Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Standard Gems on eBay!

Rides

Some Standard Gems on eBay!

In keeping with the "they're going up in value trend", it would appear we really are in the time of the £10k S14a. Was on eBay having a snoop last night and came across these three.

1999, Kuro Black, Auto, 43k Miles, 1 owner from new. £8995 - LINK

2000, Sapphire Blue, Manual, 90k, 1 owner in the last 10 years, £9495 - LINK

2000, Emerald Green, Manual, 1 owner from new, £12495 - LINK

Can't check the history on the Black one because of the obscured plate, which is always an issue for me. The Blue one looks like it's had an honest life but maybe some lacklustre repairs that might need attention again and the Green one has very little info in the MoT history, which might mean it's actually doing OK.

Either way, happy days for S Body owners. Be careful with your cars folks, you actually have an asset.

Rides
    There is also of course the infamous Flame Red one that was up for £24,995 until recently dropped to £22,500 HERE, which has only 15k miles on the clock, but I think the £2495 price drop shows that we're not there yet.

Rides
    They're all really nice and I'm sorely tempted by the black auto if I'm honest. But at £6-7k not £9-£10k. £10k I'd be buying a tiptronic 996.

Rides
    That's the dilemma isn't it. I LOVE the idea of having a standard car in the garage for pure nost***ia, and I know I would love to drive it. But at £13k for the Green one, there are such 'better' cars out there if you want to a driving car.

Not sure I'd have the cahones to buy a £10k 911 though, it feels expensive! Ha.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    That's the dilemma isn't it. I LOVE the idea of having a standard car in the garage for pure nost***ia, and I know I would love to drive it. But at £13k for the Green one, there are such 'better' cars out there if you want to a driving car.

Not sure I'd have the cahones to buy a £10k 911 though, it feels expensive! Ha.
    It is indeed the dilemma. That's why I want the auto one. Less chance that I'll go modifying it and messing with it. Just leave it as is and bring it out in summer for some events and nice drives. I remember standard S14's being a fairly decent cruiser. You'll not lose money on one really.

The £10k 911's aren't always £10k for 'reasons' and there's a lot of half decent cars out there for that amount which just need a bit of tinkering to make nice cars. Brakes / exhausts / window mechs / generally tidying up.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Just looking at the strut tops of the black car would suggest it’s in pretty good condition.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    That black one, lovely. Hope it doesn't get bought and ruined.

Agree on the dilemma, probably 'better' cars for £10k, but arguably there as re few direct options that tick as many boxes.

Rides
    The greeen one was for sale a few months back at 7000. I tried getting it before I got mine but the seller ignored all contact.

Rides
    Holy moly, someone's chancing it then! I don't know if it's worth it, but I think we are very close to someone paying it. Maybe not just yet.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Agree on the dilemma, probably 'better' cars for £10k, but arguably there as re few direct options that tick as many boxes.
    Bit mad when you think just a few years ago cars like these were still cheap and changing hands for a few grand.

Now 10k for something decent? Crikey.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Bit mad when you think just a few years ago cars like these were still cheap and changing hands for a few grand.

Now 10k for something decent? Crikey.
    I know right:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-S20...kAAOSwCDtfziFO

There are so many good investments at the same price point that I'd struggle to pick a 200. I know it sounds like I'm doing them down, and I'm not trying to, but part of their appeal for me back in the day is that the were a good cheap RWD base for modification / power. As a standard car, I believe they're more GT and I'd take the S2000 / Boxster / 996 over one quite easily.

At £6k I'd buy that black auto right now, mind.

Rides
    A well sorted 200sx is the everyman's modern classic, not in terms of availability mind but certainly a blue collar car if you like. For me, much more interesting than a boxster or 996 tipronic. S2K and boxster very nice but compromised if you need those back seats with young families. 200sx is pretty rare now compared to everything else mentioned here so I don't see why good ones with sensible mods won't fetch the strong money...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pb63 View Post
    A well sorted 200sx is the everyman's modern classic
    See that's where I'd differ. I can't see a 'well sorted' 200SX being anything other than a modified car. I got pretty close to going to see / purchasing a 180SX recently but ultimately as much as the mods were sympathetic, they still made it more a modified car than a classic. If it were standard or even standard-ish I'd have jumped at it.

For me, much more interesting than a boxster or 996 tipronic.
    No doubt more interesting and rarer these days (but that's because more of them fell into the hands of morons/rusted out from under their owners rather than there were less of them built I'd wager), but since decent Boxsters have seen the bottom of the curve and are rising again, and along with Tip 996's make much nicer places to be than late 90's Japanese cars, you can see why I'd go there.

