Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Another personal experience that would be a positive to keep the European business out was when Eon took over the MEB and absolutely assest stripped the lot selling every piece of land and equipment they could to send the profits back to ze germans.

Admittedly our current American owners PPL have been no better, they moved in 8yrs ago, gave us a token gesture new van and few tools, but it has been like pissing your pants in the snow, felt good for a minute- but ended up much worse in the long term as they haven't invested a penny more than they had to after the initial 3 month investment and have instead just concentrated on harvesting British bill payers money to send straight back to the USofA investors.

Anything that discourages foreign ownership of UK business is a positive in my opinion, any management team will certainly be currupt, but at least try to keep the ill gotten cash in these Isles

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Another personal experience that would be a positive to keep the European business out was when Eon took over the MEB and absolutely assest stripped the lot selling every piece of land and equipment they could to send the profits back to ze germans.

Admittedly our current American owners PPL have been no better, they moved in 8yrs ago, gave us a token gesture new van and few tools, but it has been like pissing your pants in the snow, felt good for a minute- but ended up much worse in the long term as they haven't invested a penny more than they had to after the initial 3 month investment and have instead just concentrated on harvesting British bill payers money to send straight back to the USofA investors.

Anything that discourages foreign ownership of UK business is a positive in my opinion, any management team will certainly be currupt, but at least try to keep the ill gotten cash in these Isles

While I appreciate the point you're making, that's got absolutely nothing to do with the EU. They still have the ability to acquire UK businesses, as you've highlighted with your US owners point.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I don't think I'd describe the divide as similar to religion, but I do completely see the validity of the analogy.

What's interesting to me right now is that within a fortnight of the event, the only countries that appear to be suffering are the countries that didn't vote for it to happen in the first place. Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Plus the fishing industry that is the centre of the Brexit universe, is being crushed at an exponential rate as we speak. Johnson took part in some form of select committee earlier this week that I caught the highlights of where he actually said we would be compensating fishermen who are losing out. (Albeit he is now U-Turning on that after literally a day - link to article).

I didn't see that in the Brexit campaign documentation. The need to compensate the industry for Brexit despite it being the industry that would benefit the most from Brexit.

Car prices are going up. Supermarkets are warning that food prices are about to go up. Small businesses around the world are issuing statements saying they won't be selling to the UK anymore because of the VAT rules. Small busines here are losing customers because of the duties their products are now facing. The City of London has been told that it's not going to get free access to it's most important market.

It is what it is, but I think most remain voters so far can at least take a little comfort in knowing that they were right.
    Admittedly the 4 years of negitiations could only have been handled in a worse way if the RAF had bombed Brussels.

We were part of the EEC/EC/EU for just under 17500 days, we have been apart from it for 15 days. Saying that Remainers were right is like calling the result of a football match after 5 seconds or the Falklands taskforce calling a victory after sailing past The Isle of Wight.

Who knows what the future will bring. Can only hope less consumerism as that is killing the planet. Unfortunatly the EU only understands continued growth. TINA politics at it's worst. Hopefully this Kondratiev wave is coming to an end and we can start caring about humans, though we'd have to elect some first. Hopefully Covid will bring about a refocusing on the welfare state, just as the end of the Second World war did. Oh shit, a brexiteer mentioning the war. May be we can start repairing goods rather than just sticking them in landfill or having them create their own garbage island in the Pacific.

Car prices are fake as no one actually pays them. Now manufacturers are setting up their own financial services, will they become another cartel controlling the market between them. Obviously the car industry exists to make money, but the current excesses are unsustainable.

Do food prices have to go up, or is that disaster capitalists using Brexit/Covid? Will we ever know where the line that can separate these?

Just to add, I hope Scotland/ Wales/ Ireland can have whatever Independance Referendums or deals that they want. Great Britain means nothing.
    Last edited by cleanhands; Today at 13:42. Reason: Felt like I made a personal attack

Rides
    Just to clarify, I think that our Government has used the EU to absolve itself of many responsibilities for years. I want to put the onus back on them. When they run the country with some care for their citizens then maybe we can go back in as a civilised country. I certainly don't mean Britons first, I mean all who are here. My biggest hope is that "The City" fcuks off and we have to find another way of doing things that helps us all.

Yeah, I know, I'm just a stupid dreamer.

Rides
    Well, thatís just about the stupidest thing Iíve seen you write. Itís not just an unpopular opinion, itís economic suicide for the U.K.

Car industry keeps as best as makes no difference a million people in highly paid jobs. Which goes straight back into the economy.

Rides
    Other than manufacturing, which the workforce could be just as employed making trains, buses and maintenance would be required just as much as cars.....

As for show rooms etc, the staffing levels seem pretty sparse round here, so if the country did move towards actually caring about the environment and getting some cars off the road then there would be just as many roles for them in the new industry.

I can't see they way it is going will be pleasant for anyone in the future, we seem to care more about keeping German manufacturers in profit than our pavements safe to walk on, or the environment we pretend to save with electric cars..... which will cause a lot more issues than most people realise with the nations electricity network, and will make towns a misery for decades if they have to bring it all upto scratch.

A japan style model is what the world really needs where public transport works for everyone to get where they need to, so cars are a luxury item or bought for fun reasons, not because the only job you can get is an out of town amazon warehouse with no transport links, so you end up spending 20%+ of your wage to travel to the place that pays you....

I have had this conversation a few times down the local and at least 30% of the people I've spoken to would love to get rid of the car as they just see it as an expense no pleasure any more. Especially in the new age of speed bumps, average cameras and lack of maintaining pot holes.

Of course there would still be a huge market for vans and commercial vehicles, and without the masses sitting in traffic for hours in the morning/ afternoon would be a real economic boost in time and costs for fuel and staff in the goods transport industry

Last edited by DLowe; Today at 20:01.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Well, that’s just about the stupidest thing I’ve seen you write. It’s not just an unpopular opinion, it’s economic suicide for the U.K.

Car industry keeps as best as makes no difference a million people in highly paid jobs. Which goes straight back into the economy.
    So much for no personal attacks.

We committed economic suicide when we deregulated the banks.