Thread: My S14a Project

Rides

My S14a Project

I picked up my first S-Chassis car back in August following the sale of my twin turbo 350Z. My original plan was to get an S15 but the wife wanted the attic conversion so I had to settle with an S14

I'm no stranger to Japanese cars or Nissans having owned some of the below cars

HKS Supercharged 350Z

R34 GTR (All time dream car)

Supra TT6

Then there was the 2JZ 350Z that never got finished

2 x R33 GTRs

Impreza STI

Integra DC5

Then finally the rough TT 350Z with plans to move the forged engine & turbos into my original HKS S/C 350

I Picked up my S14a from AndyRT on here in August and have done a few bits to it already with a lot more planned for the future

When I got her home

I started off with a few simple things. Fitted my Pioneer double din head unit, HKS wideband gauge, Red LED dash bulbs, LED dome & boot lights,Tomei gearknob,fitted a 350Z aluminium foot rest and relocated the boost controller

Then i purchased a Defi boost gauge & control unit, Cusco carbon fibre strut brace, Uras triple gauge pod (not yet fitted), 350Z aluminium pedals, works bell hub & a personal steering wheel. I also carbon skinned my fuse box cover

Then i bought a heater control unit with LED lighting off one of the facebook groups

and a custom made oil catch can/washer combo tank and a Blitz air filter

Which brings me up to now, I've got a larger Koyo radiator to fit along with some silicone hoses and a 3" Bullet down pipe, and I am waiting on delivery of my Defi Oil temp, oil pressure & water temp guages and D-Max LED rear lights.

I'm also in the process of sound deadning the car to make it a bit more "Family Friendly" especially once a louder exhaust goes on

Long term, im planning a top mount turbo with link ECU but thats a year or 2 away yet, theres lots more supporting mods to do first

Rides
    You’ve owned the lot mate. Must be great to have experienced so many Jap greats.

Rides
    Hey bud, welcome!

Just out of interest why an s14a?

I would love to have a r34 or one of the other big boys. If you kept some of those you would be a rich man now.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Rides
    I like RWD cars, Turbos & JDM

And it had to have 4 seats as we have a 20 month old and was the only reason I sold the 350Z.

The cars I've owned pretty much form my dream garage (barring an R32 GTR). If I had kept all of the cars above I could have bought a bigger house rather than an attic conversion

Rides
    Nice wheels (all of them)!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by IanZed View Post
    I like RWD cars, Turbos & JDM

And it had to have 4 seats as we have a 20 month old and was the only reason I sold the 350Z.

The cars I've owned pretty much form my dream garage (barring an R32 GTR). If I had kept all of the cars above I could have bought a bigger house rather than an attic conversion
    I was thinking that. But then if you kept them all you'd also probably be living in a cardboard box lol!

The s14a is a great car. Had mine nearly 16 years now. Can't imagine ever letting it go. I have said that if the right r34 came along at the right price, its the only car that would replace the s14a.

Rides
    Oh question.. love your dash light mods. What size and how many bulbs? And from where please!

I am guessing the centre console switches are soldered. There was a thread years back on how to fix the lights but it looked to fiddly and I couldn't be asked.

Rides
    Got them on ebay, from memory they were 501 T10 LED bulbs. I wanted the 13 LED version but they were out of stock so I got the 9 LED version instead but TBH they dont fully light the whole dash so I'm looking for some alternative bulbs, i might try the 13 LED version and see if they give a better display.

The heater console was done by someone on the FB group, they need to be soldered and I dont have the patience to do it.

The R34 was an amazing car but it was so expensive to run and maintain. It also ruined car ownership for me, nothing compares to the 34 no matter what I try hence why I've had so many cars in the last 15 years (the 350Z was half of those years!)

Rides
    Got them on ebay, from memory they were 501 T10 LED bulbs. I wanted the 13 LED version but they were out of stock so I got the 9 LED version instead but TBH they dont fully light the whole dash so I'm looking for some alternative bulbs, i might try the 13 LED version and see if they give a better display.

The heater console was done by someone on the FB group, they need to be soldered and I dont have the patience to do it.

The R34 was an amazing car but it was so expensive to run and maintain. It also ruined car ownership for me, nothing compares to the 34 no matter what I try hence why I've had so many cars in the last 15 years (the 350Z was half of those years!)
    Thanks for the info buddy.

Proves my theory then R34 is king. Which variant did you have?

Rides
    Was a GTR non V-Spec

Rides
    Was a GTR non V-Spec
    Omg! Dont think I will get my hands on one of those. Be happy with a GTT

Rides
    Looks suspiciously like Hamish's panel

Very jealous of that car history, awesome stuff.

Rides
    Rest of my Defi's finally turned up, so i got them fitted along with the Uras gauge pod

Also got the Nismo 380RS accelerator pedal fitted along with some new floor mats

my Dmax rear lights are stuck in customs at the moment

Rides
    Been busy the last few weeks trying to get the S14 ready for when the nice weather comes back (and potential lockdowns ending!)

Its had a bit of a winter overhaul & I'm kinda at a cross roads with it at the moment.

Over winter, I've done the following to it;

Audi R8 Coilpacks
    THL R8 Coil Pack Harness
    Ignitor bypass harness
    Torque Damper
    GK Tech Oil Catch Can
    Koyo 53mm Radiator
    ARC Radiator Cap
    Samco Radiator Hoses
    Blitz LM Air Filter
    3" Downpipe
    3" decat pipe

Dmax LED rear lights

Rest of my Defi's fitted (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Water Temp & Boost) into the Uuas pod

All tucked up waiting for the nice weather & an MOT

Now onto the cross roads, the wife has given the greenlight to get another Skyline but it would obviously mean moving the S14 on. Theres not a huge amount of S14s out there for sale at the moment & have no idea what to price it at given the spec of the car

Rides
    Nice S14! But wow!You've had some list of dream cars!

Rides
    Have you seen the price of skylines lately? I would be trying to get every penny out of the s14 to pay for a skyline. The only ones that seem to be reasonably priced are R33s that need work.

R34s have just skyrocketed. A GTT is 30k now! I can't believe it. Wish I bought one when they were within reach. Guess I will be keeping the s14 for the foreseeable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Have you seen the price of skylines lately? I would be trying to get every penny out of the s14 to pay for a skyline. The only ones that seem to be reasonably priced are R33s that need work.

R34s have just skyrocketed. A GTT is 30k now! I can't believe it. Wish I bought one when they were within reach. Guess I will be keeping the s14 for the foreseeable.

Yeah 34s are mental money these days. I struggled to sell mine years ago

I'd be looking at a 32 or 33, preferably a rolling shell so that I can build it over the next few years now that I have the space and a bit more time.

Rides
    Oh nice. Look forward to seeing some sort of build thread