Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Choices

Rides

Wheel Choices

Hello!

I understand that I have a stock 200sx and I need to preserve its purity however I would really like to get some different alloys for it! Of course, I'll keep the original but I'd like to see what everyone recommends and if there are any sizes I should consider, I will probably stick to 16 - 17 inch as that seems to be the best size.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea!

Thanks,

Ciaran

Rides
    R33 GTR wheels, can't really go wrong

Rides
    I think 17s will be a good choice. Not sure about offset but I’m sure someone on here can recommend a good choice to look for

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    R33 GTR wheels, can't really go wrong
    Agree with Ben.

Rides
    These would suit your car but only 16’s

Nissan Skyline R32 GTR standard factory wheels and tyres https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114389906800

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nero53 View Post
    You do know you'll need 5 stud hub conversion, right?

Rides
    no clue! I'm not very good with this haha

Rides
    no clue! I'm not very good with this haha
    S13 stud pattern 4x114.3 where 4 is the number of studs that hold the wheel on and 114.3 is the pitch circle diameter, which is the diameter of the circle that you'd be able to draw to go through the middle of the stud holes in the wheel.

S14/300ZX/Skyline wheels are all 5 stud - 5x114.3 actually, which is a really common wheel in Jap market. There's loads of them about - but they won't fit your hubs as is. You'd need to get 5 stud hubs from an S14 plus a few other fiddly bits like moog balljoints.

In short, probably not worth the aggro because then - guess what - you're modifying it; and you'll end up wanting new suspension to lower the car to suit the rims, etc etc etc.

Rides
    Ahh its all so tedious haha! I have no idea about mechanical stuff, sorry for my ignorance. I'll look for 4x144.3!

Rides
    I'll look for 4x144.3!
    Ah but it's not that simple. You have to get the right:
    1) Offset - this is the measurement of how far out from the arch or into the arch the wheel will sit - that sort of depends on;
    2) Width - wider wheels, you have to be even more careful with the offset otherwise you might need;
    3) Spacers - which will space the wheels out from the hub to bring them out flush to the arch line if the offset isn't strong enough or;
    4) Clearance - if the offset is wrong and you can't clear the brake callipers or the suspension upright but then even if you don't do that then;
    5) Spoke design - if you get a spoke that comes back towards the calliper then you could end up with your brakes catching / fouling the rim.

Yeah, good luck

Rides
    I have no idea about mechanical stuff, sorry for my ignorance
    You sure a 90's Jap sports car is for you? They're not exactly known for their reliability.

Rides
    So say go down the root of conversion. I found this online: https://www.driftworks.com/nissan-4-...s-25-50mm.html

Is this what I would need?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    You sure a 90's Jap sports car is for you? They're not exactly known for their reliability.
    YEP! I want to learn and I just love driving this car

Rides
    So say go down the root of conversion. I found this online: https://www.driftworks.com/nissan-4-...s-25-50mm.html

Is this what I would need?

It's a 'cheat' way of doing it. I've never used them personally nor bolt on spacers of any particular type - sure others may have, and could advise. I'm sure they'd be fine, but it's not the way I'd go about it (but then with your car being so original, I wouldn't go about it by swapping the hubs either).

You'd have to watch the clearance on any wheels you did buy as you're adding 25mm to the offset.

Rides
    9j ET 5 on an s13 is what you’d get if you went with the 25mm 4-5 converters. According to calculations from here https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Whee...et-Calculator# you’ll end up with 73mm more wheel poke! Assuming you currently on 6j ET 40

Rides
    Chances are the wheels won't fit with those conversion spacers, not without hacking the arches about.

Rides
    Yep too much poke, will look like a monster truck at standard ride height too.

I’d focus my efforts and money on future proofing, ensuring the under body is solid and well protected is a must!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    9j ET 5 on an s13 is what you’d get if you went with the 25mm 4-5 converters. According to calculations from here https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Whee...et-Calculator# you’ll end up with 73mm more wheel poke! Assuming you currently on 6j ET 40
    There clearly is a lot more into this than I expected! Got a lot to learn clearly, all this terminology is confusing

Rides
    This will explain wheel offset and what the ET number means https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCb3eRF1oY4