Thread: Fan Shroud

Rides

Fan Shroud

Fitted my Koyo radiator today but as its double the size of the OEM radiator the fan shroud doesn't fit back on. Has anyone had any issues running without the fan shroud?

I've still got the viscous fan and the OEM radiator fan fitted along with a front splitter that goes back as far as the oil pan so its pretty enclosed still, am I likely to suffer any overheating issues?

Or am I better off going with a GKTech viscous fan upgrade or something like the twin mishimoto electric fan setup?

Failing that, I could hack up the fan shroud to make it fit but I cant see that being any more effective than going without?

Rides
    Ooph, great topic. Polarises people too.

I ran electric fans and no shroud on my last car which did a lot of track work and never had any issues. But the consensus seems to be that the shroud and the viscous are the best all rounder for these cars. The GKTech fan pulls more air but really relies on the shroud being place, as does the factory viscous.

I would modify the factor shroud personally and stick with the viscous. But if you do lose the shroud, they’re sought after for the reasons above.

Rides
    Take off the viscous fan, then fit the shroud. Then ease the fan down between the shroud that engine. With a bit of fiddling, mount the fan and do up 2x bolts. Turn the engine over and you should eventually get the non-bolted studs at the top. Then with a bit of fiddling put on those nuts and tighten up.
    Or alternatively, fit the shroud with the viscous fan loose in it. Then do the above with the nuts. I can't remember which way I did it. It is tight but it will fit.

Rides
    If you are using it on the road you will have no problem, alloy rad drops temps massively anyways compared to the stock rad. I ran my drift car like you have it now for a couple years on the road no problems whatsoever, it obviously would be more efficient with a shroud but my rad is moved back about 2 inches to fit my high mounted intercooler. Recently took the viscous off completely, fitted a thermostat switch in the radiator to the factory A/C fan, I no longer have the A/C fitted though and it keeps the temps down fine, that's being drifted hard for multiple runs as well. Got a build thread if you want to look.

To summarise, ideal world re-fit/cut down original shroud to fit. You will however be able to drive around perfectly fine as is without the shroud.

Rides
    I have a koyo rad and managed to get the stock fan and shrowd on, so I'm not quite sure why it won't fit on yours. Can take pictures if it would help.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Think you can get the koyo rad in different thicknesses.
    Test fitting mine was a pain as I had to cut a hole in the corner for japspeed high mount intercooler pipe work to fit (BOV pipe and other one under side? Idle throttle control?) and to fit the fan I have to lower it down inside the shroud then bolt it up for it to go on.

I also added some foam tape around my shroud as there was a gap all around of 1-2cm from the radiator? Was there originally some rubber trim or something I missed?

Sorry for jumping the thread but one last question, the AC fan electrical connector does it clip into a bracket on the side of the shroud and have a small jumper cable to connect to the loom on the passenger harness (I think its attached to the MAF connector, but cant be sure as ive rewired the car) or does the AC fan electrical connection run under the shroud to the passenger loom.

Rides
    Think I’ve sorted it now the lower part of the fan shroud unclips and that got it into place. Just gotta try and get the radiator fan and viscous fan back in to but I reckon that’s easier done from underneath

Rides
    It should fit. I’ve got the Koyo N-flow which I think is there biggest / best and it fits in fine

Also as you can see here, where would you put your tools if you removed it??

Rides

Mines the R-Core, its a 53mm version. Its tight but I think I can get it back in. TBH, i was being mostly lazy in not wanting to remove the viscous fan but I need somewhere to fit my GKTech catch can so need to fit the shroud back on

Rides

Fan Shroud

It’ll go, I’ve got the Koyo 53mm, standard cowling and the GK Tech fan all fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Drifter; 31-01-2021 at 14:08.

Rides
    Koyo N-flow 53mm thick. Fits stock fan shroud no problem. GK tech fan also