Thread: New Owner (Sunday Collection......) What to do!?

Rides

New Owner (Sunday Collection......) What to do!?

So with these 200sx's I am not clued up as I've come from the VAG scene. However upon collection, what are some of the essential things to check mechanically or see to first?

It's a 99 reg vehicle and a manual on circa 90k. I didn't know if there is any high up jobs I should consider first, before worrying about nice wheels etc

Rides
    Welcome aboard chief. It’s just a car at the end of the day. Do a good service. Check the fluids. Have a look at the rust issues and check the brakes. Then enjoy!

Rides
    Welcome! Check the tyres, these are tail happy with bad rubber

Rides
    Is it standard or any modifications? In the wet, and even more so in the damp - "Respect" that throttle peddle on corners and roundabouts! ;-)
    Last edited by markcro; 26-12-2020 at 22:29.

Rides
    So the vehicle appears to be a completely unmolested version. As far as rust goes, apparently it's very minimal on the wing and arch.

It's definitely going to be a fun experience! I've wanted one for ages now, but have been hesitant to sell my previous vehicle!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Where in Devon are you based? Got any pics of the car?

As above, give it a good service and check safety parts such as brakes etc. Check underneath, in the wheel arches and the strut tops for rust, repair if needed and get it protected if it’s good.

Then start the mods if that’s your plan
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If it's unmolested the first thing I'd do is check whether the fuel pump has been replaced. The stock item wasn't very good to start with and 20 years won't have done it any favours.

Enjoy

Rides
    Ok that's great to know about checking the fuel pump. If there's no sign of it being changed i may end up just doing it anyway.

As for where In Devon I am, I'm based near Exeter. The photos I have aren't overly great so far, so when I have it I'll take some better ones. I will then probably start up in the members rides section.

Rides
    Welcome

Check for rust, get decent tyres.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzle View Post
    Ok that's great to know about checking the fuel pump. If there's no sign of it being changed i may end up just doing it anyway.

As for where In Devon I am, I'm based near Exeter. The photos I have aren't overly great so far, so when I have it I'll take some better ones. I will then probably start up in the members rides section.
    Think there are a few guys further south near newton Abbott, May see you at some shows if they ever start up again.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    That's definitely my intention. I want the car loved and appreciated so will be used and shown

Rides
    So far the car hasn't done much but have been trying to get to the bottom of why the car decides to hesitate over 5000rpm. Ive changed the fuel filter and spark plugs, oil too. The air filter is an open LM Blitz and the fuel pump has been upgraded to a walbro 255. My next route I think is going to have to be the coil packs as I'm running out of ideas now hahaha.

Rides
    Just get a VAG coil pack conversion. Even if it doesn't cure your problem it's a very worth while upgrade as the coil packs will most likely be very old. I went for the 1.8t coils as they sit lower but can handle 200hp per cylinder no problem.
    Another thing to do it get everything smoke tested. It will almost definitely show up leaks to be fixed!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    What plugs did you fit? If it still has the standard intercooler check that for cracks. Coilpack issues normally show as soon as you hit boost at around 3kish rpm in my experience.

Rides
    It’s it’s got a standard exhaust it could the cats that are making it feel odd at higher revs

Rides
    Hesitation could be an air leak.