Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Is brexit not like.putting solar panels on your house....

You don't expect an instant benefit as you have had to pay a cost up front..... but over time they start to have a meaningful effect and eventually pay for themselves and then really have a positive effect on your bills.

So you can't really quantify any benefits or issues in a meaningful way the month after it has happened

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Fine, that's a perfectly OK stance for the purpose of this conversation.

But we've managed to eradicate billions off our GDP in that month. So it's worth noting.

So what do you predict might be coming then? I'm glad we're back onto a topic.

Rides
    As above, I've been involved in a lot of factory recommissioning and hopefully it's a trend to continue. There's going to be a lot of new jobs if they carry on.

From past experience these type of projects are around 2yrs in the planning, so the pandemic probably has had a serious impact to slow the process, but they were in the process due to our impending exit.

Rides
    I’m sorry guys. Just been to another funeral. Just makes you wonder sometimes

I’m sorry Alex for what I said last year

Ryan it’s good to have a debate from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Pi, youre making some good arguments but you have to accept that the vaccines coming here first and in the numbers they are is due to us leaving the EU, it wouldnt have happened if we hadnt as we wouldnt have negotiated outside of the EU otherwise - Id imagine there would be a sanction for trying to do so.

Oh look at that, a link: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...-vaccine-deals

This is the problem with the whole argument, each side are so polarised they cant accept when the other have a valid point and it stops being a debate. Getting tied up in the minutiae - "but legally speaking its possible" - doesnt help anyone when its not reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Is brexit not like.putting solar panels on your house....

You don't expect an instant benefit as you have had to pay a cost up front..... but over time they start to have a meaningful effect and eventually pay for themselves and then really have a positive effect on your bills.

So you can't really quantify any benefits or issues in a meaningful way the month after it has happened

It's also a perfectly lazy excuse to ignore any issues and deflect any blame.

"You won't see any benefit for XYZ years, so your criticism is invalid"

How long do we have to wait to reap the benefits, and who will be left hanging around to blame if things aren't as amazing as we've been promised??

Rides
    Alex, if you go back to the post I didn’t at all say that Brexit didn’t influence our vaccine rollout. All I said was that the option we exercised was, at the time, available to everyone, which it was.

I appreciate I’m super anti Brexit but that wasn’t an opinion, it was an out and out demonstrable fact. I’m afraid I can’t move on that because it’s not an opinion. But I do understand how it emboldened our Government.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    It's also a perfectly lazy excuse to ignore any issues and deflect any blame.

"You won't see any benefit for XYZ years, so your criticism is invalid"

How long do we have to wait to reap the benefits, and who will be left hanging around to blame if things aren't as amazing as we've been promised??
    And thats a brilliant point that we are already seeing manifest. The campaign to get us out said nothing about this level of pain which is interesting. Maybe we have to wait 40 years, who knows.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Pi, youre making some good arguments but you have to accept that the vaccines coming here first and in the numbers they are is due to us leaving the EU, it wouldnt have happened if we hadnt as we wouldnt have negotiated outside of the EU otherwise - Id imagine there would be a sanction for trying to do so.

Oh look at that, a link: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...-vaccine-deals

This is the problem with the whole argument, each side are so polarised they cant accept when the other have a valid point and it stops being a debate. Getting tied up in the minutiae - "but legally speaking its possible" - doesnt help anyone when its not reality.
    Doc. Hancock et al claim “Britain got the vaccine first due to Brexit” it’s not true. We would have had the vaccine anyway

I was a remainer. Now I’m on the fence

How are you ?BTW

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Alex, if you go back to the post I didn’t at all say that Brexit didn’t influence our vaccine rollout. All I said was that the option we exercised was, at the time, available to everyone, which it was.
    I posted a link, Im sure I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    You did mate, but that report and position of the EU came after our rollout. Until that point it was open season.

Don't know how to better word it.

Regardless, good old Dom has solved the topic for us yesterday! It's almost like he's being told to troll us

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1802158.html

Gotta wait 10 years. Not sure there are too many small businesses and traders currently affected that'll make it 10 months, but you know, good old Dom. I think the next buzz phrase appears to be "rebalancing the economy". Which is little comfort to viable, profit making businesses that have had their revenue streams switched off.

I think the most infuriating part is that there are basically no upsides and he knows it. Brexit was won on hard line border and immigration issues, and the economy wasn't considered by the majority of voters. So he's just towing the line because, like Johnson, he's career over country.

In 10 years he will be miles away from politics reaping the rewards of selling his soul to Johnson.
    Last edited by piman2k; 15-02-2021 at 10:59.

Rides
    And thats a brilliant point that we are already seeing manifest. The campaign to get us out said nothing about this level of pain which is interesting. Maybe we have to wait 40 years, who knows.
    becomes a self-answering question in the end.

If things aren't better in 40 years, then wait 40 more as you clearly didn't wait long enough.

Rides
    Brexit was won on hard line border and immigration issues, and the economy wasn't considered by the majority of voters
    you've literally hit the nail on the head as to why you're not seeing massive amounts of ructions about Brexit not already being the land of milk and honey.

(because if you weren't voting with the economy in mind and with a points based immigration system, you're effectively in the land of milk and honey you wanted)
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Well I bet with the year we've had the immigration numbers will be next to ****-all.

Rides
    I reckon I'd agree with that, but I also think it'll be next to impossible to know because of the pandemic. I saw an article saying there were 795k fewer foreign born workers in the UK at the moment, and I'm sure some of them left because of Brexit but there will be plenty who left to either be home with their families, or maybe lost their jobs.

Rides

Brexit Benefits

I know this is a Brexit thread and not a Covid thread but.

What the hell is going on with the vaccine rollout in Europe. Vaccine centres in Brussels are empty. France have said they won’t use the AstraZeneca vaccine because there isn’t enough evidence (but honestly they are really saying that because it is British) talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. And now EU countries are going against the EU and approving it themselves and now the EU are complaining because AstraZeneca cannot fulfill the orders yet, but let’s face it the EU were late to the party.

The vaccine is safe. I’ve had my first dose this week and have had no side effects apart from feeling morally superior to the French. I had the Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine. God knows what propaganda is going on there but even the French people are saying “I won’t have Ziss vaccine if it is ze Oxford one!”

Last edited by Asht_200; 25-02-2021 at 23:46.

Rides
    So one Brexit benefit. AstraZeneca have pledged to ensure the U.K. order is fulfilled before The EU. Simply because we ordered it first

Could have been worse for the EU. The US could have envoked the defence procurement act and ensured every Pfizer vaccine manufactured in Brussels went to the US

Rides
    Would appear the CoE has accepted the OBR forecast of a 4% reduction in GDP post Brexit, independent of C19.

Genuinely amazed they're not trying to cover it up.

https://news.sky.com/story/budget-20...-term-12234830

Rides
    More important news at the moment . Meghan has been bullied

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    More important news at the moment . Meghan has been bullied

Who's Meghan?