S2K and boxster very nice but compromised if you need those back seats with young families. 200sx is pretty rare now compared to everything else mentioned here so I don't see why good ones with sensible mods won't fetch the strong money...
    Anyone daily'ing a near standard modern classic 14a to the point they need rear seats I'd salute frankly but it would be by far the minority of buyers IMO.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    See that's where I'd differ. I can't see a 'well sorted' 200SX being anything other than a modified car. .
    When I say well sorted I'm talking about something which is close to original in looks (no bgw!!) but maybe some extra power mods stage 1 or 2 max. Wheels and a subtle suspension mod like nismo S tune. That's pretty much it

No doubt more interesting and rarer these days (but that's because more of them fell into the hands of morons/rusted out from under their owners rather than there were less of them built I'd wager), but since decent Boxsters have seen the bottom of the curve and are rising again, and along with Tip 996's make much nicer places to be than late 90's Japanese cars, you can see why I'd go there.
    I agree with you here on the morons part, but what would I rather go and have a closer look at, say at a car show for instance.... A 996 tip or really nice looking S14a... Part of the appeal from the ownership perspective is how much kudos the 200sx gets. Yes it has the whole drift shite attached to it, but if I see a nice clean one, amazing the amount of people flash you coming the other way, want to talk to you at petrol stations etc.... All part of the ownership experience IMO not sure you will get that with the others... Cant see a Boxster ever being classed as something 'special' in many people's eyes.... The 200 is already there in my experience. It is a cult modern classic.

Anyone daily'ing a near standard modern classic 14a to the point they need rear seats I'd salute frankly but it would be by far the minority of buyers IMO.
    Who said anything about dailying... I'm just on about enjoying your car in the nice weather with your whole family. My kids get so excited when they hear they're going out in daddy's blue car.... They think it's the millennium falcon or something
    Last edited by pb63; 11-12-2020 at 20:27.

Rides
    Who’s seen this little diamond in the “cough” rough, only £11k

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11053793

Rides
    When I say well sorted I'm talking about something which is close to original in looks (no bgw!!) but maybe some extra power mods stage 1 or 2 max. Wheels and a subtle suspension mod like nismo S tune. That's pretty much it
    Yeah see that's why I'd get the auto otherwise I know on a manual I'd be chasing 280bhp and then the merrigoround starts, where the suspension isn't good enough so you start tinkering there and then the brakes come next. For me, if it's a classic, it has to be pretty damn near standard and if there's just a couple of mods then I'd always be thinking well it's already modified so let's just mod some more.

Other people might have more restraint

I agree with you here on the morons part, but what would I rather go and have a closer look at, say at a car show for instance.... A 996 tip or really nice looking S14a... Part of the appeal from the ownership perspective is how much kudos the 200sx gets. Yes it has the whole drift shite attached to it, but if I see a nice clean one, amazing the amount of people flash you coming the other way, want to talk to you at petrol stations etc.... All part of the ownership experience IMO not sure you will get that with the others... Cant see a Boxster ever being classed as something 'special' in many people's eyes.... The 200 is already there in my experience. It is a cult modern classic.

I do understand that - I guess it's just not something that I particularly aspire to in car ownership; I tend to make car choices for me not for kudos from others. I know how nice it can be - I have a little smile on my face when the granddads come over and chat to me about my Enfield, but I don't mind my car disappearing into the background as long as I'm enjoying owning it. I guess that's why I've got the most hated Civic Type R and the most hated Porsche 911 in the stable.

Who said anything about dailying... I'm just on about enjoying your car in the nice weather with your whole family. My kids get so excited when they hear they're going out in daddy's blue car.... They think it's the millennium falcon or something
    Ah fair play, I don't have kids and thus the idea is lost on me

Rides
    But but but.. the S14, 911 and S2K are ALL utterly useless.

S13 is as good as a car can get without having to have a 2nd car to actually do stuff.

It's about 15cm longer internally than an ever so useless 5 door Golf or Mazda 323F so will take whole 3m lengths of copper pipe or wood or curtain rails. No need to take a saw or pipe cutter to B&Q.

Can't do this with S14.
    Can't do this with any 911.
    Can't do this with any 2 seater sports car.

Don't even have to take the wheels off the bike if it's only one.

Only one problem, nearly every one is utterly rotten.

Rides
    I might get some hate for saying this but a rotten car is only due to negligence. Looking after the underside of a car was part of correct maintenance in the past.

Rides
    I’m pretty sure the Black one has just been crashed so don’t worry about that one anymore.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Black one has just been crashed so don’t worry about that one anymore.
    By it's new owner? That's a shame.