Thread: Tilting\rolling a mostly stripped s14 to the side without body roller jig?

Rides

Tilting\rolling a mostly stripped s14 to the side without body roller jig?

Hey.
    i`ve seen some pictures and yt videos people roll the chassis without a body roller jig to the side for easier access to the under body, but wonder how they do that without damaging the rear side fenders or windows etc.Anyone done it before?
    are there some stronger spots on the side to support the whole stripped car? i can put some old tires or something soft under to support ? any suggestions? are there some cheaper equipment that can be used to support? i do not have much space(4m(W)x6(L)mx2.5m(H) or a body roller available and they are very expensive.
    I am thinking i need to remove the rear\front sub frame,the engine,transmission,doors,boot and front fenders.but i like to keep the windows and the dash.
    Last edited by mikkime; 12-12-2020 at 23:38.

Rides
    You can get a rollover jig for ~£300 on ebay that are more than capable.

I had one in my single garage smaller than the dimensions you note above.

Rides
    okay,thanks the jigs on ebay is not too expensive but after googling some more i think the best would be to make a rollover jig in wood,it is much cheaper and can be thrown in the garbage after use, instead of buying\welding a metal jig that would just be in the way in the garage when not used.anyone made one out of wood?
    or maybe i can lift the car up far enough with stands so i can sit under?anyone have any creative ideas?

Rides
    Bear in mind that wood won't conduct electricity like a metal jig will, it won't have the same strength for size and you won't be able to weld it.

It depends what your woodworking skills are like.

If you can't weld for toffee then you shouldn't be looking at the bottom of a 200

Rides
    I have just restored an s13 on a metal rollover jig, and from that experience I would definitely not rely on a jig made from timber and I'm a carpenter by trade.

Weigh up the cost of buying the timber and fixings then time and you'd honestly be better off buying one then sell it on afterwards

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    okey,thanks.you probably right..Welding a rig will be more cost effective then i think..Even though the ebay ones is really cheap i will think it is difficult or expensive to ship to Norway.The cheapest rig i found in my county is about 1100gbp,maybe i find something used though.. btw here is the rollover wood jig i thinking of:

here is one made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YIZdwXgSao
    Last edited by mikkime; 14-12-2020 at 15:05.

Rides
    the irish lads seem to just get a few men and roll them onto their sides, then stand a wheel and tyre up so that it sits where the door windows would be.

goggle image search something like 'Team Shanahan drift car on side'

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkime View Post
    okey,thanks.you probably right..Welding a rig will be more cost effective then i think..Even though the ebay ones is really cheap i will think it is difficult or expensive to ship to Norway.The cheapest rig i found in my county is about 1100gbp,maybe i find something used though.. btw here is the rollover wood jig i thinking of:

here is one made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YIZdwXgSao
    The cost of box steel isn't that high. If you are going under there to weld, you have to have a welder so make one. I bet you could buy enough steel boxing for £250 to make one. You could probably sell it for that or more afterwards.

Rides
    yeah thanks,gonna do some research on how much the material cost in my country.I found some some nice drawings of jigs doing a little googleing..but how much does the chassis weight approximately?