and my biggest problem will be deciding if to wear socks with my sandals!)
    Last edited by hooky; 15-02-2022 at 12:57.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky
    If you feel so aggrieved about not being in the EU, then move there
    Well, you were doing so well until that point.

This topic is what we can do, a classic example. The country has been lied to, the lie we are now living. And that lie, if not challenged, will keep the party running the country in power.

Topics like this exist so that people can realise they were lied to and become better informed for the next time round.

For your information, I regularly write to my local MP when these things arise.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    If you don't like something, Change it, stop moaning about it and do something about it. If you feel so aggrieved about not being in the EU, then move there!
    Conversely, if you ARE or are planning on doing something about it then I'm all ears and I'll be the first to subscribe!
    Actually, if you dont like something, dont click on the topic and read the threads, its pretty easy really.
    When we have a new Minister for Brexit Opportunities I think this is actually a pretty relevant topic too, Ive not been able to find anyone who can give me a benefit IRL so why not try here?

FWIW following Brexit we cant actually move to the EU anymore so thats not really an option; as for "doing something" Im pretty confident that at least some of what Ive been banging on about for the last 4 years has been listened to by some people and has changed their opinion.
    Short of that there is fcuk all I can do to change it but that doesnt mean I should point out where our leadership blatantly lied (and continues to lie) about things.
    If youre cool with the government lying then more power to you, but Im not.

@Jonny Wilkinson - as you invariably know better than anyone else rather than walking away can you highlight some of the benefits we are seeing from Brexit? Can you tell us how Northern Ireland was ever going to fit in with the "over ready" deal, for instance?
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Will take the silence as just a mark of non-participation.

In the meantime, the damage continues. Unrelated to COVID we are now at 40,000 culled and disposed of pigs. Total waste of life.

https://apple.news/A2QfwxLfFT1a0fTdOfOGbqQ

Rides
    Stuff like that is crazy when you think about it - we had 5 years to train more butchers, lorry drivers etc. and do something about low wage positions but HM Gov acts like its surprised when yet another industry gets shafted because of Brexit.
    Will be intersting to see the reaction if it kicks off properly in Ukraine, as I remember it the EU army was one of the bad things we were going to avoid by leaving, looks like we will be all in with this regardless though.

Rides
    British exceptionalism though isn't it. "They won't leave, we're the best country in the world".

And off they went. In their thousands.

Rides
    Behold, the formal death of the EU CE mark validity and the proper introduction of the UKCA mark. Yet another piece of post Brexit red tape that will force manufacturers to certify goods to another standard at their cost.

https://apple.news/A4j3M-Z74TBeKlIBTJY8M2w

Rides
    I think this says it all TBH:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2021304.html

Had to check it wasnt April 1st, unfortunately not.

Rides
    Funk me sideways LOL. I thought it was just a joke when it came up last year, but we're now going to spend tax payer money on an actual study LOL. On what? It's already imperial and metric on the back of most things in the supermarket anyway.

This is what happens when the voting system doesn't work and is not fit for purpose. This overwhelming majority is going to be the end of us.

Edit, so in the last 6 months we can declare some interesting observations:

• Fast tracking HGV driver training by removing some of the basic skills they need to be tested for
    • The removal of the requirement for unskilled generic drivers to have to have tests to pull large trailers and caravans
    • A tax payer funded study to include imperial units on products that mostly already have it
    • the reintroduction of crown signs on pint glasses even though it always could be there

Last edited by piman2k; 23-02-2022 at 14:14.

Rides
    Don't forget blue passports. That's a really important one.

Rides
    Well well well, not strictly Brexit related, but certainly a good indicator of the moral compass of the current government.

JRM's investment firm offloaded it's entire holdings in the Russian Sberbank, a bank which has just recently gone under UK sanction.

https://twitter.com/rock_fischer/sta...58065503268873

JRM will have been present at all the National security briefings so will have been privy to a tonne of information. And this year received a £600,000 dividend from Somerset Capital.

Interesting!

Rides
    Heres another one for you - if we were EU members we would have to welcome Ukrainian refugees into the country the same way they would if it was the other way round.

Thanks to Brexit we can keep them all out, while the government can make up all sorts of shit as to what they are doing to help - how good is that?!