Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another how much is my car worth

Rides

Another how much is my car worth

Hi guys and girls,

Sorry for another one of these threads but I want your guys opinions as there is a total of 5 for sale at the minuite and the prices vary massively.

I never thought I’d do this and thought this would be one of them cars that stay with me for life. My plans were to sort the body work out this year then in a few years do an RB swap as I’ve always dreamt. However work have now put me onto a 4 year uni apprenticeship course. With this and working continental shifts my free time is going to be few and far between. So I am toying with the idea of selling my S13 then putting some more money towards an already done car that a friend is selling.

It’s a UK S13 1991 facelift I’ve own for the last 7 years.
    93400 miles CA18DET
    T28R (2560) turbo
    Front mount inter cooler
    Apex Air filter
    Greddy Boost controller (15psi of boost)
    Japspeed radiator
    Jaguar electric fan
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    3 inch cat less exhaust
    Depo gauges
    Modified front subframe
    Extended tie rods
    Hard race tie rod ends
    Hard race anti roll bar
    Modded knuckles
    HSD coilovers
    S14 4 pot front brakes
    Groved discs
    Braided brake pipes all round
    Corbeu Bucket seat
    Caged laser Full roll cage
    Driftworks Harnesses
    Stripped out rear interior
    New stereo

Engine is bang on, starts first turn of the key and is one of quietest CA’s I’ve heard and the car drives and pulls spot on. All the rust has been treated and welded and fresh under seal has been applied. Mechanically the car is sound. She is a bit tatty exterior but I’ll get it painted one colour if I decide to sell and put 13 months MOT.

Like I said just need some opinions on what you all think it’s worth to help me make my mind up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    has the engine ever been rebuilt?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    has the engine ever been rebuilt?
    I highly doubt it, it’s not been in my ownership and was laid up in a garage for 11 years when I purchased it but if it’s any conciliation it has only done around 3,000 miles with boost turned up

Rides
    Take pics of underneath to prove to future buyers its solid and is it worth getting second hand bumpers in good nick to make it look more appealing. You'd get more money that way. I think its worth at least 5K but it could be more, I haven't kept up with the prices this year.

Rides
    The value of original ones are on the up and up but I'm not sure that has carried over to modified ones. Its too modified to be practical to return it to standard so someone is going to buy it as is and drift it or use it as a base for a modding project.

The paintwork is tatty and the dildo interior is somewhat dated now and the turrets have been frankenstein welded.

On that basis, assuming the underside is solid, I think you should be looking for closer to 3,500 rather than 5K.

Just my opinion (which you asked for).

Rides
    Cheers chaps I’ve asked for your opinions so I can’t grumble at what you have said.

The car will be painted before sale but I do have a pig nose and shark nose and stock rear bumper to go with the car. I understand I’ve built this this for one purpose and that limits buyers, but I never thought I’d sell it either. Suppose I put it up for the money it is worth to me and if I don’t get it I keep it.

With regards to the turret tops the old ones were rusted so they have been drilled off, cleaned up, treated, painted, welded round the outside as this isn’t a concours build and sealed with seam sealer, so this surely can’t be a down side can it?

Rides
    What ECU are you running ?

I can't see anything referred to in your spec list.

If you are running an original unmodified ECU at 15 psi with a 2860R then you're pretty lucky it hasn't gone bang. At the very least you are likely to have detonation damage to the pistons and head.

Your spec is pretty classic Horsham Stage 2 chip setup. Given that you haven't had it go bang yet I would hazard a guess that that is what you will find inside the ECU if you open it up to check. If you don't then it needs one at the very least, if not more expensive modern kit. Mind you, huge kudos and no disrespect to the Horsham Stage chips, they work and work well, and if you are looking to sell then its very much the cheapest most cost effective option out there.

If you are looking to lose the hovercraft patchwork quilt drift spec for sale then as Dastardly suggests I'd source a front and rear bumper to suit. As it happens I have a facelift pair in somewhat scruffy Kuro black taking up space in my shed. None of the metal work or support brackets, just the plastic shells though. As you are a proper paid up forum member I don't want anything for them, just happy to get the space back, but the big problem is the distance from here in Surrey to wherever you are in the NW.

If you're interested drop me a PM.

Cheers and good luck
    Last edited by Rochester; 28-11-2020 at 18:26.

Rides
    On reflection Jonny is right, it's gone too far to economically return to anything close to or resembling OEM spec. Concur with his advice to sell as is for what you can get to a fellow drift enthusiast or as the basis for even further mods.

Would also tend to agree with his estimate of price, though like all these things it's only worth what someone will actually pay for it and the irony of a modified car is that the more you have spent on it the more it will have devalued it. A lesson I wish I'd heeded when I started modding cars in the early 80's. Wasted enough money to have bought a second house over the years. Then again, the ex-wife would have had that off me as well...

Rides
    Cheers for the advice and the offer of the bumpers however I’ve still got the stock facelift and also a pre-facelift bumpers with a stock uk rear bumper in storage from when I took them off. I think as this car is a drift car I am better painting the bumpers to match the car and sell it with them on? This was my plan to do in the new year anyway.

As for ECU sorry I’ve missed it off as with other stuff I have probably missed too but it’s running a HDev stage 2 chip but then I have an Apexi S-AFC installed to fine tune the map off the AEM wideband installed.

