Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Yaris GR4 - Homologation special

  1. #1
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0

    Yaris GR4 - Homologation special

    https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/yaris/2...-under-ps30000





    Specs:
    1.6 Turbo - 3 cylinder!
    257bhp
    266lbft
    6 speed Manual
    Haldex switchable 4WD - 60/40; 30/70; 50/50
    Optional LSD's front and rear axle
    30k!


    I have to say I'm finding this about the most exciting motah to come out of Japan for a fair old while. It should be a hoot and it's seriously impressive with its performance figures for a 3 cylinder engine. All of the usual press sources seem to rate it highly

  2. #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    20,354
    Rides
    0
    Press are going mad for it, haven't seen anyone say anything negative about anything other than the interior. Monkey loves it. PH love it.

  3. #3
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Press are going mad for it, haven't seen anyone say anything negative about anything other than the interior. Monkey loves it. PH love it.
    Just watched a road test of it which I won't link to as the guy presenting is about as likeable as a dose of the clap but it really does seem a proper hoonery drivers' car and sounds pretty good too

  4. #4
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,067
    Rides
    0
    This or a 2 year old M2/3 year old Cayman though ............
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  5. #5
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    This or a 2 year old M2/3 year old Cayman though ............
    Always the same though isn't it - old versus new.

  6. #6
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    walsall/tamworth
    Posts
    6,609
    Rides
    0
    I drove one a couple of months back but sadly not with too much anger but it did feel like it would be a total hoot on the twisty bits. it has a track day mode you activate by pressing a button by the gearshifter. not sure I would want to drop 30k on one though.

  7. #7
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,067
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Always the same though isn't it - old versus new.
    Youve changed, a 2 year old car IS new FFS

    I can see it when its your family ride but when youre buying what will realistically be a weekend car unless you get a hard on over the new car smell a couple if years isnt overly important, youve also got over the VAT depreciation, valid comparison for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  8. #8
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Youve changed, a 2 year old car IS new FFS

    I can see it when its your family ride but when youre buying what will realistically be a weekend car unless you get a hard on over the new car smell a couple if years isnt overly important, youve also got over the VAT depreciation, valid comparison for me.
    I've not

    I didn't mean it's not a valid comparison - it's just always a comparison that ends the same way; the 2 year old car always wins out. But someone has got to buy that 2 year old car new in the first place for anyone to have a sniff at it.

  9. #9
    Member sx rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,864
    Rides
    0
    I’m tempted by this! Seems like a good little car that should hold its value pretty well.

  10. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Helston, West Cornwall
    Posts
    24,393
    Rides
    0
    If you buy the Yaris as a lease car, 360 a month. Cayman = 850 a month....yes, I know that's a new one.

    That's less than 4,500 a year (unless you plan on doing monster miles) for four years of fun and more car people will coo over that than a Cayman.

  11. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Chippenham/Dover
    Posts
    2,111
    Rides
    0
    There are a couple 2JZ conversions of this already in Japan, Cusco and Daigo Saito.

    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/her...yota-gr-yaris/

    https://paultan.org/2020/09/07/drift...r-yaris-2jz-8/

  12. #12
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,067
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If you buy the Yaris as a lease car, 360 a month. Cayman = 850 a month....yes, I know that's a new one.

    That's less than 4,500 a year (unless you plan on doing monster miles) for four years of fun and more car people will coo over that than a Cayman.
    Now this is a fair point, from a buying outright POV it prob doesnt make sense but on a PCP its a lot more realistic

    And has got me thinking too, 360 a month is bugger all if its as good as its supposed to be .........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  13. #13
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Now this is a fair point, from a buying outright POV it prob doesnt make sense but on a PCP its a lot more realistic

    And has got me thinking too, 360 a month is bugger all if its as good as its supposed to be .........
    Be surprised if that's not not a few bag-o-sands down as deposit too, mind.

  14. #14
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Spotted this on another site:

    This weeks 'Autocar' front page says it's the best hot hatch of 2020 and inside it won the 'best affordable driver's car award' thrashing the Type R, Fiesta St and GTi.

    More impressively it came 3rd overall in the 'Best Driver's Car' rankings behind the Atom and McL 765LT. The 992 came 4th.

    Interesting.

  15. #15
    I <3 BBS LM Actual_Ben_Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    23,563
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Be surprised if that's not not a few bag-o-sands down as deposit too, mind.
    Edit:

    24 months, 0% APR, 5k down, 358.98 per month.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 19-11-2020 at 13:51.

  16. #16
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Helston, West Cornwall
    Posts
    24,393
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Be surprised if that's not not a few bag-o-sands down as deposit too, mind.
    I didn't keep any details when I looked up the PCP but I just found this...

    2,000 deposit, lease over 42 months, 8K miles/yr, 376/month, optional final payment of 14K. That's with Toyota. I haven't shopped around.

  17. #17
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Helston, West Cornwall
    Posts
    24,393
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Now this is a fair point, from a buying outright POV it prob doesnt make sense but on a PCP its a lot more realistic

    And has got me thinking too, 360 a month is bugger all if its as good as its supposed to be .........
    You also have a point when talking cash though, Doc. I wouldn't swap it for my Jag. Same money and it doesn't even have sat nav unless you buy the "convenience pack" for an extra 3K.

  18. #18
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You also have a point when talking cash though, Doc. I wouldn't swap it for my Jag. Same money and it doesn't even have sat nav unless you buy the "convenience pack" for an extra 3K.
    Who wants a sat nav though honestly. I hate the things.

  19. #19
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,067
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Who wants a sat nav though honestly. I hate the things.
    I used to say that, and now Im dead set that my next car will need Android Auto so I can use Waze
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  20. #20
    Guest arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,723
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I used to say that, and now Im dead set that my next car will need Android Auto so I can use Waze
    I hate all the fancy newfangled stuff - just want to drive.

    I bought a Beeline for the bike - that's about as far as I want to go with nav.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •