Thread: Wanna make sure my research is correct for turning up the power! Advise pls !!!

Rides

Smile Wanna make sure my research is correct for turning up the power! Advise pls !!!

First fun car, first car I’ve worked on and limited knowledge

Hi all I’ve got a 180sx black top sr used more for racing not really drifting which I’ve been gradually adding too over the last year and a bit. I’ve done a lot of reading through the forums and online and just wanna make sure I’m right in what I’ve read.

I’m looking too up the power too around the 320bhp mark with some room too turn it up In the future(probably no more than 400bhp and obviously with more upgrades). I want too do it right and safely whilst trying too keep it as sensibly priced as possible.
    Currently on the car;
    Mishimoto fmic
    Apexi air intake
    Gready boost controller
    3” hks decat exhaust
    Walbro fuel pump
    Gk tech engine fan
    Some handling mods and wheels
    Exdecy clutch

And if I’m correct adding ;
    Spark plugs
    Injectors
    I’m going stand alone ecu
    Turbo
    Remap
    Some gauges
    Will achieve that power goal ? If so what are you running ? Some say manifolds others don’t ? obviously it would help but is it necessary for what I want ?
    Turbo wise I’ve been looking at the gt2871r because apparently is a straight swap (I know that’s not normally the case ) bit worried it might be a bit too big tho ?want a long power band coming in early?
    Thank you soo much for reading and helping me you guys are absolute legends !

Rides
    2871r is a straight swap just may have to rotate the core slightly. Pm jay1017 he has a hybrid 2871r for sale freshly built.

If going standalone most standalone ecus have the capability to control boost so no need for the greddy.

Gauges id look at water temp, oil pressure and boost as a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Welcome back to the forum. Reckon you've got the supporting mods nailed already.

GT2871r with a 0.86 housing might tip you over 400 if you're lucky, but it'll be near enough. There are newer turbines out there that cost a little more but will give you even better spool. You might want to look at the GTX2876 or similar.

If you want to keep the cost down, use side feed injectors that'll fit in the standard fuel rail, Nismo 740 or the like. And you don't have to go standalone, you can use a Nistune or similar.

Anywhere near 400 in an S body is hilarious. More is always crazy but at 400 you're pushing the limits of the gearbox. So in my humble opinion it's better to steer clear of the peak number in favour of reliability.

Hope this helps.

Rides
    As pi says, a more modern turbo would give better results all round, like the GTX2867R Gen2

Nistune is a good shout. Go with R35 AFM and R35 injectors. They're 570cc so would easily make your 320hp goal. Just need a suitable fuel rail (like this - http://yashiofactory.co.jp/?page_id=374 I'm sure there are other options).

Other than that I'd probably grab a new fuel pressure regulator to replace the standard 20 year old one and definitely hard-wire the fuel pump if you haven't already.

Rides
    And a new coil setup, get rid of the old ignitor.

Rides
    Apologies, I misread as you wanting 400 not 320.

Rides
    Brilliant absolutely spot on everyone. I'm gunna look into what youv all said and potentially return with a few more questions =) thank you so much!

Rides
    Question time
    So iv been looking at turbos the gtx2867r gen 2 . 63 is looking good tho external waste gate is very recommended which is no prob. Question is the cabability is 550 bhp is that not gunna be a bit too much for what I need? Does anyone have any idea when boost would kick in??
    And with regards too the coil set up is that switching up for aftermarket or swapping out for new oem? Couple places said oem was better?
    Final question by get rid of the old ignitor do you mean replace it?
    Thanks guys! Sorry if these are stupid questions

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by krispyd1 View Post
    Question time
    So iv been looking at turbos the gtx2867r gen 2 . 63 is looking good tho external waste gate is very recommended which is no prob. Question is the cabability is 550 bhp is that not gunna be a bit too much for what I need? Does anyone have any idea when boost would kick in??
    And with regards too the coil set up is that switching up for aftermarket or swapping out for new oem? Couple places said oem was better?
    Final question by get rid of the old ignitor do you mean replace it?
    Thanks guys! Sorry if these are stupid questions
    I would say the GTX2860r Gen 2 would be more suitable for a target of 320hp (and still a little tinkering room left).
    A new set of OEM coils is only good for a stock boost engine, There are a few people offering VAG kits that totally delete the ignitor. Audi R8 coils are supposed to be pretty good, although i think most of them sit slightly higher in the head so you'll have to ditch or modify the COP cover.

Rides
    OK cool cool iv found a vag kit https://www.50ignite.com/nissan-silvia-s13-s14-180sx says it's got everything you need in it for the r8 coils! Just thought I'd chuck it in for anyone else looking in the future. And final question I promise �� what order would you do this in? Get all of the bits in turbo injectors sparks ect then get ecu installed and tune or ecu first? I was gunna put it all in and then take it straight too ecu +tune but wondering if the car will run and if so if its safe? Thank you thank you thank you

Rides
    You can't install the injectors or AFM without fitting the ECU and having it mapped. Best bet is to fit it all together and have it mapped.

You can fit the VAG coil conversion prior tho, should work find on the stock ECU. Are the 1.8T coils a better fit than the R8 coils?

Rides
    GTX2860R Gen2 is a good shout.

Depending what ECU you go for you may be able to get it pre-configured with a base map for your injector/afm choice, then you could fit everything yourself before taking it for mapping.