Rides
    Must confess I did suspect that it was an accidental omision from your spec list, as without it you'd have been lucky to have done 500 miles without fatal Det at 15psi, let alone 3K. Big envy for the S-AFC and AEM wideband, adds to the saleability !

Still not sure about the cost effectiveness of paint vs. sale as is... paint costs money, proper paint costs real money and anyone buying for drift is likely to have their own ideas about state of tune and body mods anyway...

GLWS, looks like a decently sound car.

Rides
    Thank you all for your input. I will slap the old pig nose bumper and stock rear bumper back on and get it for sale on Driftworks and similar after my next track day. From this I’ve figured it’s mainly about what I am willing to let it go for so I will have think and go from there

Mechanically the car is solid she is just tatty round the edges which doesn’t help.

Thanks for your input all

Rides
    Unless you're a really good painter yourself it's probably best to leave it and sell as is.
    You've gotta be really careful putting money into a car you're gunna sell, you might think you've increased it's value, the next guy could very well see it as a total waste.

It's really hard to judge prices right now, the second hand market is very buoyant as many people are looking to save money so buying used instead of new.
    However with so many people staring down redundancy it might mean the market for less practical toys is not great.
    Last edited by R3K1355; 29-11-2020 at 10:56.

Rides
    a lad local to me painted his car with graffiti spray paint, flatted it back and polished it, it looks really good and I didn't know it wasn't a proper paintjob till he said.

personally I would leave the bodykit on as it would be more appealing to the drifters.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Unless you're a really good painter yourself it's probably best to leave it and sell as is.
    You've gotta be really careful putting money into a car you're gunna sell, you might think you've increased it's value, the next guy could very well see it as a total waste.

It's really hard to judge prices right now, the second hand market is very buoyant as many people are looking to save money so buying used instead of new.
    However with so many people staring down redundancy it might mean the market for less practical toys is not great.
    Cheers Tom,

I know this isn’t the market to sell and if I’m honest I didn’t think I would be selling it after 7 years of ownership, however it is only because I am starting a university apprenticeship that I have thought about selling abs potentially buying a friends car that is done painted and RB swapped. I don’t mind at all keeping it if I can’t get enough money for it and I’ll just get it painted for summer, raise it up and make it more road friendly.

The current cars on the market seem to contradict each other which is why I was asking in here just to see if it is a viable option to sell mine or not.

Either way once Covid has settled down after the new year be good have a drive up to you with the old girl seen as I didn’t bring it last time

Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    a lad local to me painted his car with graffiti spray paint, flatted it back and polished it, it looks really good and I didn't know it wasn't a proper paintjob till he said.

personally I would leave the bodykit on as it would be more appealing to the drifters.
    Viable option for sure if I can get it done quick enough. I do have a friend with a compressor and paint gun who paints his cars and has said just to cover the paint costs but don’t know if it’s worth putting the money into it to sell. I think I will just sell it with all the bumpers I have and then the new owner can just decide what they would like to run.

Thank you all for your help and opinions, they are genuinely appreciated. This isn’t a car I need to sell, I am just seeing if selling this and buying a car that has everything I was going to do, done already is a better or not as time will now limited.

Rides
    To me the choice between a car you’ve owed for 7 years and a car that’s built is simple, stick with yours and build it when time and money is available

Rides
    If you put that up for £3500 I honestly reckon it'd be gone in days. I'd try for at least £5k personally.

It's a total sellers market right now. 5 is the most S13's I've heard of for sale for a long time and I'm scanning daily on my parts hunt.

Put it up and see what happens. Expect a shit tonne of feedback from the internet regardless. And when Mr. Battye sees your ECU chip choice, expect plenty of negative comments as his little bummer squaddies turn up in force.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    If you put that up for £3500 I honestly reckon it'd be gone in days. I'd try for at least £5k personally.

It's a total sellers market right now. 5 is the most S13's I've heard of for sale for a long time and I'm scanning daily on my parts hunt.

Put it up and see what happens. Expect a shit tonne of feedback from the internet regardless. And when Mr. Battye sees your ECU chip choice, expect plenty of negative comments as his little bummer squaddies turn up in force.
    Pretty new to the forum so interested in the history behind the comments on the ECU chip choice? is it because the hdev chip is more of a generic solution than a custom map? surely its a great option compared to the price of a dedicated standalone ECU? I used them a few months ago, amazing service, such nice guys, went for the nistune chip in the end because there was a bit more documentation online but was strongly considering the hdev chip

Rides
    Horsham Developments is a well known and respected outfit that sell a lot of chips and do a lot of tuning for S-chassis cars. Jez, the owner is a nice guy.
    Some people experienced lean running of their Stage 2 setups when running an HD Stage 2 chip when they put it on a dyno.
    Martin Battye is a fairly outspoken ex-contributor to this forum who has tuning skills/experience on S-chassis cars and as such could be seen to have a business that competes with HD.

Both tuning shops have their fanbois.

Pieman likes to shit stir.

I think that about sums it up

Rides
    Ok thanks for the history
    My personal experience with hdev and Jez was fantastic, really helpful and patient and a pleasure to deal with

Rides
    Jez doesn’t have fan boys. Jez has customers. His products and work are great, tried and tested.

My point was that your ECU choice is absolutely fine, well proven and well respected in the circles that actually know about 200s. But social media sales posts are consistently occupied by people who have been convinced that H-Dev chips are no good, ring lead by one person. Most of them weren’t even walking when Jez was rolling out the first chips.

It’s not shit stirring, it’s preparing you.