Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    I think the industry will die off, J.I.T. manufacturing although does have cost saving, is also way too dependent on everything running smoothly, and as this pandemic and brecit has shown, sometimes it makes sense to buy in stock and hold it...

I'm just floating ideas of how brexit *may* benefit the UK.... I have no doubt that it won't benefit anyone due to the way the country is run and the greed of people at the top.

There is non stop negativity regarding it, and negative thoughts breed negative results.

Once this pandemic is over and the French get thier yellow vests back out, and Italy get back to protesting the whole thing could fall apart and then we will be happy we got out before it collapsed.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Any manufacturing method would have struggled with a pandemic. Just in time has heaps of advantages over stocking which again, makes things cheaper.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It wasn’t for you buddy, it was for DLowe’s ridiculous comment. Let’s strip a million strong industry of highly paid workers. Brilliant.

They can ‘just go make other stuff’. Brilliant.
    Doesn't matter who it was aimed at, it was a personal attack.

I don't understand why you would choose to continually start Brexit-based threads on a car forum when they always descend into personal attacks when someone says something you disagree with.

I'm surprised there aren't Brexit-based forums where you can better vent your spleen.

When I first saw the thread, I almost replied with some positives but I figured it would just turn out the same as the last thread.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Some fair comments. Can we keep it civil and understand we all have differing views.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Doesn't matter who it was aimed at, it was a personal attack.

I don't understand why you would choose to continually start Brexit-based threads on a car forum when they always descend into personal attacks when someone says something you disagree with.

I'm surprised there aren't Brexit-based forums where you can better vent your spleen.

When I first saw the thread, I almost replied with some positives but I figured it would just turn out the same as the last thread.
    Saying someone said something stupid isn’t attacking them.

I started it to poke fun at it, but Jon aka cleanhands presented some genuine industry benefits of it and we got chatting. Which is refreshing.

If you don’t like General Chat Jonny, no one is forcing you to read it.

Rides
    Just to add someone said car showroom staff are sparse. Not round my neck of the woods. Apparently small garages are dying off. Again not round here. Back alley garages do better than people think. They get used by the poor and the rich. Some rich people get their cars serviced by independents because its obviously cheaper and they don't like spending money lol. Also if you think main dealer mechanics don't get benefits for working harder/more hours you're mistaken.

Rides
    Second hand car market is booming right now, smaller garages and those dealing more with used cars are very busy.

Main dealers and those geared towards new car sales are much less busy, largest drop in new car sales in decades IIRC?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Main dealers and those geared towards new car sales are much less busy, largest drop in new car sales in decades IIRC?
    I would suspect because, at fecking last, everyone has realised what a rabbit hole PCP is - since they're all stuck paying £300 a month for a car they've barely been able to drive during a pandemic. Would chance it's not much to do with Brexit.

New motorcycle sales held up exceptionally well, down only ~5% on 2019 which is pretty much in line with trend.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Not really sure where the morals and ethics of the motor industry, or the lack of ability of the buyer to appreciate they cant afford what they are about to purchase has to do with the EU but there you go.

There are long term benefits but very few, if any short term changes that will benefit the man in the street IMO, but then again I agree with the environmental and human rights legislation that was brought in by the EU.
    Short term, I can see domestic market sales increasing for a lot of companies and there are other potential benefits if the current government werent the most incompetent liars in living history ........... sorry, to rephrase that I dont have a lot of confidence that Johnson and Co will actually be able to make the most of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I would suspect because, at fecking last, everyone has realised what a rabbit hole PCP is - since they're all stuck paying £300 a month for a car they've barely been able to drive during a pandemic. Would chance it's not much to do with Brexit.

New motorcycle sales held up exceptionally well, down only ~5% on 2019 which is pretty much in line with trend.
    Yea, that and not wanting to get into a big finance agreement when they're not sure if they will still be employed next month as well.

Don't forget the ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ need to have the latest model and/or numberplate sat on their driveway just to one-up their neighbours.

Rides
    Very sad times, this article says the SMMT think most of the damage happened in the first lockdown which was of course the big one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55551315

But EV's seem immune! Have risen and because of the artificial shrinkage of the ICE market this year they might sell more EVs than diesel cars in 2021!

Rides
    Enquired about some wheels today at JDM Distro, been staring at them for weeks.

Already in Ireland, all VAT and duties paid from the Japan to Ireland trip. Close to pushing the button only for the guy to tell me they're now also subject to UK VAT at 20%.

Makes them 470 Euros more expensive than before. For nothing.

First world problem I know, but man, what a let down.

Rides
    Stupid question but are JDM Distro based in Ireland?

They might have sales problems if their stuff is now subject to VAT ontop.

Rides
    Yep, they're in the RoI. So I should think everything they have in stock has already had EU VAT paid on, which we were a part of. But now we are subject to UK VAT.

I assume they will try and find a way around this, but they don't deliver direct from Japan, they go by container normally.

Edit - literally just had an email saying they are looking to set up a new depot and shipping point in Northern Ireland to get product that's destined for the UK in with. Sounds very sensible, and expensive.
    Last edited by piman2k; 19-01-2021 at 13:22.

Rides
    I'm confused, surely they had to add ROI VAT to your invoice before Brexit (+23%)? Now they can sell you them at NET of ROI VAT (-23%) and you have to pay UK VAT @ 20% on the invoice, making them cheaper than before?

3rd Overall 2016 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    7th Overall 2013 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    8th Overall 2012 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    9th Overall 2011 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    2nd Overall 2010 Prostreet drag series Shakespear County Raceway
    4th Overall in street class 2010 HKS drag series Santa Pod
    2nd Place TOTB IX RWD Drag Shoutout

Best 1/4 Mile ... 10.96 @ 132mph Santa Pod October 2nd 2010

Rides
    I’m not absolutely certain what’s happened but the website prices are VAT inclusive.

Which I guess means they themselves paid VAT on them when they imported them to get them into stock.

But because we’ve left, it’s not their decision to add U.K. VAT but that of the U.K. tax office.

Unless they have a way to claim their RoI VAT back?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 800bhp View Post
    I'm confused, surely they had to add ROI VAT to your invoice before Brexit (+23%)? Now they can sell you them at NET of ROI VAT (-23%) and you have to pay UK VAT @ 20% on the invoice, making them cheaper than before?
    That's exactly how it should happen. Have a look here:
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/f...-b-muster.html

Stick that in your basket and go to checkout - first thing it asks you is the country you want it shipping to. Change that to UK and it drops to the pre-tax price shown on the front screen. It would then be taxed when it hits the UK.

Rides
    So maybe this is a flaw in Distro's understanding, or maybe of course it's just me

Rides
    Well if you fancy buying me the Steiny to check your understanding feel free

Rides
    Baaaa haaa haaa ha ha, I'll get right on that