Thread: Tomei USA vs Tomei Japan - Didn't know

Rides

Tomei USA vs Tomei Japan - Didn't know

So I'm hoping I'm not as out of touch as I feel on this. In October, I bought a set of "Tomei" 258 degree poncams, marketed as having all the peak of the 260 and all of the torque of the 256. They arrived in Tomei USA packaging, looking very legit.

Wel last night I stumbled upon a this thread here. Turns out that Tomei JP took Tomei USA to court because, from what I can gather, Tomei USA started sourcing parts from their own manufacturing source and not telling Tomei JP. So big an issue was it for Tomei JP that they completely disintegrated Tomei USA from the business and issued this statement:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwInrMCFgVB/?hl=en

I can't verify who actually makes Tomei USA parts, but it sure as heck isn't Tomei JP. And at no point did the Tomei USA website make clear they were a separate entity. I am feeling pretty cheated tbh.

Did I miss the boat or was this not common knowledge?

Rides
    News to me, can't even understand how Tomei USA is allowed to keep on trading, Japanese brands do seem particularly bad at protecting their IP tho.

If the cams perform as you want, does it matter who made them?

Rides
    I have been mulling that very point over since I found out. In short, yeah it does.

They might be brill and legit, I’ve already traced them to being the same as Real Speed Engineering parts so I’m trying to work out who they are.

But I bought them as Tomei. Tomei USA has deliberately made them difficult to distinguish without prior knowledge, and has even gone to the lengths to include the ‘previous part number’ on my box despite it not being previous at all, it’s a completely different cam (and that previous part number is still in production). Check it out:

I thought I was getting an in house manufactured part with a shit tonne of quality history and a proud reputation of manufacture. As it happens I have no idea what I have, no traceability, no reference to where they’re made. And that’s not good enough for me. Beyond that, it’s disingenuous and I don’t support that kind of disingenuous practice.

Rides
    Send them back and get some Kelfords

Rides
    id heard about the US vs Jap issues a few years ago, doesn't help you though..

hope you get it sorted

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Send them back and get some Kelfords
    This^
    Was about to post the same.

Rides
    They’re going back for sure, but I’m just going to get the actual Tomei 256 Pons.

Is there a perk of the drop in Kelfords being 254?

Rides
    Have sent you a PM Ryan.